XDs45 vs XDs9 - my comparison

This is a discussion on XDs45 vs XDs9 - my comparison within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the XDs45 in January of this year, then last week, added the XDs9 to my collection. I LOVE my XDs45. It has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: XDs45 vs XDs9 - my comparison

I got the XDs45 in January of this year, then last week, added the XDs9 to my collection.

I LOVE my XDs45. It has been a pleasure to shoot. I've shot 840 rounds through the XDs and haven't had a single issue. I have modded it a bit with PRP grips (more on that later), Trijicon HD night sights, PRP Trigger kit, and Molon Labe rear plate for good measure.

On the XDs9, I've put on some Talon grips and to be honest, I think that's the only thing I'm going to modify on this gun.

I just got back from the range. I shot 125 rounds through the XDs9 and not a single issue. I did clean and lube it before I shot it. The recurring theme I see from people who have issues with the XDs is either they don't clean and lube the gun before first use and/or they don't rack and hold it with authority. I can't emphasize enough how much I like the trigger on the XDs9. My completely unscientific guess is that the trigger feels like a 5-5.5 lb pull. It definitely feels lighter than my XDs45 did before I did the trigger job on it.

Accurace with the factory sights on the 9mm is spot on. I shot from 40 ft today and consistently hit center mass/bullseye and head shots were extremely closely grouped. I would have to say that my XDS9 is a hair more accurate than my XDs45, but I attribute that to the trijicon HD night sights that I have on my XDs45. It's not that the Trijicons are not accurate -- they are just quite a bit bigger than the factory sights. They are not meant for the range. They are meant for a real life threat where you need to quickly acquire your target.

Surprisingly, the recoil of the XDs45 does not feel that much more significant than the XDs9.

I got both guns for slightly different purposes. Both will be for CC, although the 9mm will be my CC for during the day and the .45 will be my CC for evening/dark (hence the night sights).

It goes without saying that it's nice that my holsters for the XDs45 fit perfectly with the XDs9. The only thing that didn't fit were my mag pouches, but that was to be expected since the mags do have slightly different dimensions between the two. Even though the XDs9 mags are slightly smaller, they still fit in my mag pouches. Just not as snug as the 45 mags. I usually just carry a spare mag in the pouch in my pocket, so I'm okay that it's not 100% snug fit like the 45 mag The difference is so negligible that for pocket mag carry, it's fine for me, but others may have a different opinion on that.

I have PRP rubber grips on my XDs45 and Talon grips on my XDS9. I will say that I like the Talon grips better. They were a lot easier to put on and I feel that they fit better than the PRP grips.

Anyways, both guns are an absolute pleasure to shoot. Springfield hit a homerun with both variants of this gun.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

VIP Member
    I think Springfield completely struck out with the XDs9.

The XDs9 is essentially an XDs45 that shoots 9mm. I don't quite understand why someone would want to purchase a .45 gun for self defense that shoots 9mm.

I don't know why Springfield didn't give us a new single stack 9mm that was smaller in size, lighter in weight and more easily concealable than the XDs45. They instead gave us the same size gun, made it heavier and made it shoot smaller bullets.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

The XDs9 is essentially an XDs45 that shoots 9mm. I don't quite understand why someone would want to purchase a .45 gun for self defense that shoots 9mm.
    Greater round count seems to be a viable criterion, caliber notwithstanding.
    lnferno likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    I got the XDs45 in January of this year, then last week, added the XDs9 to my collection.

I LOVE my XDs45. It has been a pleasure to shoot. I've shot 840 rounds through the XDs and haven't had a single issue. I have modded it a bit with PRP grips (more on that later), Trijicon HD night sights, PRP Trigger kit, and Molon Labe rear plate for good measure.

On the XDs9, I've put on some Talon grips and to be honest, I think that's the only thing I'm going to modify on this gun.

I just got back from the range. I shot 125 rounds through the XDs9 and not a single issue. I did clean and lube it before I shot it. The recurring theme I see from people who have issues with the XDs is either they don't clean and lube the gun before first use and/or they don't rack and hold it with authority. I can't emphasize enough how much I like the trigger on the XDs9. My completely unscientific guess is that the trigger feels like a 5-5.5 lb pull. It definitely feels lighter than my XDs45 did before I did the trigger job on it.

