"You don't want to make a habit out of it"

This is a discussion on "You don't want to make a habit out of it" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently in the market for a Sig P290RS, and was going through a town I don't live in, and saw a gun store ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By chief8991
  • 1 Post By multistage
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By GH
  • 1 Post By wsquared

Thread: "You don't want to make a habit out of it"

I am currently in the market for a Sig P290RS, and was going through a town I don't live in, and saw a gun store that's always closed every time I'm in that town, open. I pulled in just kinda browsing, and the "inn keeper" asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for. I told him, he said, "Yeah, I've got one." I was stoked. So he showed it to me, but it was used. I don't like used guns or used vehicles. The price was too high, even if I did want to buy it, but I haven't seen a lot of these in person. Well, the trigger was zip tied back, and I asked him if I could dry fire it, to which he replied "Yes, but you wouldn't want to make a habit out of it." Obviously it's not good for rim fires, and some Rossi's, but do Sigs not like to be dry fired, or was this guy talking through his cheeks?
    Snub44 likes this.
    Something witty

...it wasn't thunder...
    ...doesn't hurt to dry-fire most modern guns...even some rimfires...he was blowin' smoke...

As is usually the case with gun salesmen, they do not know of what they speak.

Some do. But most do not. They buy from distributors and sell to consumers. It is their living.

Yes, you may safely dry fire a SIG. Or a Glock. Or an M&P. Or an XD. Or a..............
    pittypat21 likes this.

Considering how many guns require the trigger to be pressed for detailed disassembly (and some even for field stripping), I doubt it would be bad.

Senior Moderator
    Ruh roh...

You mean to tell me that the eleventy gazillion times I have fired my various Sigs that it is bad for them?

TELL ME IT AINT SO!

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I had to ask. I've never owned a Sig, and my knowledge of them is limited. Thank you, all!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Ruh roh...

You mean to tell me that the eleventy gazillion times I have fired my various Sigs that it is bad for them?

TELL ME IT AINT SO!

Evidently it is okay to an extent, you just don't want to make a habit of it.
    Something witty

I bought a Sig P290RS for Christmas and have not had a single problem with it. No jams, FTEs, or FTFs. I have "practiced" (dry fired) it numerous times and nothing happened. Still functions flawlessly and is very accurate. I've also done the same with my 1911 and it still functions flawlessly as well. As another poster stated, most modern guns have no problem being dry fired. Would love to see a review once you get yours because I love mine.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta

VIP Member
    One of three things going on here.

1.) The guy just simply didn't know what he was talking about. Put any bozo off the street behind a retail counter and he'll quickly assume the attitude of an "expert".

2.) Older wisdom of an older time. As HotGuns already stated, modern guns are safe to dry-fire. Some of the old hacks just haven't accepted this yet.

3.) Simple matter of the store doesn't want undue wear and tear on their merchandise. I know one fellow who won't even pull a gun out of the case unless he gets the impression you intend to buy immediately. You might put fingerprints on it. Dry-fire? You MUST be kidding!!

Go ahead and dry-fire. If you are still concerned, get some snap caps and then dry-fire.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I use snap caps, but after reading this and a lil thinking how does the spring tension of a snap cap primer compare to a real live primer?

I specifically asked a Sig armorer at the Sig Academy. Not a problem at all to dry-fire centerfire Sigs. In fact, it's a major part of the training for some of their courses.
    Snub44 likes this.

GH
    I'm surprised he didn't say "if you break it you've bought it".
    Snub44 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    If you would have pressed him on the dry fire question, he would have told you Sig designs the guns to self destruct after 100 dry fires. It's a safety feature built into the gun. They did it to save the kids!

Actually according to the P290 manual, the only mention on dry firing I saw, was to actually dry fire it as part of the function check after cleaning the gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you would have pressed him on the dry fire question, he would have told you Sig designs the guns to self destruct after 100 dry fires. It's a safety feature built into the gun. They did it to save the kids!

Actually according to the P290 manual, the only mention on dry firing I saw, was to actually dry fire it as part of the function check after cleaning the gun.
    My Sig SP2022 does it during the function check as well, as required in the manual, after every cleaning. Sig has no way of knowing if you're the type to clean them once a year or once an hour, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that it's OK to dry fire it.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Having seen the caliber of person that frequently wants to paw at the merchandise in many gun stores, I am not surprised that the place in question (and many other places) discourage dry firing. Most of those folks don't understand the difference between centerfire and rimfire - let alone the fact that you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire. Then add in the feact that many gun store clerks don't really understand the difference or the reason that centerfires are okay to dry fire and rimfires are not....

The easy solution is just to keep them all from being dry fired. As an educated consumer, this is unfortunate for me - but since I don't own the guns that are on the shelf at the LGS, I will respect the property rights of the owner of the LGS and let him decide if he's okay with people dry firing them.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Rimfire is the only one that you don't want to make a habit out of dry firing (from what I've been told). Now, for all I know, it might not be a big deal despite what I'm about to say.

The reason for this is that the firing pin on a rimfire firearm obviously strikes the cartridge on the "rim", so when the chamber is empty the firing pin could strike the side of the chamber and cause some wear. As opposed to a center fire firearm where the firing pin strikes thin air in the middle of the chamber.

But I don't have any definitive proof to support this. Just what I've been told.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Sponsored Links