My LCR traded in my .357 for a .38

This is a discussion on My LCR traded in my .357 for a .38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yup I got rid of my .357 magnum KLCR today in favor of the .38 Special version. You may think I'm crazy to downgrade but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My LCR traded in my .357 for a .38

Yup I got rid of my .357 magnum KLCR today in favor of the .38 Special version. You may think I'm crazy to downgrade but my months of owning the .357 revealed a few key deficits with the little hand cannon.

The first most glaring fault is the 4-5oz weight discrepancy between the .357 and .38 versions. It may not seem to be a huge difference on paper but in my hand there was a very perceptible difference. The .357 is a porker. Almost too heavy for pocket carry which is my goal for the LCR. The .38 is a very lightweight gun. Extremely pocketable.

Next is shooting the .357 magnum cartridge from a LCR. Talk about a very unpleasant shooting experience. The recoil and muzzle flash is jarring. Hurts the hand - after 2-3 cylinders full, my hands would plead for me to stop. Shooting the .357 magnum from a short barrel in anything other than an outdoor setting is crazy loud and blinding. IMO the LCR is a very inadequate for such a powerful load. I would never use that load out of the diminutive LCR for SD. It would disorient me more than defend me.

The extra heft does help with shooting .38 +P rounds but its not worth the extra pork I have to carry around all day.

So I made the switch and I'm very happy with how the .38 carries now.

Anyway just sharing my experiences.
    Last edited by DetChris; June 20th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

VIP Member
    Carry what's comfortable. If it's comfortable you will carry it more, IMO.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Exactly why I went with the .38 from the start. Nice revolver...enjoy!
    SmokinFool and RichB70 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Yup I got rid of my .357 magnum KLCR today in favor of the .38 Special version. You may think I'm crazy to downgrade but my months of owning the .357 revealed a few key deficits with the little hand cannon.

The first most glaring fault is the 4-5oz weight discrepancy between the .357 and .38 versions. It may not seem to be a huge difference on paper but in my hand there was a very perceptible difference. The .357 is a porker. Almost too heavy for pocket carry which is my goal for the LCR. The .38 is a very lightweight gun. Extremely pocketable.

Next is shooting the .357 magnum cartridge from a LCR. Talk about a very unpleasant shooting experience. The recoil and muzzle flash is jarring. Hurts the hand - after 2-3 cylinders full, my hands would plead for me to stop. Shooting the .357 magnum from a short barrel in anything other than an outdoor setting is crazy loud and blinding. IMO the LCR is a very inadequate for such a powerful load. I would never use that load for SD. It would disorient me more than defend me.

The extra heft does help with shooting .38 +P rounds but its not worth the extra pork I have to carry around all day.

I was considering picking up the LCR and considering these trade offs. Thanks for sharing.

You live and you learn ....

Understandable, it is a heavy for a pocket, though doable. Me, I'm keeping the .357 even though I load it with .38. Good to have options.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I went with the LCR about two months ago and haven't regretted it a bit. Super easy to carry and conceal, lightweight and with the nicely grooved handle it is easier to get to in the front pocket than the IWB carry.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Sounds like the right move. I can't imagine shooting a .357 out of something that small. Congrats on making a good decision rather than stubbornly clinging to the larger cartridge.
    SmokinFool and rammerjammer like this.

...I haven't fired a .357 round in almost 20 years...my SP101, though a chunky little sucker, gets fed .38 +P...I want ALL the pain on the other end...I'm a sissy!!!
    emawildcat and 2wheelGnnr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

Next is shooting the .357 magnum cartridge from a LCR. Talk about a very unpleasant shooting experience. The recoil and muzzle flash is jarring. Hurts the hand - after 2-3 cylinders full, my hands would plead for me to stop. Shooting the .357 magnum from a short barrel in anything other than an outdoor setting is crazy loud and blinding. IMO the LCR is a very inadequate for such a powerful load. I would never use that load out of the diminutive LCR for SD. It would disorient me more than defend me.

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts on the LCR greatly. I'm looking to purchase one, and have been going back and forth in my mind re caliber. I think I want to go with the 38, but they more scarce than gallinaceous dentition around here.

I had an airweight .357 mag and it was indeed a very unpleasant gun to shoot. Training with it was more like eating brussel sprouts than eating cake. Don't like the 38 cartridge, but sure is better than a .357 at home. I was looking today at the velocity of a 125gr bullet from short barreled magnums, appears the speed and weight would put it more in the 9mm/38 camp anyways. And since you will be more likely to train and carry the .38, I say good move! (not that you or anyone else cares what I think is a good move )
    DetChris likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I carry snubs everyday, try the buffalo bore low flash low smoke +P's .38 I think you will really like them for carry
    DetChris likes this.

I sold my .38 LCR and have been carrying a Glock 26 since. I can honestly say I regret the move mort of the time and have thought about going back. The LCR in 38 trim is fantastic.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Nix
    I still have the .357 LCR....but I primarily shoot .38 Speciall +P.

Glad you like the LCR enough to just swap calibers. You seem to have made the right choice for you. That's extremely important. No reason to hold onto the old one just because of some psychological need to shoot .357s out of really small lightweight guns. I really love my LCR. I thought about getting it in .357, but knowing I would more than likely run mostly .38s in it anyway, I just went with the .38 from the beginning. Even using just plain range ammo, the recoil is very noticeable, partly because of the Crimson Trace grips, and after several cylinder's worth of shooting, it becomes uncomfortable. What this tells me is that I made the right choice. I figure with the current bullet designs out there, and new ones yet to be invented, the lowly .38 will do a fine job in the event I ever need it, as long as I do my job of putting the rounds where they need to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links