MAC XDs 9mm Review

This is a discussion on MAC XDs 9mm Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I liked the .45 ACP XDs when it released, the only negative thing I really felt strongly about was the caliber -- I wanted it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MilitaryArms

Thread: MAC XDs 9mm Review

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

MAC XDs 9mm Review

I liked the .45 ACP XDs when it released, the only negative thing I really felt strongly about was the caliber -- I wanted it in 9mm. Springfield has remedied that with their latest offering. Here's a full review of the XDs 9 along with a blog entry that gives more info and has a few more pics.

Blog: XDs 9mm Review ? Raising the bar | The Bang Switch

zonker1986 likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

While I don't personally think that the XD-S in .45 is a negative (it's a great shooter for me), I can see the allure of the 9mm for those who don't shoot it well or just prefer the 9mm round as many do.

Watching now, thanks for the review!

I don't see the 9mm as an "upgrade" over the .45 as mentioned in your vid, but it was well done.

Looking at the specs on Springfields website, I was appalled to discover:

1. The 9mm weighs 1.5 oz more than the 45 (23 vs 21.5 with unloaded mag).
    2. The 9mm barrel is only 3.3" out of a gun 6.3" long

It's like they just copied the 45 design with a thicker barrel to change the bore size. Cheap cheap cheap.

The XDS 9 is no match for a Kahr P9 that came out a dozen years ago. They have the same 7+1 capacity and the same height, but the P9 is 0.3" shorter with a barrel that is 0.256" longer, and the P9 weighs 6 ounces less with an unloaded mag.

Hell, the XDS 9 is so heavy that it almost weighs as much as an all steel Kahr K9 (which is the same height and length as a P9). The K9 came out in 1996.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I heard an interview that Rob Leatham gave about the XDs. According to him the XDs originally was meant to be a 9mm but they decided while engineering it they could make it a .45 ACP by making it a few thousands of an inch wider. So they came out with it in .45 first. So yes and no the 9mm is a copy of the .45.

Nice review Mac. Can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. I'm not going to get rid of my PM9 because, notwithstanding your point of view, I don't consider a gun of the size and weight of the XDs a pocket gun. On the other hand, I carry my PM9 IWB 80% of the time, so something that is a bit heavier and carries at least 1 more round than the PM9 or three more with the extended mag is a good tradeoff. I don't have external safeties on any of my handguns, and as a lefty would not even consider a Shield, but I could live with a grip safety and frankly it is a good safety feature if you carry IWB where a trigger snag is more likely.

BTW, I saw a comment from Grant, the owner of GR Tactical that S&W is coming out with a new Shield with a SKU for LEO's that comes without the safety and a plug installed. That might work for me too. I have an M&P and love it. How would you compare the Shield trigger to the XDs ?

MAC, any chance of Chronograph test of this XDS 9mm or maybe a Shield 9mm in the future ?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks to your review of this pistol, I ended up putting the last one my gun shop had in stock on layaway! I've been sort of looking for a smaller 9mm to just drop into my pocket instead of suiting up around my usual carry gun which is the Glock 19. Its been an unusually hot summer and wearing button down concealment garments can make for a miserable day.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Why do you claim in the video that the XDS .45 is a 5 shot gun and has less capacity than a six shot revolver.Forget about the one in the pipe?

outstanding review as always.

Since I just picked up a 9mm Shield, do I have anything to gain by adding the XDs 9? I know another carry handgun is always a good thing, but my safe runneth over now.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

While it might fit in the pockets of "man pants" () it is going to feel like a brick. And if you can fit that thing in your pocket, then you can also probably fit a Glock 26...which is a much much better gun.

I have pocketed a G 26 while on duty, and in Dockers, but due to weight it is not something I would do daily. When in business attire, no way would that XDs fit in a pocket. Way too heavy.

Nice review, but not a pocket gun for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Links