In the snubnose what do you prefer?

This is a discussion on In the snubnose what do you prefer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What cal. and what frame metal,alloy or space metal do you prefer? What do you prefer in carry mode and ammo? How many own more ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In the snubnose what do you prefer?

What cal. and what frame metal,alloy or space metal do you prefer? What do you prefer in carry mode and ammo? How many own more than one snubnose and how many carry the snubnose at least %75 of the time for ccw? I,m fine with the snub %90 of time for ccw and home defense. Allso I,ve known a few to carry two snubnoses. Some like 5 and some like 6shot. And with extra reloads how do you carry them and how many? It would be interesting to see the ratio of the different models snubnoses used to today for John Doe ccw.

I prefer the 642 for summer carry gun and the 640 for winter carry. Steve 48

Steve whats your ammo for summer 38spec. and winter? And how do you carry?

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605 99% of the time. I like 357 but carry 38+P for quciker recovery and follow-up shots. I like steel, and guns with some weight. 5 or 6 shots doesn't matter that much. I like an exposed hammer so I have the option to manually cock it. It is also the home defense pistol with a 4" Rossi .357. My wife is much more comfortable with a revolver than a pistol. She feels comfortable with not having a safety to turn off, slide to rack or jam to clear.

Assistant Administrator
    I no longer carry a snub but my first carry was M85, 38spl - all steel.

Later on and for some time I carried the 2 1/4" SP-101.... with 110 CorBon +P's.

Both quite heavy but that was no problem - I prefer some weight for better control. I had minimum one speedloader for either. I like the reduced weight of some of the lightweight snub options but not their shooting characteristics.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes many do not like the auto for close encounters . There is allways the chance the saftey may not get off or put back on in a suffle. Or the mag release could get pushed and drop the mag rendering you a no shot or a single shot and your slide could be pushed out of battery with no shot. Allso the wheelgun is simple to load and unload and very reliable.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I bought a steel Taurus 85 back in 1989. Good, solid gun. I got rid of it, and maybe I shouldn't have.

I had a Taurus 85 made of some alloy. It hurt to shoot it so I got rid of it. I also had a Smith 296. It hurt, too, so out it went.

I just can't leave the snubbies alone, though. I just put some money down on a Taurus 415 .41.

I know....it'll probably hurt to shoot it, too.

But right now, I'd have to say it's my "favorite" snubby.

I recently bought a Taurus 650 .357Mag, stainless steel, with the concealed hammer. I don't carry it much, perferring to stick with my Glocks, but it does have its advantages. I like it's simplicity and reliability. I have a good feeling that it will work every time. I like it's looks and I can pocket carry it, which I find the Glock to big for. I like the history associated with the snubby. I have an OWB/IWB DeSantis holster and a Nemisis pocket holster. I use Speer Gold Dot + P, and carry an extra speed loader. I don't feel undergunned when I have it with me. I find the weight comforting.

House carry gun often a snubby

When I am home I like to be armed, and will often carry a snubby revolver on my belt around the house. I probably use a S&W model 66 the most, loaded with Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers that have a velocity of about 1100 fps from the gun. The gun is fairly heavy for a snubby (32 ounces) but very easy to shoot well in double action because of the weight and a good trigger. I also carry a speed strip in my pocket with 6 more rounds of ammo.

I carry a 642 about 80% of the time. It's just too easy to stick it in my front pocket. For pocket carry they can't be beat. The aluminum framed revolvers are best suited for this mode of carry. I think the steel framed revolvers are a little heavy for the pocket but are still very easy to conceal inside the waist band or outside the waist band holster. I'm considering an SP 101 for just this purpose.

As far as ammo is concened I carry 125 gr remmington golden sabres +p. This ammo just shoots good out of my gun. Recoil out of these little guns is snappy no matter what ammo you use. I can't tell much difference between +P and standard pressure ammo as far as felt recoil is concerned. They are difficult to shoot well but are capable of impressive accuracy.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Ron
    I carry a S & W .38 Sp Model 642 in a Mika pocket holster. This is my only carry gun and I carry it almost all of the time when I am out. I use Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P ammo. Very comfortable to carry all day. It has a bit of a recoil, but I also have Crimson Trace Laser Grips, which I find helps my accuracy quite a lot. I feel it is the perfect gun for the kind of self defense situation I might find myself in. And, most importantly, because of its small size and light weight, I carry it.

Ron

I carry a S&W 37-2 .38 Special loaded with Federal 110 gr. JHP Hydra-Shock's[standard pressure].Extra ammo is two Bianchi speed loaders with four rounds in each, in front pocket,with the two center holes empty.Makes it easier to load quickly.

I mostly carry a 642 in a pocket holster with Speer Gold Dot +p ammo. On occasion, however, I will switch with my wife and carry her model 60 in a pocket holster. We both use the .38 special +p, even though the model 60 is a .357.

Interestingly, we both just purchased the tiny Kel Tec P3AT as an alternative for pocket carry. On the first range session, I was underwhelmed with them. The trigger pull is long and light, and it even is difficult to finally pull it far enough to fire. The grip is less friendly to my hand than the j-frame also.

At this point we both think we'll stick with the revolvers and just accept 5 shots as a limitation. The overall reliability and effectiveness of the snubby seems to work for us.

When I'm in a revolver mood, I carry my S&W 66 in a Fist IWB holster.
    That's probably one of the best revolver's I've ever shot. The ammo is Magtech 357 JHP.

I prefer for shooting a full Steel framed Snubby. They heavy but they do shoot a lot better. So I just live with the weight. Currently carry a Taurus M85 but always carry OWB. Never pocket carry anyway.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links