XS big dot 24/7 express for SD and range

This is a discussion on XS big dot 24/7 express for SD and range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone here use the XS sight systems 24/7 big dot on their carry guns? XS Sight Systems - Sights i was thinking of putting a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: XS big dot 24/7 express for SD and range

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

XS big dot 24/7 express for SD and range

anyone here use the XS sight systems 24/7 big dot on their carry guns?

XS Sight Systems - Sights

i was thinking of putting a set these on my carry piece and would like to hear from folks that have tried it first hand. mostly interested in how quick the front sight picks up as compared to the three dot system. how it does in low light and less importantly, how well it does on the range. for more precise work, like hitting a pop can at 10 yards or more

my main problem with the three dot (especially the tritium sights) is that since the dots are the same size the front dot looks smaller, dimmer and takes a second to distinguish from the rear dots. i am hoping that the large front dot will be easier to pick up but worried that it will cover too much of the sight picture for more precise work, at longer distances. currently only the big dot is available for my carry gun, the standard dot is not offered.

also interested in other non three dot sights, such as the Glock notch and square or the Styer triangle. the sights must fit a Hk P2000
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

I have used them for a few years. My carry piece, a Glock 26, wears a set. I love them. Also go for the Big Dot. Never worry about the Standard Dot.

I have done a lot of shooting with Big Dots, steel and paper, and they are extremely fast. Groups may no longer be target-competition tight, unless you take your time, but that is not what you should look to obtain with this system. Ideal range for them is 10 yards and in. No problem obtaining combat accuracy at these ranges. You will be able to drill pop cans.

I think what a lot of people get mixed up in their heads with these sights is that they expect clover-leaf groups at 25 yards like you could possibly get out of a notch and post system. That is likely not the case. Run them while moving. Run them while on the ground. Run them while behind cover and shooting with your weak hand. Amazing.

What I am trying to say is that XS Big Dot 24/7s are the sights to use when you have to make a hit, and you don't have time to aim.
    Christopher67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf26 View Post
    go for the Big Dot. Never worry about the Standard Dot.

What I am trying to say is that XS Big Dot 24/7s are the sights to use when you have to make a hit, and you don't have time to aim.
    thanks for sharing, exactly my reasons for wanting the XS sights. kinda like a shotgun bead. for fast instinctive shooting when micro seconds count. does the front tritium dot appear brighter then the rear vertical bar?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    does the front tritium dot appear brighter then the rear vertical bar?
    It doesn't on mine. I just checked and both appear to be the same brightness
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I had some on a Glock 23 for a while and really liked them. Found them to be very accurate and fast. My problem with them was this. My department issued duty weapon at the time used a "traditional" 3 dot night sight. After getting used to the XS sights, it took me too long to get a sight picture with the 3 dot sights on my duty weapon. So for safety sake, I decided I better go back to a 3 dot type sight similar to my duty weapon. Had this not been the case, the XS sights would still be there. On a side note, go to youtube and search "james yeager, xs sights". Whether people like him or not, he does some pretty good shooting with the xs sights.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I was thinking of going with this rear sight Glock Rear Sight - 10-8 Performance Store with the XS Standard Dot for the front sight. I guess my question is why would you get the Big dot over the Standard dot or Standard dot over the Big dot? Is there an advantage of one over the other? Thanks in advance.

I use the big dot on the front of my snubs works great for fast acquisition an hitting center mass but they do hinder target shooting like I am trying to say for close combat they are great.

I use the 24/7 xs big dot on my sr40c and love them

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I installed my XS sights on my Shield this past weekend. The range trip was a blast. I have the .40 shield which has some recoil to it and these sights make double taps and follow ups easy. As said, not super tight groups, but everything was inside the 8 ring or better. What I really like is how they lend themselves to point shooting. A lot of times when shooting fast I do point shooting. And with these sights I can pick up the "Golf ball" in my peripheral vision helping me stay on target.

Best $90 I ever spent and I am ordering them for my M&P 45 as well.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have them on my 19 and its only a matter of time before they are on my 26.
    smolck likes this.

I put the XS BIG DOT on the front of my G26 Glock 9mm ONLY! I like it, it's easy to see, easy to acquire and is all around a good deal. I did need to replace the rear stock Glock notch sight with a taller (6.9) sight to compensate for the XS height but I really like the BIG DOT sight.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

The front sight tritium vial is bright enough to ensure your eye picks it up over the rear sight.

So is the XS Big Dot better for close combat shooting & the XS Standard Dot better for shooting at longer ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
    So is the XS Big Dot better for close combat shooting & the XS Standard Dot better for shooting at longer ranges?
    the big dot is easier to pick up but might cover up too much of the target area for precise shooting at longer ranges as the target appears smaller to the eye. my prime interest in the big dot is for SD when a quick COM hit is needed. not really planning on nailing the BG in the eye from 25 yards when he has a hostage.

also the big tritium front should appear brighter or at least as bright as the rear as confirmed by a couple of members here that uses these, the main problem with three dot tritium is that the front dot usually appears smaller and dimmer.

the human eye can only focus on one plane (distance) at a time. under extreme stress the body is hard wired to focus on the threat, tunnel vision may occur. but if at all possible focusing on the front sight usually gives the best possible accuracy.
    Christopher67 likes this.

Thanks for the review, I will consider this for my handgun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links