Help me decide - FNH-FNS-9mm or Springfield XD- 9MM

This is a discussion on Help me decide - FNH-FNS-9mm or Springfield XD- 9MM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I really like my Nano 9MM but I really want a larger frame and of course other options . Let me first say I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help me decide - FNH-FNS-9mm or Springfield XD- 9MM

Well I really like my Nano 9MM but I really want a larger frame and of course other options . Let me first say I have had Zero issues, None and the Nano has been flawless for me. Just a real small form factor which never really grew on me .

I have it narrowed down to the FNH-FNS 9mm and the Springfield XD-9MM . I looked at the Glock 19 and the 17 but I hate the feel of those in my hand , so they are out. ( Sorry Glock ) great Pistol but I'm picky about my hand and feel, there lies the Nano. For me Not Fun to shoot ......Good small form factor

I miss my Stoeger Cougar so the size is not the issue but I'm going to go totally different here. Please no more options, I have it down to these two

The price point here is pretty much a wash, so that is not the issue. For me it is comfort , and the Springfield just fit my hand Perfect . The grip safety does not bother me.

So I respect everyone here and would appreciate your input .....

Try a CZ. 75 P 01

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Try a CZ. 75 P 01
    Try reading the guys post.
    hek1620 and StevePVB like this.

Distinguished Member
    Only you can decide what feels best for you. Never buy something because someone thinks you would like it. They do not walk in your shoes. The gun most suggest may very well be the best gun; for them but not for you. :) Usually after a few guns most of us know what we like and what works for us. For instance, I like all metal guns with hammers and a DA/SA of SA with manual safety. I have wasted a lot of money buying guns that do not fit this profile and just got rid of my last three yesterday for two all metal guns with hammers. After 40 years I still do not go with my gut so I can understand why we all ask others at times. However, go with your own feelings as sometimes the opinions of others can influence what your gut tells you. Good luck with your decision. I had both and prefer the FNH guns but that is because I prefer FNH guns and not that the XD is not a great gun.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Maybe I should ask in another way .......CHOOSE A or B . I'm just picking brains here... I'm a imput guy , lots of imput :) I will research this to death by next week .....I can reach lots of people here

A- Springfield

B- FNH

REW
    I'd go with A
    Cheesewiz likes this.

I have an XD40 from 2003 that has never had a single issue. I was able to buy 50 round boxes for 6.99 back then so it's had a lot of rounds through it. I'd go XD and never look back.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

I love my FNS.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

Definitely A. I owned a 4 inch XD in .357 Sig and totally loved it. Love the safety trigger, firing pin indicator and loaded chamber indicator. If only they made them in 10mm.

I have to go with B. I own the FNS 40 so I guess I have a bias.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have several FN firearms. They're a venerated company, but they're European, and while they may have adopted firearms before us...they're Europeans. They don't do civilian firearms except for us, and they have no "gun culture". I'm not familiar with that pistol, but if it feels good, and you're accurate with it get it.

I have several Springfield firearms, and several Springfield pistols. I am a fan, period. My Trophy Match .45 is dreamy, and THE BEST pistol I've ever bought out of the box. Not sayin' there aren't better, but not that I've bought (out of the box).

With Springer, S&W, Colt, Etc. it's a Ford/Chevy thing in my opinion. You can't just choose based on the picture. Go to a range where they have rentals, and run 100 rounds through both. See what feels better, and what groups better for you.

I've shot some FN rifles that were the worst ergonomic disasters ever and I thought were pieces of junk, even though the Legionnaires who carried them liked them. Most of them were Eastern Europeans who had probably never held a quality rifle in there hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I have several FN firearms. They're a venerated company, but they're European, and while they may have adopted firearms before us...they're Europeans. They don't do civilian firearms except for us, and they have no "gun culture". I'm not familiar with that pistol, but if it feels good, and you're accurate with it get it.

I have several Springfield firearms, and several Springfield pistols. I am a fan, period. My Trophy Match .45 is dreamy, and THE BEST pistol I've ever bought out of the box. Not sayin' there aren't better, but not that I've bought (out of the box).

With Springer, S&W, Colt, Etc. it's a Ford/Chevy thing in my opinion. You can't just choose based on the picture. Go to a range where they have rentals, and run 100 rounds through both. See what feels better, and what groups better for you.

I've shot some FN rifles that were the worst ergonomic disasters ever and I thought were pieces of junk, even though the Legionnaires who carried them liked them. Most of them were Eastern Europeans who had probably never held a quality rifle in there hands.
    You realize, of course, that the XD is made in Croatia...and your Springfield 1911 was made with Brazilian parts, and likely assembled there as well. Not that this means they are bad guns--but if you are knocking the FN for being "European", well...it might help to know the provenence of your firearms first.

OP--personally, is go with the FN; I've owned a couple of XDs, and they have always underwhelmed me.
    technomonster likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Go with the FNS brotha , you will not be disappointed

I've never held, let alone shot an XD. But, I've shot my brother's FNP40 a few times and love it. If the FNS is anything like the FNP then I'd go for it.

I vote for B.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I was not impressed with the fit and finish of my FNP-45, nor was I impressed with the problems I had with it. Their CS is pathetic as well. I won't buy anything from FN again. My XD was a good pistol, but I didn't care for the grip safety.

If I had to pick between the two you listed, I'd grab the XD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links