Looking for an XDS .45 and ended up with a Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on Looking for an XDS .45 and ended up with a Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been checking my local board for gun deals. I missed out on two XDS's last week because I took a day to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Looking for an XDS .45 and ended up with a Shield 9mm

VIP Member

Looking for an XDS .45 and ended up with a Shield 9mm

So I have been checking my local board for gun deals. I missed out on two XDS's last week because I took a day to justify to myself why I should purchase this gun. In the meantime two good deals came up and while I snoozed I loozed.

I pulled up the board today and saw a shield 9mm for a reasonable, non-profiteering price. After five minutes I replied "I'll take it." So tomorrow morning I should be the owner of a NIB unfired Shield 9mm. (I had given up on a Shield because none of the stores have them in stock and the locals are selling them for about $75 - $100 more than the gun stores).

Any recommendations for good IWB and OWB holsters? I'm thinking Remora for the IWB, but my mainstay OWB Galco concealable belt holster doesn't seem to be available for the Shield (also I'm not a paddle holster fan).

And yes, I'm still looking for the XDS in .45. PEF want Boom Fist.

And double yes, I know this goes against the "simplifying" my "carry rotation" thread I started a few weeks back. But what can I say? I'm a gun nut. I have faults, and I recognize them (and in today's emasculated society my self awareness entitles me to many congratulatory replies and virtual hugs).

PEF
    buckeyebersa and Phaedrus like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

If I didn't carry my XDS pretty much every single day, I'd totally sell it to you just so you could have one, too.
    Lish and Brad426 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    If I didn't carry my XDS pretty much every single day, I'd totally sell it to you just so you could have one, too.
    Oh, that's cruel! One day I will have one...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You wont be sorry shield is a great gun, I have fed mine all kinds of crap ammo not one hiccup really nice shooter

I was real torn between an XDs and a Shield. Both were avail, both at reasonable prices. I was really leaning towards the XDs since I had an XDsc already, but decided to go for the Shield in 9. I love it. One of these days I'd still like to add an XDs, but I have no regrets.

For IWB I use a Little Foxx & love it. I also have a Remora, I haven't used it IWB yet, except around the house sometimes (it's main purpose for me is as a thigh holster so it does get used a lot anyway)

Congrats on your purchase!

The shield is a nice....but I love my XDs 45.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again- my N82 holster for my Shield is by far the most comfortable one I've used, even better than the Remora (which is a great holster). If you don't want to wear an undershirt, I would strongly recommend it.

SMITH & WESSON
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndpuckhead View Post
    I've said it here before and I'll say it again- my N82 holster for my Shield is by far the most comfortable one I've used, even better than the Remora (which is a great holster). If you don't want to wear an undershirt, I would strongly recommend it.

SMITH & WESSON
    That looks very interesting. Reading up on it now....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MidWorld Modular holster - MidWorld Holster

Small guns really shine in Kydex. The stiffness of the Kydex allows a ride height that makes a small gun like that concealable OWB under a T shirt. I often carry my PF9 with a TLR3 OWB under a T shirt with no problems.

I'm planning to go for the N82 Pro Holster when I upgrade my EDC. It looks like a clear winner.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidWorld View Post
    MidWorld Modular holster - MidWorld Holster

Small guns really shine in Kydex. The stiffness of the Kydex allows a ride height that makes a small gun like that concealable OWB under a T shirt. I often carry my PF9 with a TLR3 OWB under a T shirt with no problems.
    The Zombie color scheme with the blood splatter and the biohazard sign is something else!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've had the opportunity to take an XDS .45 and XDS 9mm for a spin in the last week. The .45 was surprisingly easy to shoot; accurate, and low recoil considering the size and caliber. You will like it! My husband just got the 9mm. At 250 rounds in (including cheap ammo and reloads), it has been flawless and is also a good shooter. It doesn't seem much smaller (if any) than the .45, though.

I think the ergonomics of the Shield are better, although the XDS gets the nod on shootability (mainly because it has a better trigger than my Shield, which scales at 8+ lbs... after nearly 1,000 rounds. ) The trigger on my husband's brand-new XDS scales at 6.5 lbs.

These are the holsters I use with my Shield:

Clipless - the Sticky holster: Smith and Wesson ? Shield (9mm/40) | Sticky Holsters | Redefining Concealment Better than the Remora, which I also have. EXTREMELY comfortable.

Hybrid - natural color horsehide from Handmade Hybrid IWB Holsters | Ozarks Holster Company. I added higher quality clips from Comp-Tac: Mounting Options -Backorders aren't accepted at Ozarks, so try to order early on a Monday morning.

OWB - I'm using the Phaetos model from UBG: UBG Holsters I needed a lower-ride model with a butt-forward cant due to my body shape. Like you, I have a Galco Concealable and was disappointed they aren't offered for the Shield. The Phaetos is very comparable, and I am very satisfied with the quality! Had to wait about 10 weeks for it, though.

Hope that helps.
    Aceoky and PEF like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

A few comments on the N82 holster... I have one for my j-frame. It is exceedingly comfortable but I haven't purchased one for my EDC (Shield) for the following reasons:

-The backing forms a large paddle that extends from above the butt of the gun, down below the muzzle. This makes it less concealable.

-The paddle behind the grip can interfere with a smooth draw. It's easy to drive your thumb between your skin and the 'paddle', rather than between the paddle and the gun. I ended up cutting mine off at the beltline because of this.

-On the traditional model, the cant is not adjustable, and mine came with a vertical/neutral cant, which doesn't work for my body shape, so I had to modify it. I'm not sure if you can request a cant. The pro model has an adjustable cant, but looks a bit more bulky.

I wish N82 would offer more options. The backing they use IS extremely comfortable.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I look at the Shield before I got my XDs and I still might get one one day. Congrats!
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27
    Springfield XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    The Zombie color scheme with the blood splatter and the biohazard sign is something else!
    Thanks.
    I am not really in to that whole thing, but I have a group of friends who are, so I thought it would be fun to make some themed holsters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links