New EDC approach - auto vs. revolvers (plural)

This is a discussion on New EDC approach - auto vs. revolvers (plural) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be making a purchase and a change to my typical carry selection, budget permitting, and I'd like to hear any input you fine, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New EDC approach - auto vs. revolvers (plural)

I may be making a purchase and a change to my typical carry selection, budget permitting, and I'd like to hear any input you fine, upstanding folks may have.

My current EDC is a Ruger LCR, chambered for .357 Magnum but loaded with .38 +P defense rounds, usually IWB, with one or two speed strips for reload. I'm perfectly happy with the weapon and how well it carries, but I'm not convinced that five shots of .38 before a reload is really enough, and though .357 would likely be more effective, IMO you lose more than you gain in such a weapon due to the short barrel length and low weight.

So, I'd like to add capacity, without much extra weight or bulk. There are two approaches I'm thinking of:

1. Buy a sub-compact double-stack auto that holds nine or ten rounds in the magazine, and carry an extended magazine of 13 or more for a reload, both IWB. I'd lean towards a Ruger SR9C for this approach, with a G26 in second place - either way, 10+1 with 17 rounds for reload, 28 total. The LCR would become an alternate as pocket-carry for times when IWB is impractical. Advantages: minimal reloading, more muzzle energy, and possibly better shootability for me than DA snubs.

2. Buy a second snub .38 or .357 and carry both that and the LCR, going for the ol' New York reload, and continue to carry speed strips and/or speed loaders. Speed strips are easy to carry, so I could go up to three, for 5+5+15=25 total rounds. I could probably carry both IWB, or else one IWB and one pocket. I'd lean towards a S&W J-frame for this, probably a 638 - I love the LCR but would like to try a Smith, and the operation is similar and simple enough that I'm not too concerned about "manual of arms" issues. Advantages: ultimate reliability (odds of two revolvers failing in the same incident: approaching zero), both hands can access a weapon, and a spare weapon to hand to a friend in appropriate scenarios.

So: thoughts? Concerns? Between these two options, which would you choose? Thanks in advance, everybody.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    If I were truly concerned about having only five shots before reload, then I would go with a single semi-auto.

If I am in a shootout, and I run my revolver dry, it'll take about 1.5 - 2 seconds to grab my other revolver. I'd rather spend that 1.5 - 2 seconds shooting rounds 6, 7 & 8, while still having rounds 9, 10 and 11 (or more) ready to go.

Yes, a semi may jam, but if it's one I trust, it's unlikely.

For the record, I carry a single j-frame and one speed strip most of the time.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

While it probably hoo-doodles some folks who go for standardization among their self-defense arms I'm known to carry any of several combinations of handguns when I work a piddling little security gig that I occasional do. I may carry a couple of revolvers, the same brand, or of different brands, or I may go for a 1911 and a revolver. That's been the most often chosen combination of late.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm looking at a S&W 36 to lighten the load in the summer. I like the 15 round capacity of a full size semi but the chances of actually having to draw & fire are pretty slim. 10 rounds of 38 should be plenty. I like to have options in my EDC.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Personally I carry a Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9mm and a Kahr P380. My preferred carry setup is to carry the Bersa IWB and the Kahr in the pocket, I employ this setup about 80% of the time. My thinking is as follows:

1. There are a lot of bad things that can happen on a reload under stress (drop gun, drop magazine, loss of target, exposure to fire, etc.).
    2. Rather than carry an extra mag for the Bersa, my Kahr becomes my (New York) reload.
    3. A lot of bad things can happen to my primary carry (feeding failure, stolen by adversary, gun becomes damaged/inoperable during fight).
    4. That backup gun (BUG) can fire independently if my primary becomes unusable, whereas all I can do with an extra mag is throw it at someone.
    5. Having two different-sized guns allows me more carry options. For instance if I find myself in a tucked-in dress shirt with no cover garment, I usually go to the Kahr and carry a backup mag. This option wouldn't be available to me if I only had a double-stack auto, I'd have to use a tuckable holster, which would slow down my draw and create more opportunities for things to go badly.

If I were you I'd buy the G26 and use the LCR in a primary/BUG setup, knowing you can fall back to the LCR when the occasion dictates. As to the SR9C I abhor an external safety that I HAVE to use, although I'm good with an external safety/decocker on a DA/SA like by Bersa. BTW if you haven't already done so it would make sense to go to your LGS and handle a bunch of different compact semi-autos, you may land on something that you like better than a Glock or Ruger.

