Hard to find handguns

Hard to find handguns

This is a discussion on Hard to find handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been perusing for a SA 1911 TRP Stainless to add back into my collection. Had one and made a trade I couldn't refuse ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hard to find handguns

Hard to find handguns

I have been perusing for a SA 1911 TRP Stainless to add back into my collection. Had one and made a trade I couldn't refuse at the time. I figured I could acquire another one easily enough........til Newtown happened and they have been hard to find, and when I do find them, they are way over price than I am willing to part with, since I paid about $1300 new for the other one about 2yrs ago.

Is it that SA is using all their efforts to keep up with the other more popular lines that is contributing to this models disappearance from LGS stocks?

Most every other handgun that was readily available pre-hype is available now with minimal effort except maybe some Smith revolvers.

Any other handguns you see in short supply?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Just for grins and giggles I have wanted to add a Webly to the collection but they have been somewhat scarce lately. Also the Broomhandles and Lugers seem to have dried up.
    OD* likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    I lusted after a Dan Wesson CCO model, but couldn't find them via my local gun store, nor his distributors. None to be had on Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc....
    Finally walked in on one at a local shop.....but didn't want to spend the money.
    But, when I pondered just how hard it was to get one.....I returned to the shop and bought it on the spot!
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I was in my favorite LGS yesterday and was surprised to see a SP101 in the display. Stocks of handguns and ammo are looking healthier....a little bit. But wheel guns are still pretty shy. S&W snubs aren't overly plentiful, nor are Rugers. The owner said that the mainstream manufacturers are focused on cranking out semi's. That sounds plausible. It must be the case of shifting a work force from one manufacturing process to another since I can't imagine the production of auto loaders and revolvers overlapping too much on machinery. But I've never toured a plant so I'm only guessing.

BTW. This shop has as good a price on pretty much any of their guns as can be found in the state. He sells more and sells for less. With that said, I noticed he had a couple of Mosins and they're now up to 200 samolies. My oh my, what times have come.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

CZs of almost any variety are very hard to find, of course it was like that BC (Before Craziness) as well.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Colt Detective Specials and Agents are as scarce as hens teeth around here. The Ruger "Six" series are also getting very scarce. Original Browning High Powers from Belgium are also getting pretty hard to find.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Walther PPQ M1 9mm. Next batch is scheduled to land early 2014 or so they say.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Searched for a year and a half for a Colt Delta Elite, none to be found and every distributor was on backorder, then happened to check out a LGS I seldom go to and they had three on the shelf and only two when I left.
    gasmitty and Nmuskier like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

When I found a sp 101 I snatched it up...called all around my area and everyone laughed...then I tried this little out -of-the-way shop I never knew of and ...wow this guy had everything...from a Barrett .50 to a Henry lever gun....My favorite place now

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    +1 on this one. A friend of mine has been looking for one of these for ages. There seems to plenty of other Walthers out there but not this one.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Just my opinion, but I think lots of people started looking hard at revolvers because of the fear of a semiauto ban. And if you live in some state that lowered mag capacity, the edge a semi gives you in normal conditions loses some of its luster.

ARs, and G 19s seem to be either coming back, or back, now, in Middle TN. Ammo is another story. The local walmart had 40 & 45 acp on the shelves last night, but zero .223, 5.56, 7.62, 5.45, 9mm, or .22Lr. Generally they dont have 40 or 45acp, either.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    I have been perusing for a SA 1911 TRP Stainless to add back into my collection. Had one and made a trade I couldn't refuse at the time. I figured I could acquire another one easily enough........til Newtown happened and they have been hard to find, and when I do find them, they are way over price than I am willing to part with, since I paid about $1300 new for the other one about 2yrs ago.

Is it that SA is using all their efforts to keep up with the other more popular lines that is contributing to this models disappearance from LGS stocks?

Most every other handgun that was readily available pre-hype is available now with minimal effort except maybe some Smith revolvers.

Any other handguns you see in short supply?
    I'm expecting to finally get the Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ in December. I ordered it thru a dealer from the factory in March!

The more desirable 1911s have been scarce around here for some time. At the end of 2010 when the hundredth anniversary of 1911s was coming up in 2011, I decided I needed a Colt series 70 1911. I finally found my Colt series 70 Wiley Clapp Talo edition a few months ago at a good price in a LGS after two and a half years of looking. I had no 1911s at the end of 2010 when I started looking for a Colt. Now I have seven 1911s including two Colts. The 1911s are very addictive and are now my primary carry guns.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I recently picked up the Walther PPQ M2 .40 - awesome gun!

To the op.. my lgs has the SA Loaded, Range Officer and the TRP 1911's, but it is not stainless. The "Loaded" model is though.

In my area the big money and big box stores have guns. The small places don't. It's the same with Ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links