Dan Wesson CCO: range report

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson CCO: range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Range Report: Dan Wesson CCO Brand new in box, so I field stripped, cleaned out factory oil and relubed. I used Enos Slide Glide (medium) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dan Wesson CCO: range report

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar

Range Report: Dan Wesson CCO

Brand new in box, so I field stripped, cleaned out factory oil and relubed. I used Enos Slide Glide (medium) to lube the top of barrel and rails. I used a drop of oil on the pivot point of barrel link.

I shot the following ammo: 150 rounds of Blazer 230 gr FMJ
    50 rounds Tula Ammo 230gr FMJ
    75 rounds PMC bronze 185gr JHP

Started off from 7 yds with the Blazer ammo. My initial point of aim was dead center of the bullseye, which brought my hits too high. Here is the target after my first seven rounds:

I was thrilled to see such tight grouping from this pistol, as I was not really too concerned about accuracy, but rather just seeing how the CCO felt in the hand, reliability, etc…
    So, second magazine my point of aim became the “lollipop” sight picture, and BAM, the point of impact was right where I wanted it!

ZERO malfunctions through the first 100 rounds or so, and then……failure to lock back after last round. This occurred once or twice, at which point I took some Q-tips and swabbed out the area around the slide lock (on the interior of the slide) and was back in business with NO further problems. (I have two Wilson Combat mags in the mail, if indeed the failure to lock back occurred as a fault of the factory Checkmate mags?)

The trigger pull was like none I had ever experienced: light, predictable, short return, and smooth.
    This thing is a SHOOTER!!
    As I got more comfortable, I began to double tap and “dump” a mag full into the target. Accuracy barely suffered, even at full speed shooting.

From 25 yds out, my POI was way high……and I remember reading about some CCO models needing a taller front sight? Will Dan Wesson send me the correct sight? What kind of pusher do I need to install?

I ran a Bore Snake through the barrel every so often, and wiped the feed ramp down with Q-tips. Near the end of my session, I had problems with some Golden Saber JHP, in which the very last round would not feed into the chamber…..but seemed to be nosedived into the base of the ramp?
    I wiped it down and went back to the PMC bronze JHP, and the problem went away.

I could not believe how many times my shots would literally hit the same hole I had just shot! I started getting cocky and taking insanely difficult shots (hitting just one replacement dot from the Shoot N See target) and have never had such an accurate pistol.

I have been shooting lots of double action revolver lately, so perhaps that translates into a much easier time with a single action?

Very satisfied with this 1911, and am happy to have one of my dream carry guns.
    VZ Black Cherry 320’s are in the mail……and a TT Gunleather IWB & Wilson Combat mags.
    WHEC724 and Sap03 like this.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the CCO. I have a discontinued CBOB that shoots way better than I do. When my time comes, it will be handed down to my oldest son. DW and CZ knows how to build a quality firearm.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Nice looking, quality pistol.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    A 2013 CCO from the new factory?

Your groups are great, so don't sweat the 25 yard stuff.

Most writers have came away from using 25 yards these days as a benchmark for
    accuracy with combat pistols and revolvers.

Enjoy that DW CCO. Mine will come in someday.

Hey clarkston_cz,
    No, not a 2013 from the factory.
    Mine is a NIB 2010 that somehow escaped a buyer until I spotted it hidden behind the glass.

Nice Find!

Nice gun.

I too have found my accuracy improved when shooting SA because I predominantly shoot DA revolvers with heavy trigger pulls.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I see you've turned to the dark side...The revolver gods will be angry! (but I like it)
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    I see you've turned to the dark side...The revolver gods will be angry! (but I like it)
    I have owned and carried many types of firearms......but this one has the best out-of-box accuracy that I have experienced.

A friend of mine had a Dan Wesson 357 magnum back in the eighties. He bought it new and that thing had the richest blueing I've ever seen in my life. It looked like it was wet all the time and I've never seen anything like it since. It was striking...and yes, very accurate. It oozed quality. Congrats on a great looking gun!!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

UPDATE:
    I had been carrying all day yesterday, and stopped by the range on my way home for a "test".
    On occasion, I like to stop by and see how the weapon would have performed, should the need to defend myself had presented itself.

So, I approach target, draw weapon and engage.
    ZERO malfunctions with 4 magazines of JHP.

During my review, I had written about some malfunctions, and those had been weighing heavily on my mind.
    Not to say that the DW won't ever experience another malfunction, but it was reassuring to know that, in my holster, all greased and cocked and locked, was a reliable and accurate 45 ACP!
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    One of my fav brands and sizes for a 1911......DWs are awesome pistols

Pretty good for a new DW>

I know my CBOB

was very very tight when I got it, but nary a wobble or bobble with any reloads or factory ammo..

Have you settled on a carry load for it yet?

No carry load settled yet.
    I am currently carrying some PMC Bronze 185gr JHP. Not my first choice by any means, but they are the only round that I have run enough trough the gun to feel confident about feeding them.
    I am only using the two factory Checkmate mags for now too....because the Wilson's have not even been used yet!

This gun and I have some serious range time ahead of us..........and I am pleased!

UPDATE: 6/23
    Fired over 250 rounds this morning, with new Wilson Combat magazines and VZ grips installed.
    Great grips, felt good in the hand. Need O-rings to prevent screws backing out, but that is simple enough.

The Wilson Combat mags performed flawlessly!
    ZERO malfunctions, just solid performance. Superb fit and finish.

One of my factory Checkmate mags does occasionally fail to lock back....but it is relegated to range duty now!
    Now have over 600 rounds through the CCO, and trust it for daily carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links