Technique for releasing retaining strap on holster?

This is a discussion on Technique for releasing retaining strap on holster? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry in a nylon holster with a thumb break. It used velcro to hold the two sides of the thumb break and ...

Thread: Technique for releasing retaining strap on holster?

I used to carry in a nylon holster with a thumb break. It used velcro to hold the two sides of the thumb break and once adjusted a metal snap held the gun.

When I obtained a firing grip my thumb would automatically touch the thumb break and it took little effort to pop it open. This was good.

I bought 2 new holsters and am having trouble with both of them. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Galco Cop 3-slot holster: The thumb break is much higher (around the top of the hammer) and cannot be adjusted because it is leather. When I have a firing grip on the gun it is difficult to get my thumb on the thumb break to release it.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp...76&CatalogID=4

Galco VHS Shoulder Holster: There is a snap that goes around the bottom of the gun and snaps around the trigger guard. It is below my index finger but when I have a firing grip it is very difficult to unsnap with my finger. I have to remove my hand and use my thumb to unsnap it.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2924&CatalogID=2

Am I doing something wrong? Ideas???

Assistant Administrator
    John - I can only guess, not having either problem rig myself - but you have maybe answered this in part regarding how naturally or unaturally your thumb gets to the metal snap.

I doubt you are doing much wrong rather than having an ergonomics problem. I have not used any retention devices for ages - even my shoulder rig (Bianchi) is a fwd break, against its strong internal spring plate.

I am wondering if with a new rig, a miniscule application of silicon lube to the metal snap could smooth it and make release a bit freer. That tho still won't alter positional factors.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

For some reason I can't keep anything secured to my body. Cell phones constantly fly off (I tried all kinds of cases), magazines eject themselves and hit the ground.....

I even had a THICK belt I bought at a Police supply shop (less than 6 months old) BREAK IN TWO while I was in Wal-Mart nearly dumping my holster and gun onto the floor. If it can get loose from me... it will!

I'd love to carry with an open-top holster but I KNOW what would happen to me!

The lube certainly might help. I guess I was wondering if it is "normal" to release the thumb break BEFORE obtaining a firing grip?

When I have a firing grip using my Cop 3-slot my thumb is only able to barely reach the edge of the thumb break making it really tough to unsnap it. - Not good if I am in a hurry.

Assistant Administrator
    You have bodily poltergeists LOL!

I am doing my best to recall my sequence when I used a restraint - as best I remember, the thumb led the dive to gain a grip - and as my fingers closed round the grip - to begin the aquisition, my thumb was sweeping the break free.

So in part - I was freeing things off ''en route'' to the firing grip - but fast enough that it did not slow things much. To gain the full firing grip first might I think be counter-productive but much will depend as I said, on the rig ergonomics.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    You probably are not going to like my suggestions but, here goes anyway.
    If you buy a custom holster (sans retention strap) that arrives at your door very tightly molded to the firearm you will be able to do bouncing cartwheels with that holster and not ever lose your firearm. In my opinion civilians no longer need retaining strap holsters since the top custom makers arrived on the carry scene with their ultra~high quality carry rigs.

Galco makes a good quality holster but, it cannot compare to a custom as far as the firmness/stiffness of the leather is concerned.
    I personally would not ever again hamper myself with an unnecessary retention strap on a self-defense carry holster.

I have some older Galco holsters and I like them so I am not slamming Galco...they have been making holsters for ages. They are very well constructed but, are not as tight as a custom.

I also OFTEN carry in a shoulder rig & "hands down" Louis Alessi makes the greatest shoulder rig with the "pull through" retention strap that snaps over the front of the trigger guard and you just yank on the firearm & it unsnaps itself....every time.
    It is an incredible lightning-fast shoulder holster - I would never carry in a shoulder rig with the usual Thumb~Type retention strap again.
    I have been totally and forever spoiled by Alessi.

Lead Moderator
    Have to agree w/ P95. Sweep the thumb break as you aquire a grip .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    QK is right on the point . But for the rest of us who suffer along with production leather , i suggest you modify your draw stroke a bit , so ( on the thumbrake ) your thumb is held stiffly out , and pointing up relitive to the slide , then sleep the thumb in and down to pop the snap , done right this will pretty much leave it in place to go on top of the safety on a 1911 lol . On the snubby sholder rig , use the " bird " to pop the snap ( under the trigger guard ) as you aquire a grip , Its unnatural at first , but just do dry draws , ( draw and present the pistol to a spot on the wall without fireing ) a fiew evenings and you will build the muscle memory fast enough .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    QKS, if he doesn't like yours,he wont like mine either.

With the proper training and the proper holster/belt combo,I would highly suggest that you NOT have a retaining strap on your CC holster.

This, for the reasons stated above(and others). -------

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    I used to carry in a nylon holster with a thumb break. It used velcro to hold the two sides of the thumb break and once adjusted a metal snap held the gun.
    This won't help you with your current problem, but I will be interested in seeing the responses posted by others.

I too have a holster like the one you described above, mine is an Uncle Mike's. It is the only retention strap that I have found that is instantaniously releasable. It woks well for me, so that's what I stick with.

I have been considering a custom holster as of late, but have yet to find one that I like enough to make the switch.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

when I wear a thumb break holster I have trained to release the snap as I get my grip on the pistol.

I index my trigger finger along the outside of the holster, start to grip the pistol with the other fingers and slide my thumb down until the snap opens so that as I raise the pistol my thumb drops into position.

I practiced this a few hundred times until it is one smooth motion to draw, a lot quicker than the level 3 retention duty holsters I carried at one time.

I use the strap when I am going into a crowded area as a little more retention.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

You guys all make a lot of sense. I tried altering my draw so that I pop the break BEFORE I get my fingers all the way around the grip. I think with practice this might work.

I used the Cop 3-slot during my first IPSC match. I tightened the retention screw and did NOT use the thumb break. (Hope that was "legal".)

I am sure a GOOD open top holster would be a bit faster but I will have to find a way to get comfortable with it - especially with my knack for items coming off my belt.

I even had a paddle holster come off (I didn't notice it riding up this time) and hit a concrete driveway on the way down. - Gun was OK fortunately!

Thanks!
    John

Sponsored Links