Shield .40 question/concern

This is a discussion on Shield .40 question/concern within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am the proud owner of a Shield .40. I was surprised when I called a local gun store and they said they had one. ...

Thread: Shield .40 question/concern

I am the proud owner of a Shield .40. I was surprised when I called a local gun store and they said they had one. Cleaned her last night and I went with 200 rounds and 25 defense rounds to the range today after work. I stared loading the rounds into both magazines and I couldn't even get 5 into the 7 round magazine and couldn't even get one into the 6 round magazine. The springs seemed so tight. I asked my buddy to try (thinking I was some kind of weakling and he gave me a smirk when I asked him) and he couldn't even do it. I took the magazines to one of the employees behind the counter and he couldn't even do it. He let me borrow a magazine loader and it took alot of force to load them. After about 150 rounds they seemed to be lightening up some but still could not load them by hand.

Any suggestions or should I just get in touch with S&W and see what they have to say?

Thanks a lot

Rob

I find my Shield 9 mags to be very difficult to load - but not impossible. Does the store have another mag or 2 that you could try?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Load both mags to full capacity and let them sit. Getting the 8th round in the 8 round mag is still pretty stiff. Shield 9mm

I had the same issue with my 9mm Shield. I got an UpLULA loader, problem solved. Everything was pretty tight on my Shield, especially the slide release, but loosened up a bit after 200 rounds.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

Did not have that problem. I had the mags fall out while shooting. Sent it in when I got it back they had done lots of work really polished the feed ramp smoothed the trigger an mags were flawless. Cant say enough about the service the gun runs awesome

Love my Sheild .40... The mags were difficult to load at first but seem to be easier after being used for a year. As someone else noted, the UpLula does help quite a bit.

I also had the magazine drop problem as well as a problem with the rolled pin just foward of the trigger guard working it's way out. S&W took care of those problems with no fuss and even sent another magazine after the second repair.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Huh, guess I am glad I got the 9mm instead of the 40. My magazines are no problem to load.

It's a challenge to get the last round in both of my mags.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

UpLula is way to go, loaded both my mags to full capacity let them sit for two days went to range shot about 50 rounds through each mag now can load mags to full capacity with just using my hand i have .40 Shield

Links