Taurus +P rating

This is a discussion on Taurus +P rating within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Taurus PT-111 that I bought partially because the catalog said it was +P rated (see the screenshot from the catalog that is ...

Thread: Taurus +P rating

Taurus +P rating

I have a Taurus PT-111 that I bought partially because the catalog said it was +P rated (see the screenshot from the catalog that is attached). I was reading through another posting and someone said that they had spoken to Taurus and they said their handguns were not +P rated. I did a little more digging and found that in my manual it says that +P is dangerous. (see attached) So which is it? I have put in a message to Taurus, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight. If this gun is not +P rated I am going to seek a refund.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    recient production taurus guns are fine with +p ammo , note that the disclaimer says +p may be harmefull to some guns , which is true . About any taurus built in the last 10 years or so will be fine , tho many i have seen from the 80s and before i wouldnt trust.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I spoke with Taurus USA customer service yesterday afternoon. He said the only Taurus pistols that are rated for +p are the 38sp. All others, you're taking a risk.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
    - Alexis de Tocqueville - 1835

I was going to get the pt-111 mil-pro. Until I heard that they wernt rated for +p ammo. I then made my choice for the springfield xdsc 9mm which will handle +p per springfied. And I love the gun. Its about the same size as the taurus. Good luck.

Sixgun

sounds like +p is for revolvers not pistols, pick a qaulity standard load it should work fine for you.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    My manual for my 1991 vintage Taurus 92 states that +P is not acceptable.

It goes on to say that my pistol is not guaranteed reliable with anything other than 124gr@1230fps. That's +P ammo.

I'd count it as a disclaimer, keep in mind that +P will accelerate wear, and not worry about it. The stuff will not blow your gun up in your hand unless something else is wrong.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    Probably don't need +p out to 15 yds.
    If you do and are concerned with +p go to a bigger cal weapon

Links