LC9 Problems

This is a discussion on LC9 Problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wanting to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me. Purchased a NIB Ruger LC9 a few months ago and thoroughly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: LC9 Problems

LC9 Problems

Was wanting to see if anyone else is having the same problem as me. Purchased a NIB Ruger LC9 a few months ago and thoroughly cleaned it when I got it home. Took it to the range the first time and the gun performed perfectly. Only fired around 25 rounds through it at that time. About a week ago my wife and I decided to hit the range again and after the 3rd or 4th shot my wife said it felt like the mag was trying to drop. So I slammed the mag home to make sure it was seated properly and fired it. After the 1st round it tried to slide out again. So I dropped the mag and emptied the chamber and reinserted the mag and made sure it was seated properly, also made sure my thumbs/fingers were away from the mag release and I racked the slide, the mag still came lose and started to slide out after just racking the slide. So I will be sending it into Ruger this week. I know they will take good care of me, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks!!
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Mine never did THAT. have you tried another mag...one may be out of tolerance a wee bit or are all your mags coming out?......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

ATM I only have the one mag that came with it. It is quite possible that it is the mag though.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

No I have three magazines and hove no trouble with any of them.

I borrowed a friends LC9 to carry for a day because I was considering purchasing one and wanted to get a feel for one first. It was nearly new and had a problem with the mag NOT falling out when the release was pressed. Had to physically "pull" it out. This problem coupled with the overall sloppy feel of the whole gun in general caused me not to buy one. It was really dissapointing to me because i was really hyped up over the gun and thought for sure I was going to love it and buy one.
    BadgerJ and JulesWinnfield like this.

Definitely try another mag before sending it in. Everyone should have a min of two mags for any auto they own anyway just in case one gets damaged. And if it is the mag, it's a lot less trouble to send back to Ruger than the whole gun. That's the way I see it anyway.
    God & Guns!

Have three magazines for mine and never a problem.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Not had any issues or problems with mine.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My wife has not had any problems with her LC9. It does sound like the mag could be the culprit though. Which brings me to my main complaint on the LC9. Why in the world did Ruger only supply 1 magazine with the LC9's?
    ClutchSR9C likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    My wife has not had any problems with her LC9. It does sound like the mag could be the culprit though. Which brings me to my main complaint on the LC9. Why in the world did Ruger only supply 1 magazine with the LC9's?
    Because it's cheaper, I suppose. Seems to be a common way to save costs on budget guns. Better than cheaping out elsewhere, I guess.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I have an LC9 with two mags, never had a problem with it.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Johan2424, everyone has an opinion and you have yours. I own a LCP, LC9, LCR, several Ruger revolvers and rifles and I am quite satisfied with their workmanship, accuracy and reliability. They meet the criteria for which they were designed, low cost, reliable, and accurate. I have several high end handguns that I have found to be far more unreliable than any of my Rugers. In fact I have experienced only one problem with the LC9, a stove pipe, and that was found to be an ammo problem and not the gun.

This would be a very boring world if all products met the expectations of all users/ buyers.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have an LC9. The mags drop free when the mag release is pressed. It doesn't drop mags while shooting. I've had only one jam, and that was the first round fired when it was new. Nothing since and I've ran many different brands of ammo through it in the last year! I'm happy....
    Tony

4 mags, nothing like that with ours. No issues at all so far. Sounds like it could be mag related. If you don't require it though, I'd say send it in. Let them determine if there's an issue, and maybe get a new replacement mag out of it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, sorry I haven't posted in quite a while. I finally got around to sending in my LC9 this last week to Ruger. So I will let you all know what the problem was as soon as I hear from them!
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links