GLOCK and the infamous not-fully-supported chamber

This is a discussion on GLOCK and the infamous not-fully-supported chamber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if there is any chance that GLOCK will eventually redesign their guns to have fully supported chambers. That seems to be the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GLOCK and the infamous not-fully-supported chamber

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

I was wondering if there is any chance that GLOCK will eventually redesign their guns to have fully supported chambers. That seems to be the ONLY real failing of their design -- and still many would not call it exactly that because most of the guns will never have a problem arise from the chamber's design. (Like me, I expect that since I shoot only normal factory rounds, never lead bullets, never reloads, I won't have a so-called "kaboom.")

So, what stops GLOCK from addressing this subject by offering a fully supported chamber? Surely they have to know that many would-be purchasers dislike the way things are right now...

Well the cost of redisign is probably the #1 reason being that they already sell a LOT of guns with their current design

Ok , I'm going to play dumb and learn something today ...What do u mean by fully supported . Can you explain in detail for me? I think im pretty smart when it comes to guns , but right now im dont feel that way .

The chamber on a glock is hogged out especially the 40 at about 6 oclock when you have the barrel remove it doesnt fully support the case

also 99.5% of the other pistols out there dont support the case fully either
    they just don't hog out the barrel as bad as glock does

A fully supported barrel will enclose almost all of the cartridge except the rim so the chances of blowing a case are slimmer

that's the simple explanation

I would think that the other reason that Glock does not fully support their chamber is, reliability. When you start increasing tolerances, you take a change of "crud" causing malfunctions. Glocks are known for their reliability in extreme conditions. IMHO, supporting their chambers would decrease their reliability.

I would agree that this is probably a concern more for those that reload than those of us that always shoot factory ammo.

IIRC, the caviat about not shooting lead rounds in a Glock had more to do with the hexagonal rifling than it did with the unsupported chamber.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

My opinion on "kabooms" in Glocks

You can see the "unsupported" effect on a Glock if you remove the barrel and examine it under a good light with a round of ammo dropped into the barrel. At the 6:00 o'clock position where the ammo feeds up the feed ramp into the barrel from the magazine, the sharp edge on the barrel has been "broken" or smoothed off. I presume this is done to enhance feeding of the ammo and avoid a sharp edge that could snag the round and jam the gun. There is a small crescent shaped area where the barrel does not fully contact the case of the ammo. This concerns many people, who think the case could rupture or "kaboom" at that spot.

I have a couple of Glocks in 9mm and .40 S&W and have put several thousand rounds of factory jacketed ammo through them, avoiding reloads or bare lead bullets. I have never had a problem, and the empty cases look fine and not bulged out. I always clean my guns after shooting so there is not buildup of crud in the barrel that could cause higher than normal pressures.

I believe that a normal Glock in good repair with clean barrel, shooting factory jacketed ammo, will not have a problem. The instances of burst ammo or barrel are probably due to overpressure or weak ammo cases resulting from poor reloads, barrel damage, lead buildup, or other factors. I think Glock knows this and hasn't changed their design because they believe it is a good design and the problem is exaggerated by some people.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Here is a short vid of a glock kb on a range somewhere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

Thiese pics should help illistrate the unsupported chamber , and what a fairly mild resulting kb looks like .
    Its not just glocks that kb tho , i have seen hk, kahr, springfield , and several other brands that have kb'd online . I have seen a glock kb in person ( a 10mm) tho . Most likely we hear about the glocks more because there simply are more glocks out there , not necessairly because they are more likely to kb.
    Attached Images
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Wow, thats very scary. It never ever occurred to me that the casing would not be fully supported by the barrel. Thanks Redneck, I will check out my P91dc this weekend.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by estimber View Post
    I would think that the other reason that Glock does not fully support their chamber is, reliability. When you start increasing tolerances, you take a change of "crud" causing malfunctions. Glocks are known for their reliability in extreme conditions. IMHO, supporting their chambers would decrease their reliability.
    I would agree witht his statement. In reality I know of many Glock .40 owners, but no one who has had a KB due to unsupported chamber.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    Wow, thats very scary. It never ever occurred to me that the casing would not be fully supported by the barrel. Thanks Redneck, I will check out my P91dc this weekend.
    I guess that's why we should read the owners manual. I would not shoot +p or .40s&w 180 grainers in a glock, then.
    Nor in my baby eagle, either.

there is so much "crap" going around about glock kB's ... and the vast majority of it is just that - CRAP.

every single kB i've ever seen or read about was a reload. RTFM and you'll find out glock says reloads are a no-no, especially cast lead bullets.

glocks are not the only pistol to kB ... i've seen 1911's that kB'd, revolvers that kB'd ... you get the idea.

shoot factory ammo, or if you want to shoot reloads, drop in an aftermarket barrel designed for it, and plug away

Senior Moderator
    Any firearm can go KaBoom! when fed improperly manufactured ammunition or fired with an obstructed bore.

Semi-Autos do it.
    Revolvers do it.
    Single Shot firearms do it.

A properly loaded round conforming to SAAMI pressure standards is not going to blow up your Glock.

A mis-manufactured round that is going to blow you Glock up will also blow up your Sig or S&W or H&K or Ruger or Colt or ....

Use quality ammo. Watch out for bullet set-back when chambering and re-chambering the same round (as we often do when loading / unloading / reloading or carry guns).

As RR pointed out - there are a lot of Glocks out there, so it stands to reason that even at a failure rate identical to other brands, we'd hear about more Glocks going boom.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Since we all like visual aids lol a fiew more kb pics of various firearms , thou i pretty much despise glocks for my own use, My distaste has nothing to do with thier quality . anyway on to the pics lol .
    Attached Images
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Q?- Is that auto on the stump a Sig or just a similar design?

Sig misquito i belive is the model , .22 similar looking to a 2/3 size 226

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links