HIGH priced pistols

HIGH priced pistols

This is a discussion on HIGH priced pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I don't get it, maybe someone can explain it to me. I went to a local gunshop grand opening recently with the sole ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree315Likes

Thread: HIGH priced pistols

HIGH priced pistols

I guess I don't get it, maybe someone can explain it to me. I went to a local gunshop grand opening recently with the sole intent to shoot a wilson combat 45. I wanted to see what the hype was. The Wilson Combat rep was supposed to be there. He noshowed on that day (Sunday). So I shot the shop owners personal Wilson. Retailed for $6500. It shot fine. No better or worse than my Sigs, Glocks, or HKs. No more accurate. I certainly don't think it would be more reliable. Of course couldnt tell that at the range, but I would think less reliable than any of the aforementioned guns. So, is it just snob appeal? Like having an embroidered little horse on a shirt? Would some of you "high end 1911" owners weigh in here? Thanks.
    1911er likes this.

VIP Member
    I do not own any “high end” guns but some people have the cash available to have a gun built exactly to their own personal specs. Along the same lines as if you can afford it why not drive a Corvette instead of a Vega.
    OD*, JD, smolck and 11 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Msgt/ret, a vega! Dating yourself a little :) wonder how many are scratching their heads whats a vega

I don't have any super high end pistols like the Wilson you mentioned.

However, I have shocked a few friends when they have fired my Rugers and compared them to their H&Ks and Sigs with similar if not better accuracy from my Rugers.

There can be a quality difference in those higher end guns. I know that H&Ks, Sigs etc are more in line with being Mercedes whereas my Ruger is more more a Honda or Chevy. Unless I have a ton of money someday I don't see myself buying a Wilson custom ala Ferrari.

They are better but I can still shoot you with my "Honda."
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Im with you on this one. I had no idea that wilson's cost that much, btw. I dont really care, Im one of the G 19, or M&P 9 crowd. Why? Because they run when others fail.

I have a friend that has a wilson on order. If I could get him down to tactical response, I think he would change his mind about model 1911's.

I understand the performance aspect ie: corvette to vega. Thats why I addressed that (I thought) in the original post. The Wilson did not outperform anything. I have shot Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, & now Wilson. All were nice guns. All did nothing that a Ruger, Glock, etc couldnt do as well. A .6" 15yd., benchrest group (Nighthawk test target) is the same regardless of what gun it came from. I do think reliability is something you can buy. I think an HK, Glock, S&W, etc. will usually be more reliable than a Hipoint, Jennings or Lorcin.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    went to range and saw that they had a night hawk customs 1911 in the rental case, had to rent it and try it out to see if i NEEDED it more then i need 3500 dollars.

as compared to my Kimber:

not that the Kimber had a bad trigger by any means but the night hawks trigger was superb.

wayyy better slide to frame fit, and overall super tight tolerances. which feels nice but may jam up if its too dry and dirty.

really nice checkering, and top of slide, sights serrations, but not absolutely needed.

over all fit and finish was better, wish i could of seen the insides.

cant speak for the reliability over just 50 rds but my Kimber as been 100 percent reliable over 3000 rds.

was it 300% better then the Kimber, prob not. would buy one if i have spare money sitting around? absolutely.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JORZAC View Post
    I guess I don't get it, maybe someone can explain it to me. I went to a local gunshop grand opening recently with the sole intent to shoot a wilson combat 45. I wanted to see what the hype was. The Wilson Combat rep was supposed to be there. He noshowed on that day (Sunday). So I shot the shop owners personal Wilson. Retailed for $6500. It shot fine. No better or worse than my Sigs, Glocks, or HKs. No more accurate. I certainly don't think it would be more reliable. Of course couldnt tell that at the range, but I would think less reliable than any of the aforementioned guns. So, is it just snob appeal? Like having an embroidered little horse on a shirt? Would some of you "high end 1911" owners weigh in here? Thanks.
    The same kind of question can be asked about automobiles, stereo systems, cameras, steaks.....you name it. Why would a person purchase a Lexus when a Toyota Camry does the same thing (provide transportation) for a lot less money? Or why would you buy a high end 35mm camera like a Nikon costing thousands when you can buy an automatic camera producing exellent quality photos for a few hundred dollars? Some people (including me) appreciate the finer things. And....being retired and being financially prudent during my working life, I can afford to buy "nice" things. There is no real answer to your question and it's been raised on the forum many times in the past. A Glock shoots fine for self defense, but a well-tuned, high-end, close tolerance 1911 is probably more accurate. Do we need target gun accuracy for a self defense handgun? Probably not.....It's all about what makes YOU happy and what YOU can afford.