Good luck to you in your decision-making process.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebersa View Post
    BTW if you haven't already done so it would make sense to go to your LGS and handle a bunch of different compact semi-autos, you may land on something that you like better than a Glock or Ruger.
    Or even find a place where you can rent and shoot several different guns to find the one you want.
    buckeyebersa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    While it probably hoo-doodles some folks who go for standardization among their self-defense arms I'm known to carry any of several combinations of handguns when I work a piddling little security gig that I occasional do. I may carry a couple of revolvers, the same brand, or of different brands, or I may go for a 1911 and a revolver. That's been the most often chosen combination of late.
    OK...I'm a 60 year old guy who's been around the block more than once. Add to that I'm half Texan and as some of you may know those Southerners can be perty dog gone El Strangeola!! Which brings me to my question What in the heeby jeebe's what in Sam Hill is a 'hoo-doodles'??? Never in all my born days have I ever heard of HOO-DOODLES

You made that word up didn't you BMC Gilvray?? What is the BMC definition please?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The G26 gets my vote. Not too much I can say about the G26 that hasn't already been said many times over. My gen 4 26 is my favorite carry gun. It's a perfect example of size and firepower for defensive carry, IMO anyway.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I'm going to go the other way and say I think you're fine as is. Unless your going into high risk areas, I don't think you need the additional fire power.

Remember your replacing your entire carry system. That means new holsters, mag pouches, spare mags, night sights, Carry ammo, and retaining yourself.

Now if you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, that's another story:)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'd put the G26 ahead of the Ruger all day. The silly number of safeties on the Ruger could get you hurt someday. My G26 has been a champ since day one. It's currently sitting at north of 1k rounds.

I'm thinking of a BUG route myself. The LCP fits that role like a glove.

About the LCR .357, I used to own one but sold it because I really hated how it shot the .357 load. It can barely handle that round. What's worse is the 1/4 pound they added to the .357 version is a big deal. I handled the .38 version at my LGS and it felt like an air weight compared to the .357. IMO if you want a pocket carry BUG, trade the .357 for a .38.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    OK...I'm a 60 year old guy who's been around the block more than once. Add to that I'm half Texan and as some of you may know those Southerners can be perty dog gone El Strangeola!! Which brings me to my question What in the heeby jeebe's what in Sam Hill is a 'hoo-doodles'??? Never in all my born days have I ever heard of HOO-DOODLES

You made that word up didn't you BMC Gilvray?? What is the BMC definition please?

Hoo-doodle: verb
    Cause to feel anxious or uneasy;
    trouble, perturb, dismay, disturb, unsettle, disconcert, worry, bother, fluster, throw, ruffle

Nope. Not original to me. Don't know it's origin though.

"...what in Sam Hill..."

" Never in all my born days..."

Two phrases I heard when I was a kid, that my mother still uses.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks to everybody for your responses so far, this is just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Keep it coming!

I've considered the auto + snubby approach, and it would be a good option, except I'm not crazy about the extra weight/bulk. I figure it would add about 30 ounces to what I currently carry, which is certainly doable, just more than I like.

I'm leaning towards the SR9C because I really like the trigger, and also the "built-in" system of the grip extension with the larger magazine, which feels very solid in my hands. I can take or leave the manual safety, but I kind of prefer it for this gun, due to the extremely short travel of the trigger. The Glock is a great choice too, but I don't see a lot of benefit for the extra $100-$150.

On badwolf's concern: that's a good point, but actually I'm pretty well set up to get going with an auto. I have a couple of larger pistols that I've occasionally carried, so I have a compact-sized Remora holster that I like, and enough 9mm ammo to start testing. That's my big concern on cost - I'll probably have to find and burn through at least $100 of the good stuff to feel comfortable with an auto, and much less with a new snubby.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I'd put the G26 ahead of the Ruger all day. The silly number of safeties on the Ruger could get you hurt someday. My G26 has been a champ since day one. It's currently sitting at north of 1k rounds.

I'm thinking of a BUG route myself. The LCP fits that role like a glove.

About the LCR .357, I used to own one but sold it because I really hated how it shot the .357 load. It can barely handle that round. What's worse is the 1/4 pound they added to the .357 version is a big deal. I handled the .38 version at my LGS and it felt like an air weight compared to the .357. IMO if you want a pocket carry BUG, trade the .357 for a .38.
    The .357 is noticeably heavier and a little much for pocket carry, but actually I see it as mostly a benefit for the reduced recoil with .38's. Agreed that .357 is a lot for this size of gun, but I do like having the option.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    +1 on the G26 I have had mine for a few weeks now. I have only about 200+ rounds through it so far but it is surprisingly accurate for a small pistol. It is nice because you can load any 9mm magazine from Glock.

I also carry a .357 with plus ps an a speed strip. On occasion I will carry a CZ 75 p01 or a shield not because of anything other than I like different setups depending on what I am wearing. I never feel undergunned with a revolver. As long as you practice with everything your going to carry. I practice at the range by only reloading my revolver from speed trips its amazing how fast you get.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links