S&W 340 PD Airlite 357mag.

This is a discussion on S&W 340 PD Airlite 357mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran across one today ..put it in layaway...gun has been carried ..but shot very ,very little (like most light J-Frames) Really didn't know to much ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: S&W 340 PD Airlite 357mag.

S&W 340 PD Airlite 357mag.

Ran across one today ..put it in layaway...gun has been carried ..but shot very ,very little (like most light J-Frames)

Really didn't know to much about them until after I put it in lay away..another fellow was getting ready to snatch it..
    scandium alloy frame with a titanium cylinder...no wonder they call it a Airlite....mostly got it for future trade bait..

The gun has a few marks on the black finish..salesman said thats normal wear on these...lock up was tight

2. Remove Ads

Very nice carry gun. I have been carrying mine for years with a clipdraw 24/7 I keep it loaded with
    125gr Remington golden sabers 38+p shooting 357 ammo out of it is more then a handful. Good luck with it.

Picture

I wanted a reminder of what these guns look like, so I did a Google image search. Here is what I found:

sioux565 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a 340SC. Sees a lot of pocket carry/BUG, use 38+p as well. Fired 2 357 mag rounds thru it. Glocking26 under-stated "the handful", so painful I couldn't finish the 5 shots. Designed to be carried a lot and shot a little.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Nice gun, well made, compact -- but impossible for many of us to shoot due to painfully excess recoil. If you buy it, find some low-power .38 Specials to practice with. I have a 442 that is difficult to shoot with .38+P loads. I only shoot reload wadcutters on the range. Perhaps I'm a Wimp...

I recommend the Taurus 850 grip. It's only $10 + shipping. Best combination of comfort and concealability I have found, and I have tried many. Plus it encourages a nice high grip which is better for recoil control. Finally, a grip that makes practice bearable with 135 gr +p Gold Dot 38s!!! BTW, there is no reason to shoot 357s out of your 340PD. Those Gold Dot +p short barrel 38 loads perform great in FBI testing (5 shot average):

.38 Sp Speer 135 gr +P JHP Gold Dot (53921) from 2" barrel:
    avg velocity=856f/s
    bare gel: penetration=13.1”, expansion=0.56”
    4 layer denim: penetration=13.6”, expansion=0.53”
    auto windshield: penetration=9.4”, expansion=0.51”

Here's a report from the Mousegun Addict who confirms the FBI testing results.

Look at the Taurus backstrap padding compared to a Crimson Trace LG-305:

"You ask for a miracle, I give you the F.B.I."

I had a 360 PD. Nice little gun. I shot enough magnums thru it that I had to send it back to Smith 2 times for new frames. Then I talked to the gunsmith, he said they only recommend 38's in those. If I want an airweight 38 I will buy one for 1/2 the price as the 357. I sold it.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

40Bob - Wish we had this conversation before I bought mine and sold it. Oh well, maybe next year at the EGF range. Adios, senor. Say hello to Jim and the rest of the gang for me.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Ran across one today ..put it in layaway...gun has been carried ..but shot very ,very little (like most light J-Frames)

Really didn't know to much about them until after I put it in lay away..another fellow was getting ready to snatch it..
    scandium alloy frame with a titanium cylinder...no wonder they call it a Airlite....mostly got it for future trade bait..

The gun has a few marks on the black finish..salesman said thats normal wear on these...lock up was tight
    I'm a fan of J-frames....my 637, which is an airweight, has almost 1,200 rounds through it, so I often quibble with the "designed to be carried a lot but shot little" mantra. However, I won't quibble with respect to the scandiums.

I have found that people either really want these or they really avoid them. To each their own. I think you will find it to be some very good "trade bait" if you go that route.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have a 360 and carry it most days. Recoil is STOUT! One handed, loose elbow & shoulder, firm grip & wrist.

Fight the recoil & you will feel it a TON more. Seen a LOT of these end up back at the LGS after someone bought it & did not realize how harsh the thing kicks.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have a steel frame S&W 649 Bodyguard and shooting the .357 ammo is impressive. I regularly shoot a couple of cylinders of magnums to stay in touch, but I shoot way more .38 special. Shooting +P .38 is comfortable and accurate and ample firepower for most any SD scenario. I can't imagine shooting magnums out of an Airlight. Definitely trade it.

For us J frame lovers a good alternative that won't beat you up is the Smith & Wesson Model 432PD in 32 H&R Magnum. Shooting 32 longs out of it is a pure joy and saving the 32 Mags for carry and occassional practise makes this model a winner.
    Attached Images

Links