My Glock 36 dilemma

My Glock 36 dilemma

This is a discussion on My Glock 36 dilemma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Glock 36 single stack .45 became my instant favorite and my EDC right off the bat, beating out my Glocks 19, 26 and 20 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: My Glock 36 dilemma

My Glock 36 dilemma

My Glock 36 single stack .45 became my instant favorite and my EDC right off the bat, beating out my Glocks 19, 26 and 20 for that everyday job. I still occasionally grab the others but my default every morning has been the 36 for the better part of the last month.

During that time I've launched upwards of 1200 rounds thru it over many range sessions. It recoils light for a .45, is accurate and it's a Glock. I love shooting it.

But unlike most Glocks it has not been 100% reliable. More like 95% reliable. At all of my range sessions I've had at least one FTF, FTE, slide locking back for no reason and just lately, a spent casing trapped in the chamber. I get at least one jam per session/100 rounds.

All this has lead to me improving my tap/rack/clear drills but doesn't instill the type of confidence I like in a SD firearm. My 19 and 26 have been flawless through 1000 rounds through each.

So what do I do with a gun I love to carry and shoot but is suspect with regards to reliability? What have you done when you encountered that problem child in your carry rotation? I am carrying my 36 as I write this but wondering what I should do next if anything at all.

I have zero problems with my G36 after many many rounds through it.

G36 is also my favorite carry over G19 and G26.

I know round count is low and that is why I like the G36, I'm accountable for every round fired so give me 45acp knock down in good package and I'm happy.
    DetChris likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Something not right there. It really should cycle any ammo out there. That's just what Glocks do... But what sort of ammo are you using? Have you tried different types?

Are you using the magazine that it came with, or an extended mag? Did you purchase the gun new or used?

Do you have a friend that shoots that can run it for a little while to see if they encounter the same problem?
    pmspaul likes this.

Purchased brand new. Factory mags (no hi cap mags for the 36). Just good ol factory range ammo. American eagle, blazer bronze, herter's, etc. doesn't have an ammo preference. Works great 95% of the time and 5% (usually in the middle of my range sessions) it pukes on a round or two. I guess the good news is the first 5-6 mags are usually flawless. That's all I will need for a real firefight anyway.

GH
    If every time you went to the range & the first round fired successfully then that's all you need. Riiiiight, lol.

Could this be a heat problem? After 4 or 5 mags the gun gets hot & something inside is expanding? I'd definitely give Glock a call & let them know. Something isn't right.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    ^ this. I'd get on the phone with Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    If every time you went to the range & the first round fired successfully then that's all you need. Riiiiight, lol.

Could this be a heat problem? After 4 or 5 mags the gun gets hot & something inside is expanding? I'd definitely give Glock a call & let them know. Something isn't right.
    Good point. I was going to call them but didn't exactly know what to say. The failures are not a consistent type. It only happens in the middle of 100 rounds. It's good at the start and at the end.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Reliability is #1
    Have you considered replacing magazine springs and or the recoil spring?
    Have you shot 100 - 200 rounds of your carry ammo without malfunction?
    If it works 100% with 200 rounds of carry ammo, that would be a factor.

If a pistol doesn't like one particular bullet, but works 100% with others I've given them a pass.
    I like bigger bullets, but a pistol must feed, fire, & eject (not toward my head) for me to carry / keep it.
    My Glock 36 is close to firing 300 trouble free rounds, but nearly all of it has been either 230 gr. Ranger T or Hydra-Shok (carry ammo)
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    How much SD ammo do you have on hand. You might want to consider firing 30 rounds of target and then try running your SD ammo through it for the next 30 and see if still has issues.

By the way if you are not using the G19 I can give you my address and you can send it to me for a while. I promise I will clean it every time I shoot it and take very good care of it.

Every now and again I come across a few light loaded rounds in a box of range ammo.

Also I only shoot 230gr in my G36.

Don't give up on the G36 as it is a true CC fighting gun.
    jem102 likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    I carry a 36 every day I just repllaced the recoil spring assembly. I felt it was time before I experienced a failure. Glock has made a change in the recoil spring assembly also for the 36 just may be something to look at.
    DetChris likes this.

I have a 30sf.....works like a swiss watch.....check springs, carriers or replace you mags.
    DetChris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Every now and again I come across a few light loaded rounds in a box of range ammo.

Also I only shoot 230gr in my G36.

Don't give up on the G36 as it is a true CC fighting gun.
    It was probably the only gun where I researched and shopped around for months before buying. I'll tough it out. It's a heck of a gun. Aside from the minor and infrequent nuisances, it's the most comfortable and hard hitting gun in my arsenal.

This is one of the reasons I do not have a "carry rotation" I find the weapon I like. I put it thru its passes. Then carry it. Its just me.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is one of the reasons I do not have a "carry rotation" I find the weapon I like. I put it thru its passes. Then carry it. Its just me.....
    Well I almost don't have a rotation anymore since I got the 36. I love it so much that I pick it over anything else in my safe almost every day. My only question is what if the one you love carrying is the problem child of your collection?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links