Should I swap my PM9 for a XDS 9?

This is a discussion on Should I swap my PM9 for a XDS 9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM (with big dot night sights) and was looking for something a bit more solid and with a hair more in ...

View Poll Results: PM9 or XDS 9mm

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • XDS 9mm

23 50.00%
  • Kahr PM9 with NS

23 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I swap my PM9 for a XDS 9?

Should I swap my PM9 for a XDS 9?

I have a Kahr PM (with big dot night sights) and was looking for something a bit more solid and with a hair more in the capacity area. What are your thoughts about a swap with and XDS 9mm? Size, quality, concealment, etc..

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Don't trade a proven gun for a brand new release. Give it a year or so, then revisit the decision.

Fitch
    Kilowatt3 and Hodad like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

save up your lunch money and buy the second gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I think the PM9 is a better gun IMO for CCW ,I have not shot the XDs9 but I do own the PM9 and I did
    own a XDs 45 which I thought was average at best,the PM9 I think is better made more accurate and better machined

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think it depends. If you want a bigger gun, then I suppose the XDS 9 would be the way to go. I think Kahr's P9 is a closer comparison to the new XDS 9, as the XDS 9 is slightly over .75" longer than the PM9 (& CM9 for that matter) & a hair over .25" longer than the P9 (& CW9). They're all about the same wdth, but I believe the Kahrs are lighter.

As has been mentioned, the Kahrs are proven, while the XDS 9 is very new. I only see 2 possible advantages to getting the larger XDS 9.
    1. Shorter reset trigger. Not sure if the XD's trigger is nicer or not otherwise.
    2. Slightly higher capacity. The PM9 is 7 or 8 rounds total (Flush or extended mag) & the P9 is 8 rounds, though you can get a TP9 mag that'll give you 9 rounds total.

While I've shot some XDs, I've never owned 1. However I've owned 3 different Kahrs & still own 2 (A CM9 & a P45).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have a 10+1 9mm (HK P2000SK), but I chose to keep my Kahr PM9 and I'm glad I did. The PM9 is a true pocket gun. You can carry it comfortably during hot summer outings when a holstered gun is both uncomfortable and more visible. When concealment is easy, I go with my 10+1 holster gun. But the Kahr PM9 allows me to carry comfortably at times when temperature and wardrobe make it more difficult to carry a bigger gun.

Also, my Kahr is dependable and accurate. I think it's a keeper.

I own a PM9 and really like it. I am intrigued by the XDS9 because I usually carry IWB where I can get away with something larger than the PM9 and would appreciate the extra rounds in the Springfield. But, I do not plan to get rid of my PM9. There are still times when I want to/need to pocket carry and that is something that the XDS will not do as well as the PM9.

The xds is very concealable. I have the .45 and you would just about have to be carrying it in a bulky holster, while wearing a leotard to get it to print. But I would shoot one first. Had a buddy trade a pm9 for an xds and he really misses his pm9. One isn't better than the other, he just shot better w/ the kahr.

IMHO, the PM9 is already marginal for pocket carry, especially from a weight perspective. If you ever pocket carry, I would suggest you keep the PM9. If you only IWB carry, then it is simply which you shoot better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I like the pm9 and to me every XD I've ever fired felt like it was made out of Legos. Just my take on it. I know others like them though. I'd try and rent it at the range before buying any polymer springfield

I have the PM9 and I am considering the XDs9. I would not trade my PM9 for it. They would have very specific roles in my arsenal.

More solid? Not sure what you mean by that. My CM9 (economic version of PM9) is great. The quality of the PM9 is way above a xds. Match grade barrel. Excellent attention to detail on the slide. It isn't $200-$300 more than the xds for nothing. Not bashing the xds. I thought about getting one myself, but not at the expense of my CM9 (much less the PM9).
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member
    No. Why? The differences in size are so small as not to matter. I have owned both and sold the PM9 a while ago. Recently bought the XDs in .45 and although it is a good shooter, I do not like how it feels in my hand. The 9mm version is the same frame for the .45 and they had to make the barrel thicker to fit and that makes it heavier than the .45 version. The PM9 is much lighter and better quality in my opinion. I am trying to get rid of my XDs and replace it with something else. I just do not like very thin grips. Do not feel right in my hands and being comfortable with your gun does matter in a gun fight. You want your gun to fill your hand and become an extension of it. I just do not get that feeling from the XDs. I had the same problem with the LC9. I like a palm filling grip. I put Hogue wraparounds on every gun that I can. :)
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I think Springfield completely missed the mark with the XDs 9mm. They had an opportunity to introduce a new single stack 9mm to the market that could have offered the end user a 9mm modeled after the popular XDs 45 with the added benefits of being smaller, lighter and more easily concealable with increased capacity that could have possibly been a fantastic pocket gun (a role the XDs 45 doesn't quite properly fill in my opinion). Instead of that we got a heavier XDs 45 that shoots 9mm ammo.

Big miss Springfield, BIG MISS.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by phil413tx View Post
    I have the PM9 and I am considering the XDs9. I would not trade my PM9 for it. They would have very specific roles in my arsenal.
    What roles do you feel that each respective gun will fill? The PM9 vs XDS 9? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links