Defensive Carry banner

XDs45 vs XDs9 - my comparison

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  1MoreGoodGuy 
#1 ·
I got the XDs45 in January of this year, then last week, added the XDs9 to my collection.

I LOVE my XDs45. It has been a pleasure to shoot. I've shot 840 rounds through the XDs and haven't had a single issue. I have modded it a bit with PRP grips (more on that later), Trijicon HD night sights, PRP Trigger kit, and Molon Labe rear plate for good measure.

On the XDs9, I've put on some Talon grips and to be honest, I think that's the only thing I'm going to modify on this gun.

I just got back from the range. I shot 125 rounds through the XDs9 and not a single issue. I did clean and lube it before I shot it. The recurring theme I see from people who have issues with the XDs is either they don't clean and lube the gun before first use and/or they don't rack and hold it with authority. I can't emphasize enough how much I like the trigger on the XDs9. My completely unscientific guess is that the trigger feels like a 5-5.5 lb pull. It definitely feels lighter than my XDs45 did before I did the trigger job on it.

Accurace with the factory sights on the 9mm is spot on. I shot from 40 ft today and consistently hit center mass/bullseye and head shots were extremely closely grouped. I would have to say that my XDS9 is a hair more accurate than my XDs45, but I attribute that to the trijicon HD night sights that I have on my XDs45. It's not that the Trijicons are not accurate -- they are just quite a bit bigger than the factory sights. They are not meant for the range. They are meant for a real life threat where you need to quickly acquire your target.

Surprisingly, the recoil of the XDs45 does not feel that much more significant than the XDs9.

I got both guns for slightly different purposes. Both will be for CC, although the 9mm will be my CC for during the day and the .45 will be my CC for evening/dark (hence the night sights).

It goes without saying that it's nice that my holsters for the XDs45 fit perfectly with the XDs9. The only thing that didn't fit were my mag pouches, but that was to be expected since the mags do have slightly different dimensions between the two. Even though the XDs9 mags are slightly smaller, they still fit in my mag pouches. Just not as snug as the 45 mags. I usually just carry a spare mag in the pouch in my pocket, so I'm okay that it's not 100% snug fit like the 45 mag The difference is so negligible that for pocket mag carry, it's fine for me, but others may have a different opinion on that.

I have PRP rubber grips on my XDs45 and Talon grips on my XDS9. I will say that I like the Talon grips better. They were a lot easier to put on and I feel that they fit better than the PRP grips.

Anyways, both guns are an absolute pleasure to shoot. Springfield hit a homerun with both variants of this gun.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think Springfield completely struck out with the XDs9.

The XDs9 is essentially an XDs45 that shoots 9mm. I don't quite understand why someone would want to purchase a .45 gun for self defense that shoots 9mm.

I don't know why Springfield didn't give us a new single stack 9mm that was smaller in size, lighter in weight and more easily concealable than the XDs45. They instead gave us the same size gun, made it heavier and made it shoot smaller bullets.

#3 ·
I think Springfield completely struck out with the XDs9.

The XDs9 is essentially an XDs45 that shoots 9mm. I don't quite understand why someone would want to purchase a .45 gun for self defense that shoots 9mm.
Greater round count seems to be a viable criterion, caliber notwithstanding.

#4 ·
So can you post some pics of the one you have the trijicon HD night sights, I have the XDs .45 and might want to install one and did you install it yourself? I had two Talon grip on mines but everytime they come off so I went with the PRP grip this time so I will see if this will work better.

#6 ·
I felt the xds 9 the other day and Its a solid little gun with a great trigger. 1moregoodguy I really have to agree to disagree with you on SA striking out.
9mm is really going to shine in a pistol that size. I am no expert on ballistics but I would think 9mm would retain more power out of that small barrel than .45 acp would. Last I saw most loads are coming out of the XDS .45 at like 750fps...I would think that the 9mm would atleast chrono at over 1000fps with +p loads...like I said I'm not an expert on ballistics so I would guess the power output of the Xds 9 & 45 will be somewhere in the same neighborhood so it just comes down to what flavor do you like, Its not like one is going to be light years ahead of the other.

disclaimer: Im not a ballistics expert so someone chime in if you actually know about this stuff

#12 ·
I have no problems with how the gun shoots but I do have a problem with the weight of a single stack 9mm that is well above the weight of some other fine and more pocketable single stack 9mm's. I bet if you weight both guns, they weigh about the same. How many other 9mm's do you know of that weigh as much as a .45 of similar size? I prefer Sig's approach of starting off with the .380 P238 and making it just a little bit bigger for the 9mm P938 rather than what Springfield did. I do not think they did a good job. I think they took the cheaper route by using their .45 caliber frame to produce a 9mm gun. Even more disappointing after all their advertising about how they engineered their EMP around the 9mm cartridge. Maybe their learned how expensive that can be. :)

So no problems with the gun as I like Springfield guns. Just a problem with a single stack 9mm that is one of the heaviest on the market.

#13 ·
I kind of see it as " if it aint broke, don't fix it " regarding the actual design of the gun. It's already a really compact package that was made to handle big bore power, so obviously it would be a stable platform for a smaller round. I am not sure of the weight differences but I would imagine its measured in ounces and its not going to make a huge difference. These small guns need a little heft anyways, it makes them handle better. Military Arms Channel just did a review on the gun and said pocket carry is no problem .... I think if the 9 & 45 caliber XDS were released at the same time the people critiquing would sing a different tune..the delay in the 9mm release may have left them expecting more ?

#14 ·
For me, I don't consider it a pocket pistol. I plan on carrying it same way as I do my XDs45 which is extremely concealable with an IWB holster.

Again, Springfield has said from day 1 that the 9 was going to be he same form factor as the 45. If that's not what you are looking for, then it's probably not the gun for you, but that shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

From my perspective, I see the value in the gun and I love that I don't need to by any new holsters or anything like that due to the same form factor.

#17 ·
The XDs9 is essentially the same size as my Colt Defender, Sig 1911 Ultra Compact, Ruger SR9c, Taurus PT-111 Millennium PRO and Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact PRO and probably several other guns that I don't own.

The Ruger SR9c has a capacity of 10 + 1 with the option of 17 + 1, the Taurus PT-111 has a capacity of 12 + 1, the Bersa Thunder has a capacity of 13 + 1 and the XDs9 only has a capacity of 7 + 1 with the option of 9 + 1.

I thought one of the major points of making a single stack gun was to make the gun smaller/thinner than the double stack.

Springfield gave us a single stack 9mm that is basically the same size as many other double stack 9mm guns and several single stack 45 guns.

#19 ·
Gun............Slide width............Grip Width
XDs...............24mm...................25mm
Bersa............25mm....................32mm
SR9c.............25mm....................29mm
Colt...............23mm....................31mm
Sig................22mm....................31mm
Taurus...........26mm....................26mm

#20 ·
I have the .45 but I would like to see the .40 when they come out but the end of the year.

#21 ·
I saw that advertised in American Rifleman this week. Was interested in the .45 but have concerns that the hand grip looks short. Are the grips full size? I carry and S&W .40 daily and if it is similar length to that I may buy one.

#24 ·
It still amazes me that Springfield comes out with a new clean slate .45 small concealed carry gun and immediately people are crying for it in 9mm. Now that that's past and the reports are in it is at the top of my list. Now to go read my new American Rifleman :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.