Kahr CM9 - finally

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9 - finally within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been bouncing around about a pocket gun for about 1-1/2 years ... ever since I got rid of my last two Ruger LCPs after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kahr CM9 - finally

Kahr CM9 - finally

I've been bouncing around about a pocket gun for about 1-1/2 years ... ever since I got rid of my last two Ruger LCPs after a trip back to the factory. My main EDC gun is a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock and I have nothing but praise for that weapon, but when I looked at my old Remington 870 tactical shotgun sitting in the closet, my mind kept drifting back to the many good reviews about the Kahr CM9.

Just so happens I'm in a local pawn shop a couple weeks ago and they have a used CM9 in the case, so I take it out and hold it - feels nice and the trigger is long but smooth. I especially liked the weight and thickness. Traded in my shotgun and $60 and walked out with the Kahr. So far, about 70 perfect rounds down the tube, including Federal HST 124+P hollow points. I am pleased.

A shooting buddy of mine has a couple of Kahrs and he suggests that it is important to changed the main recoil spring at least once a year, even if I don't shoot it much. Does anyone have a similar experience and/or suggestion? Is there any telltale sign that the spring is fading out? (Other than a failure to cycle properly?)

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. - As soon as my Pearce mag plate and A&G mag adapter arrives for the 7-round mag I bought, I'll try to post some pictures, along with the Remora holster I got with the 30% discount.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

I have the CM40 and it has been a fantastic pistol for me the last six months. I have around 600-700 trouble free rounds through it so far and carry it off duty daily. The Kahr pistols are a fine defensive weapon but do require some prior experience. Many of the bad reports on the Kahr guns can be attributed to the break in period and lack of patience of know how on the operator side. They are really quality guns.
    zonker1986 likes this.

My brother in law just got one. It's the first "pocket size" I've fired. It really is harder to shoot. I loved it though, I wish someone made bar sights for my PPQ

I'm new to guns, but researched for a long time and fired many belong to friends as well as rentals. CM9 was the winner for a small sized 9mm. No regrets and the only issue was some hiccups with a specific type of ammo, not uncommon for the subcompacts I'm told.

I got different answers from different techs at Kahr on this question about my PM9. One said to replace the spring every 1000 rounds, the other every 1500. I'd do it every 1000 just to be sure.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Congrats on the CM9!I have about 4 different Kahrs and I have always used the 1500 to change out the spring. I had one that got close to 2000 before a change and I could tell it started to need one. Once I put the new one in it was a huge difference. I think 1500 is the magic number.

Welcome aboard the CM9 bandwagon! Ive had mine since February and have put about 700 rounds through it without a single problem. Love it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Check out kahrtalkDOTcom if u haven't already. Lots of good people/info there!! Congrats
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have carried a cm9 for a few years now and I tend to change spring at 1000 rounds. I also shoot enough +p ammo along with the practice ammo that it just makes sense. 1000 rounds or 1500 rounds may depend more on the ammo you use. If you had bought a 4" 1911 you would be changing spring ever 500 rounds. Its simple mantainence. Buy a few extra springs and don't worry about it. They are an easy pistol to shot well concerdering the size but not a range gun by any means. You may want to add some kind of aid for better grip and control. Rubber grip stick-ons , slip-ons made for the cm9 or an old piece of 1.75" inner tube cut to cover as much grip as you can. I have two other poly kahrs and all wear inner tubes. I have around 1400 rounds now thru two of my kahrs and about 800 thru the newest one. Zero issues.

Awesome gun yup springs are an item on subcompact that require some attention but they are low cost. I say every 1000 or so rounds of +P change it out but most importantly clean the gun and lube the gun. If you saw what I can do in drills with my CW 9 would be amazed it is an incredible accurate and effective weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by jrizzleP95 View Post
    Check out kahrtalkDOTcom if u haven't already. Lots of good people/info there!! Congrats
    Yup what he said. Go to the Kahr Tech sub forum and read the stickys. Proper prep of a Kahr and the lubrication diagram threads are very valuable for trouble free shooting.

congrats on your Kahr. I'm on my fifth or sixth, a cm9 that is reserved for dress up, shirt tail in occasions that require pocket carry on my part.

Thanks everyone. Since I filed the original post I've gotten a Pearce mag extension for the six-round magazine and an A&G magazine spacer for a 7-round magazine, along with a Remora holster. Everything seems to work reliably with standard pressure HPs and some 124 +P Federal HST loads. I'm not saying I'm ready to give up on my Gen 4 Glock 26, but I can see where this gun might get more use ... never thought I'd say that about anything other than a Glock.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Welcome to the Kahr shooters.

Gifted my awesome PM9 to my oldest son and replaced it with the neat little CW45.

Excellent quality weapons.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by 1gunsnowbird View Post
    Thanks everyone. Since I filed the original post I've gotten a Pearce mag extension for the six-round magazine and an A&G magazine spacer for a 7-round magazine, along with a Remora holster. Everything seems to work reliably with standard pressure HPs and some 124 +P Federal HST loads. I'm not saying I'm ready to give up on my Gen 4 Glock 26, but I can see where this gun might get more use ... never thought I'd say that about anything other than a Glock.
    How do you like that A&G mag spacer? I have thought about one for my PM9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links