Taurus Poly Revolvers?

This is a discussion on Taurus Poly Revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking of getting a small revolver as a BUG. Very interested in the Taurus Model 85 or 605 Poly versions. Anyone have ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Taurus Poly Revolvers?

Taurus Poly Revolvers?

I have been thinking of getting a small revolver as a BUG. Very interested in the Taurus Model 85 or 605 Poly versions. Anyone have them? They any good? Not sure how well a poly frame would hold up, that's the only thing keeping me from making the commitment to get one. Any input from those with experience with them would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Bought an 85UL for the GF a while back and have 250-300rds through it so far without a hitch. Cylinder lockup is secure and in line with no movement. I would expect this little revolver to last a good while before needing anything significant.

Recoil is manageable and you can easily get all 5 shots on target at any self-defensive distance. Sight picture is a little difficult to aquire for me at speed due to shallow channel. I have noticed that it tends to shoot a bit high when properly aligned, though, i don't see that as a big deal. Overall for a BUG I would recommend this one, especially if money is tight.

You lost me at Taurus....... I have an LCr, and the polymer frame has zero issues. Hope you have better luck with taurus than i did.
    Snub44 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    There are Taurus's out there that work. But that doesn't warrant recommendation.

I have a 85 Ultra lite and a Polymer DT 357 magnum. I wouldn't get rid of either one. The poly 357 has more recoil of course but nothing that is unmanageable especially with the full size grip. Both shoot well and are easily concealable. No complaints with my two Taurus revolvers.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member
    I bought the 357 poly pro a few months ago. It has a nice kick to it, but it's easy to shoot. Has a good trigger pull and is nice a crisp in single action. I don't trust Taurus semis, but have had good luck with their revolvers. It's a keeper. Good luck

If your going revolvers why take a chance on taurus, get a 642, 640, or a sp101 no chance of dud

I went with a Taurus model 85 ultra-lite because the price was right. I couldn't see spending $500 for a platform that doesn't throw a .38 caliber piece of lead any better than a $279 one. I'm well pleased with the Taurus revolver.

I had a Taurus poly protector with about 250-300 rounds through it trouble free. I ended up trading it for something else but not because of any issues with the gun. I already had a Taurus 85UL and the Poly was pretty much an impulse buy.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The poly frame is ok and has been fine with my LCR. But the LCR is lighter. If I remember right the Taurus poly is in the 20 some odd ounce weight and is more in line with the weight of the SP101. If I'm carrying something that heavy I want it with the solid reliability of an all steel revolver.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Links