I own and shoot a Kimber and had the chance last month to shoot a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. I could tell the difference (especially in the trigger, sweet). I know that a Thunder Ranch is not on the same level as a Wilson, but it did leave me wondering how much better the real high end stuff was. I'm definitely not knocking the guys who fork over the money for the really high end guns (I might if I had the coin laying around). Perhaps those lucky guys could chime in and give come insight the rest of us.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Msgt/ret, a vega! Dating yourself a little :) wonder how many are scratching their heads whats a vega
    Chevy Vega, 1971 car of the year !
    msgt/ret, Stoveman and Oldpsufan like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I am sure the Wilson would be more accurate than I am. The same can be said for many other guns. Although my shooting might improve to some degree with a Wilson I'm also sure that at some point I would still miss and it wouldn't be the guns fault.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Personally, I don't like the concept of buying/having a high end SD tool. I look at low, middle and high and buy the middle. For the price of that Wilson Combat you could have 8 reliable production line handguns. Now, a millionaire that's a low end, I'm talking the average firearm aficionado. To me it's a bit boring to just shoot the same gun if you are a fan (not an antique or collectable type). I'm more of an 'efficient' use buyer, with a range gun, a carry gun, an oldie but goodie, a BUG, and maybe a pocket gun and a revolver or two. Just thinking aloud.

As far as a trigger being great, I really think my 1980s vintage S&W semi-auto DA/SA is better than any trigger on my more modern production line semi-autos. It's very tight, also, all steel. In some ways, they don't seem to make 'em like they used to. :)

JD
    Administrator
    In terms of 1911s, yes the higher dollar guns are better for a number of reasons. Better materials, better fit, better finish, wider range of options etc.

My Nighthawk and Lima's Wilson have been more reliable than our Glocks, Sigs, and M&P.

I would gladly take either of those two guns or my Thunder Ranch Special to any training class and watch the instructors scratch their head over the affair, just as I've all ready done. Tactical Response or Pincus? Sure, when I get the chance I'll be more than happy to run any of my guns in.

And it's not just 1911s, you can drop $3K on a Sig if you are so inclined. Just like you can on any gun.

My Nighthawk, to the best of my knowledge is a one-of-a-kind piece, I've never seen another like it, built to nearly 100% of my specs and it flat out runs. Now that being said, I run my HKP30LS in 9mm just a bit better, it's lighter, and holds twice the capacity. But again that has a trigger job that costs almost as much as a new Glock on top of the price of the Hk.

I have a G17 that will end up being a $1K Glock by the time it's done being worked on.

Are these guns "better" than their counterparts? Maybe, maybe not. If you like long, heavy, squishy trigger they might not be the best for you. If you don't like a 38oz pistol (I'm generalizing) then they might not be the best for you. If you don't like 8+1 they might not be the best for you.

But when you compare them to a pistol of like-kind, they are better. Just as I think a smoothed up "X" will be better than a stock "X"

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    If somebody has that kind of disposable income and can afford a $6500 gun then they can go ahead and do that. If all it is a range or investment gun then it is fine but to spend that much for a self defense gun I don't understand spending more than you would for a Glock or M+P. they are going to be as if not more dependable and will work just as well for self defense situations. As a matter of fact I don't understand why people would spend the $1000 plus on a Kimber or Colt 1911 when you can buy a Glock or M+P and have a more dependable SD pistol that has more capacity.

I imagine a gun in that price range is essentially hand-built, with each component machined to fit the next by someone who actually knows how to do it. In theory, this could make it substantially more reliable and more accurate than any factory-built gun.

As for how it shoots: well, you can put me on a golf range with a $50 set of clubs or a $2000 set of clubs, and the results would be exactly the same. Perhaps it's the same for you and 1911's.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links