Cutting grips down...?

Cutting grips down...?

This is a discussion on Cutting grips down...? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't say I agree with this. I've got a 27 for carry, because it's compact, and that's it. I got it because a LEO ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cutting grips down...?

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Cutting grips down...?

I can't say I agree with this. I've got a 27 for carry, because it's compact, and that's it.
    I got it because a LEO I hunt with said he wouldn't carry anything else off duty.

I have big hands, and it is not a comfortable pistol for me to shoot.

I simply cannot imagine cutting a full sized pistol down to compact...

I sort of feel like this is destroying a perfectly good pistol.

Practical Advantages of Grip Length Reduction - PDN Videos

Thoughts?

It's a Glock, who cares if you cut it up!!! LoL!

Try a CZ I went from g17 to CZ 75 P01 what a difference see if you can shoot somebodys

The only advantage to cutting the grips down is to keep the longer sight radius. IMO, its a waste of time unless there is a truly specific need for it, but i cant think of one. However, i will not say anyone is wrong for it. If having a full length gun with a shortened grip gives you the confidence you need to carry safely , then I say go for it !
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I do quite a bit of this modification on Glocks & M&P's.. I think it's due to more people carrying appendix style..

TX expat likes this.

Thoughts?
    If I wanted a gun with a shorter grip I'd buy one. I would not do a chop job on the one I have and I would never buy a used gun that someone else had chopped down.
    Last edited by wmhawth; June 14th, 2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added thought

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    The only advantage to cutting the grips down is to keep the longer sight radius. IMO, its a waste of time unless there is a truly specific need for it, but i cant think of one. However, i will not say anyone is wrong for it. If having a full length gun with a shortened grip gives you the confidence you need to carry safely , then I say go for it !
    also with the heavier slide it will help with recoil and muzzle flip resulting in better accuracy and faster target acquisition on follow up shots over a compact pistol.

I wouldn't do this, only because there would always be nagging doubts in the back of my mind (possibly unfounded) that all the heating, cooling, and hacking might possibly make the frame more likely to fail at some point. I'm sure someone will post that they had a hack job done and have X gazillion rounds downrange with no issues, but that sample size of one does not instill confidence in me.

I'd rather take a baby Glock, and add a longer barrel. If you want the benefits of a longer sight radius, use a laser and/or a red dot. Just leave the frame alone!!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I wouldn't do this, only because there would always be nagging doubts in the back of my mind (possibly unfounded) that all the heating, cooling, and hacking might possibly make the frame more likely to fail at some point. I'm sure someone will post that they had a hack job done and have X gazillion rounds downrange with no issues, but that sample size of one does not instill confidence in me.

I'd rather take a baby Glock, and add a longer barrel. If you want the benefits of a longer sight radius, use a laser and/or a red dot. Just leave the frame alone!!
    I do not heat & cool anything maybe others do..

How would you get a longer sight radius by dropping in a longer barrel when your sights are in the same place? It may make the gun slightly more accurate.. Most frames are modified for CCW purposes but the longer slide also has benefits over a compact .

Cutting and grinding causes friction, which causes heat. Stippling uses heat as well.

A longer barrel does not give you a longer sight radius, but it gives you some of the other advantages...more velocity, some more weight for less muzzle flip, etc. The laser and/or red dot gives you a much longer "sight radius" than a slightly longer slide.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Cutting and grinding causes friction, which causes heat. Stippling uses heat as well.

A longer barrel does not give you a longer sight radius, but it gives you some of the other advantages...more velocity, some more weight for less muzzle flip, etc. The laser and/or red dot gives you a much longer "sight radius" than a slightly longer slide.
    No heat used here.. My cuts are cuts and don't melt .. I kind of hear what you are saying but to me lasers are gimmicky..

VIP Member
    If I want a gun with a shorter grip, I'll just buy one.
    OldVet and Taurahe like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The 17 chopped down to a 19 is the gun Glock should have made in the first place.
    lsbbigdog and jdsumner like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I second the motion to just buy a weapon with a smaller grip, if that's what you're looking for. Never in a million years would I chop up my G19. I'll just buy the G26 instead, and I plan to do so soon.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Glock 30 was a bit long in the trigger reach dimension. Tried a G30SF and for whatever reason didn't feel any improvement. So on a whim, I heated the back of the grip with a heat gun and squeezed the crap out of it. The difference is not visually noticeable, but the feel is much improved. It's something of a custom fit for my hand, even as little as it changed. Oh, and wear a leather glove before trying it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links