What would YOU buy?

This is a discussion on What would YOU buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some of that DC wisdom! After a dry spell, my LGS got in a LOT of used handguns - and if I'm lucky, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What would YOU buy?

What would YOU buy?

Need some of that DC wisdom! After a dry spell, my LGS got in a LOT of used handguns - and if I'm lucky, the boss might even let me buy one! My preference is probably a subcompact, but there are some larger guns that I'd definitely like too.

The list below contains the specific guns I'm interested in, with prices. Given this list as your options, what single weapon would YOU choose? Assume they're all in similarly good condition (they seemed to be from my brief examination, except for a loose front sight on the Glock).

Walther PPS, $440
    XD40 subcompact, $370
    Glock 36 2nd gen with 4 mags and green plastic light-gathering sights, $470
    Cz P-07 in .40 caliber, $370
    Cz SP-01 9mm, $530
    Beretta PX4 subcompact, $400 (.40), $430 (9mm)
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

2. Remove Ads

I just handled a P-07 for the first time today and if I wasn't sold on getting a Glock 19 already I'd seriously be considering that as my next pistol.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Gen 3 Glock 19
    Badey likes this.

Nix
    How does that Walther look? I'm interested.....

From that list, given my interests and needs, either of the CZ's would do nicely. Of all of them, I'd prefer the CZ SP-01, hands down.

If you've not yet shot any of the CZ 75 series of pistols, do yourself a favor and pick it up. I predict you won't be unhappy. And, even if you're less than enamored of it, the resale market is fairly strong, so you'll be able to unload it easily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Looked nice enough, though I didn't handle it. There seems to be very little wear on most of these. The gun itself looks like it'd be a very nice cc piece, and I've read good reviews, but that's about all I know.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    From that list, given my interests and needs, either of the CZ's would do nicely. Of all of them, I'd prefer the CZ SP-01, hands down.

If you've not yet shot any of the CZ 75 series of pistols, do yourself a favor and pick it up. I predict you won't be unhappy. And, even if you're less than enamored of it, the resale market is fairly strong, so you'll be able to unload it easily.
    I do like the cz's, and I have one cz clone that I like very much. If the P-07 were 9mm I'd probably have bought it right off; I'm fine with .40 except it's just one more type of ammo to buy. Plus they're a little on the large side for my preference for carry, though the SP would be a GREAT hd and range gun.

Nix
    The PPS is a very appealing weapon for EDC/CC. It is on my short list. Accurate, reliable, $50 magazines. What else do you want?

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Meee to. Is it a 9 or a 40? Sounds like a good deal if it just has a little wear and has been cared for.

CZ P-07... wouldn't have to think twice, as long as it was in decent condition.
    OD*, archer51 and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

P-01. But you asked abt me and I'm not a .40 guy. If I was, either CZ. CZ's have quite a loyal following and rightfully so. Fan of Walthers too.

When I need to keep my CCW gun small I carry a Beretta Nano and have been very happy with it. However I would really love to test drive the Walther PPS. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I paid $425 for this LNIB PPS in 2010 when they were selling for $600+ NIB. Walther lowered their prices on the PPS shortly after that to around $500 NIB, so I'm not too excited about the $440 price tag on a used one.....but that is my choice of the lot, assuming you are looking for a carry gun.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Need some of that DC wisdom! After a dry spell, my LGS got in a LOT of used handguns - and if I'm lucky, the boss might even let me buy one! My preference is probably a subcompact, but there are some larger guns that I'd definitely like too.

The list below contains the specific guns I'm interested in, with prices. Given this list as your options, what single weapon would YOU choose? Assume they're all in similarly good condition (they seemed to be from my brief examination, except for a loose front sight on the Glock).

Walther PPS, $440
    XD40 subcompact, $370
    Glock 36 2nd gen with 4 mags and green plastic light-gathering sights, $470
    Cz P-07 in .40 caliber, $370
    Cz SP-01 9mm, $530
    Beretta PX4 subcompact, $400 (.40), $430 (9mm)

I have actually tired most of your list,check out the CZ SP 01
    I have become a CZ fan over the last few years and so has everyone I know
    who has tried a CZ , one of the best hand guns ever IMO

Distinguished Member
    Nothing but personal preference and what I'm interested in but - I'd be all over the SP -01 or the PPS. CZ's are fantastic, and I heard really good things about the Walther's too. Just the two I'd be interested in, I recall reading some people having some issues with the p-07's in .40 though.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links