Cheap .22 Handguns

This is a discussion on Cheap .22 Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any recommendations for a cheap .22 handgun? I have intentions of introducing the lady I have started dating to firearms in the not incredibly distant ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cheap .22 Handguns

Cheap .22 Handguns

Any recommendations for a cheap .22 handgun? I have intentions of introducing the lady I have started dating to firearms in the not incredibly distant future. As a first time shooter (this has been verified) I don't want to start her with my G19. I don't want to scare her off a fun hobby because I started her off with something that has recoil, as comparatively light as the 9mm is in that department.

It doesn't have to be anything special. Just capable of putting some holes in paper at the range. Budget is important, as I am saving up to add to my personal collection. I prefer semi-automatics but I am not averse to a revolver for this purpose, either.

Thanks to all in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ruger.

Nice, super accurate and not expensive. I wouldn't say they are cheap ($4-500 range), but definitely fun shooters.
    msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and CLASS3NH like this.

Phoenix Arms HP 22 Range kit if its strictly for a practice weapon and price is biggest concern.
    Everything she needs to learn to shoot and care for the weapon in one nice looking box.

Phoenix Arms Official Website - Pistols - Firearms - Handguns - Manufacturer - Model HP22A Rangekit

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411551635
    zonker1986 and CLASS3NH like this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have Ruger Single Six in .22 LR/ .22 WRF that I bought from a friend years ago for $150. I used that to introduce many new shooters to handguns. Even though I have more powerful and modern handguns, it is my default handgun when woods loafing around my home. It was inexpensive but not cheap, IMHO.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Unfortunately "cheap" is a relative term. I would have said a Ruger as well, MK III, but that's because I think you're getting a very high quality pistol for a "reasonable" price.

Phoenix Arms?...

Holy cow, their "deluxe range kit" comes with two barrels and slides, and I'm looking at them online for $200. You have one? How does it shoot? I'm instantly skeptical of this..., but I want to believe.
    blitzburgh likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I've got several Ruger .22s, and for years I was a good dad and fed them regularly. Lately the poor things have been starving. It isn't that I've forgotten my responsibilities. I'm just honestly am having trouble finding enough food for them. I hear there's a blight, or a fungus or something on the .22 bushes. Apparently they're bearing no fruit...
    Stoveman likes this.

I realize cheap is subjective, so just toss out your ideas if YOU consider them cheap. I won't be offended.

I have enough .22 to at least develop a taste for the sport.

That Phoenix Arms looks like maybe its exactly what I am looking for. Sweet find.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I suggest looking into an Advantage Arms conversion for your Glock. I have one for my G30, and while it is lighter and the recoil is obviously less than the .45, the advantage is using the same frame and trigger. Very reliable for a conversion. I'll run 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through it and might have 1-2 misfeeds toward the end when the gunk builds up. They run @$250, a nice investment I think.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    ...Phoenix Arms?...

Holy cow, their "deluxe range kit" comes with two barrels and slides, and I'm looking at them online for $200. You have one? How does it shoot? I'm instantly skeptical of this..., but I want to believe.
    I've got one that was an impulse buy at a gun show 4-5 years ago. I paid $135 IIRC.

I was very impressed with the quality of workmanship for the price, but I've only run a few mags through it. No problems at all that I recall. I just may need to drag it out & play with it a little more!

I have both barrels, but I don't remember it having two slides; I think both barrels use the same slide, with the long barrel just sticking out further (?).

Obviously, I have not fired it enough to vouch for its reliability or durability, but if it proves to hold up fairly well, it'll be an extremely good value!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I think revolvers are less intimidating for new people.
    Less to go wrong, especially with 22lr.
    Lotsa jams depending on ammo in a semi.

Another option may be, if you own a revolver in 38/357, to pick up some Magtech 38 special short ammo.
    Out of a full sized gun, there's no recoil. In an airweight snubbie, it's still very mild.
    It's fairly dirty ammo but, serves a low recoil purpose.

In the Phoenix Arms HP 22; all I have heard is good things with exception of takedown ...there are good video's on the subject on u-tube. Its a nice choice for 22lr when you don't want to spend a lot of money ( and who does) ...I bought one for my son and he loves it. Bought him a Beretta Neos later and both are really nice shooters, Beretta is easier to clean but HP22 is easier on the pocket.
    I hear complaints about the magazines on the HP22 being harder on the fingers because there is no way to pull the follower down from the side but I didn't experience issues. Then again my fingers are not really sensitive because of the work I do.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Spend the $400 on a Ruger Mark III, or get a revolver (single six or Heritage).

I let my wife talk me into a Sig Mosquito and now I have to shoot high velocity ammo that cost me $8 per 50 a few years ago. Double that today. It won't shoot Federal or Remington bulk ammo.

My friend's single six out shoots my mosquito all day. He uses $3 per box ammo and mine is $8 per box.

Is this a gift, or something you'll keep and let her use? If a gift, I'd go with a revolver so it's easier for her to learn to maintain. If for her to theoretically carry someday, a ruger lcr in .22 is a good choice, but definitely not cheap.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

She might like this:

Check out the Beretta 22 neos....as accurate as a mark 3 and half the price..... 280 new all day long at gander mountain

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Stevew and rugerista like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links