Accurace with the factory sights on the 9mm is spot on. I shot from 40 ft today and consistently hit center mass/bullseye and head shots were extremely closely grouped. I would have to say that my XDS9 is a hair more accurate than my XDs45, but I attribute that to the trijicon HD night sights that I have on my XDs45. It's not that the Trijicons are not accurate -- they are just quite a bit bigger than the factory sights. They are not meant for the range. They are meant for a real life threat where you need to quickly acquire your target.

Surprisingly, the recoil of the XDs45 does not feel that much more significant than the XDs9.

I got both guns for slightly different purposes. Both will be for CC, although the 9mm will be my CC for during the day and the .45 will be my CC for evening/dark (hence the night sights).

It goes without saying that it's nice that my holsters for the XDs45 fit perfectly with the XDs9. The only thing that didn't fit were my mag pouches, but that was to be expected since the mags do have slightly different dimensions between the two. Even though the XDs9 mags are slightly smaller, they still fit in my mag pouches. Just not as snug as the 45 mags. I usually just carry a spare mag in the pouch in my pocket, so I'm okay that it's not 100% snug fit like the 45 mag The difference is so negligible that for pocket mag carry, it's fine for me, but others may have a different opinion on that.

I have PRP rubber grips on my XDs45 and Talon grips on my XDS9. I will say that I like the Talon grips better. They were a lot easier to put on and I feel that they fit better than the PRP grips.

Anyways, both guns are an absolute pleasure to shoot. Springfield hit a homerun with both variants of this gun.

So can you post some pics of the one you have the trijicon HD night sights, I have the XDs .45 and might want to install one and did you install it yourself? I had two Talon grip on mines but everytime they come off so I went with the PRP grip this time so I will see if this will work better.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I don't know why Springfield didn't give us a new single stack 9mm that was smaller in size, lighter in weight and more easily concealable than the XDs45. They instead gave us the same size gun, made it heavier and made it shoot smaller bullets.
    And the Problem with that is???
    Tony

I felt the xds 9 the other day and Its a solid little gun with a great trigger. 1moregoodguy I really have to agree to disagree with you on SA striking out.
    9mm is really going to shine in a pistol that size. I am no expert on ballistics but I would think 9mm would retain more power out of that small barrel than .45 acp would. Last I saw most loads are coming out of the XDS .45 at like 750fps...I would think that the 9mm would atleast chrono at over 1000fps with +p loads...like I said I'm not an expert on ballistics so I would guess the power output of the Xds 9 & 45 will be somewhere in the same neighborhood so it just comes down to what flavor do you like, Its not like one is going to be light years ahead of the other.

disclaimer: Im not a ballistics expert so someone chime in if you actually know about this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    So can you post some pics of the one you have the trijicon HD night sights, I have the XDs .45 and might want to install one and did you install it yourself? I had two Talon grip on mines but everytime they come off so I went with the PRP grip this time so I will see if this will work better.

Sap03 likes this.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post

Nice !!! Where did you get the back plate at ??? God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    And the Problem with that is???
    No problem, just don't quite understand...that is all.

Thought we were going to get a new single stack 9mm designed from the ground up based on the styling of the XDs45. Instead we got an XDs45 that is modified to shoot 9mm. Thought we were going to get a slightly smaller package which would make it more suitable for pocket carry.

Since I regularly carry an XDs45 and often carry a Sig P938 as a bug, I was anticipating that the XDs9 could fill the role as the new bug. It would have been nice to have both carry guns function the same.

I'm not saying the XDs9 won't prove to be an excellent 9mm. For me, it just doesn't quite fit the role I was anticipating it to fill...single stack 9mm pocket gun.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Nice !!! Where did you get the back plate at ??? God Bless
    Ndzperformance.com
    NRA Member

No problem, just don't quite understand...that is all.

Thought we were going to get a new single stack 9mm designed from the ground up based on the styling of the XDs45. Instead we got an XDs45 that is modified to shoot 9mm. Thought we were going to get a slightly smaller package which would make it more suitable for pocket carry.

Since I regularly carry an XDs45 and often carry a Sig P938 as a bug, I was anticipating that the XDs9 could fill the role as the new bug. It would have been nice to have both carry guns function the same.

I'm not saying the XDs9 won't prove to be an excellent 9mm. For me, it just doesn't quite fit the role I was anticipating it to fill...single stack 9mm pocket gun.
    I can completely respect you wanting a smaller form factor, but Springfield has been consistent since they announced the XDs9 that it would have the same form factor as the XDS45. After both guns are fully loaded with ammo, the difference in weight is only .2 oz - not something that I doubt you could barely even tell. But you get two more rounds with the XDS9.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    I have no problems with how the gun shoots but I do have a problem with the weight of a single stack 9mm that is well above the weight of some other fine and more pocketable single stack 9mm's. I bet if you weight both guns, they weigh about the same. How many other 9mm's do you know of that weigh as much as a .45 of similar size? I prefer Sig's approach of starting off with the .380 P238 and making it just a little bit bigger for the 9mm P938 rather than what Springfield did. I do not think they did a good job. I think they took the cheaper route by using their .45 caliber frame to produce a 9mm gun. Even more disappointing after all their advertising about how they engineered their EMP around the 9mm cartridge. Maybe their learned how expensive that can be. :)

So no problems with the gun as I like Springfield guns. Just a problem with a single stack 9mm that is one of the heaviest on the market.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I have no problems with how the gun shoots but I do have a problem with the weight of a single stack 9mm that is well above the weight of some other fine and more pocketable single stack 9mm's. I bet if you weight both guns, they weigh about the same. How many other 9mm's do you know of that weigh as much as a .45 of similar size? I prefer Sig's approach of starting off with the .380 P238 and making it just a little bit bigger for the 9mm P938 rather than what Springfield did. I do not think they did a good job. I think they took the cheaper route by using their .45 caliber frame to produce a 9mm gun. Even more disappointing after all their advertising about how they engineered their EMP around the 9mm cartridge. Maybe their learned how expensive that can be. :)

So no problems with the gun as I like Springfield guns. Just a problem with a single stack 9mm that is one of the heaviest on the market.
    I kind of see it as " if it aint broke, don't fix it " regarding the actual design of the gun. It's already a really compact package that was made to handle big bore power, so obviously it would be a stable platform for a smaller round. I am not sure of the weight differences but I would imagine its measured in ounces and its not going to make a huge difference. These small guns need a little heft anyways, it makes them handle better. Military Arms Channel just did a review on the gun and said pocket carry is no problem .... I think if the 9 & 45 caliber XDS were released at the same time the people critiquing would sing a different tune..the delay in the 9mm release may have left them expecting more ?

For me, I don't consider it a pocket pistol. I plan on carrying it same way as I do my XDs45 which is extremely concealable with an IWB holster.

Again, Springfield has said from day 1 that the 9 was going to be he same form factor as the 45. If that's not what you are looking for, then it's probably not the gun for you, but that shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

From my perspective, I see the value in the gun and I love that I don't need to by any new holsters or anything like that due to the same form factor.
    NRA Member

Just don't quite understand the XDS 9...that is all.

I agree 100%. And I own and love an origingal XD 9mm service model. Accurate, soft shooting and reliable.

The XDS 9mm is HEAVIER (by 1.5 oz according to the company website) than the 45 because about the only difference in the 2 guns is a thicker barrel on the 9mm so as to reduce bore size while using the same frame & slide.

A 3.3" barrel on a small .45 is understandable. A 3.3" barrel on a 6.3" single stack 9mm is a headscratcher. Kahr got a 3.56" barrel out of a 6.0" length 9mm over a dozen years ago.

The XDS 45 was a home run. Finally, a worthy competitor to the Kahr PM45 for CCW holders wanting to pack a 45.

The XDS 9? Likely to be a fine gun, but I don't understand the point given the market in which it competes.

That said, for those who have the XDS 45 and want a 9mm on the same platform for tactical reasons, I can see the appeal.
    Last edited by CougarRed; June 19th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links