Load magazine, slide releases on its own on Glock 21

This is a discussion on Load magazine, slide releases on its own on Glock 21 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 21 model that is about 12 years old. I purchased the weapon 5 years ago and little usage on the pistol. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Load magazine, slide releases on its own on Glock 21

Load magazine, slide releases on its own on Glock 21

I have a Glock 21 model that is about 12 years old. I purchased the weapon 5 years ago and little usage on the pistol. Today in the middle of qualifying for my CHL(Texas) renewal on the range course when instructed to load my magazine, I slapped it in and to my surprise the slide released forward without me pulling on it, as soon as the magazine was put in and seated the slide released on its own. Fortunately the instructor say what happened and did not ding me on it, but he said I might want to get that checked out. Anyone out there have this happen before and if so any idea what is the culprit? As stated I purchased it with what seemed little usage on it, and since I have owned it have probably put around 1,500 rounds through it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only surprise to me is that it took that long for it to happen. Many of the Glocks I've owned or used are prone to let the slide go forward when a magazine is energetically seated. It is likely due to wear on the slide stop lever, and is therefore easily corrected, if you feel that you must correct it. Alternatively, you could just consider a possible reduction in your reload times. :)
    gasmitty likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Yes, my G-21 does this with various mags, some but not all, and my G-19 does the same with some but not all mags. Most of it depends on how hard you seat the mag when loading the gun. I always do mine firm and sometimes the slide does go forward loading the top bullet in the mag. Since it has been happening since the early 1990's with my G-21 and in the last few years with my G-19's it is no issue for me. I either expect when the mag is sent home that I will press the slide lock lever or the slide will go home. No issue with either as I am expecting it. No time lost in either case. I have 20 mags for my G-21 and more than 25 for my twin G-19's. None are marked with which will cause the slide to go home when loading. Some of this may be how easy it is to get the slide lock lever to release the slide to go home.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Yep - no harm, no foul. I don't see a problem with the slide going home with an enthusiastic slap of the magazine.
    Failing to lock back on an empty mag, now that's a different situation.
    RETSUPT99 and Nix like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Several guns I've owned did this. None of my Glocks do (yet) but I consider it a bonus not having to rack the slide! I'd keep it as a feature!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My oldest Glock, a 2006 G19, does this about half the time. I don't see it as a problem at all. In fact I like it. It always locks back on an empty magazine. If that stops I'll just replace the slide stop with another factory part. The replacement is a piece of cake.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The pressure of the fully loaded mag slamming into the base of the slide causes slight movement, enough to sometimes release the slide stop if not fully engaged or worn. Mine's done a time or two.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've always considered it the flex in polymer gun's frames. My G22 and G23 did it straight from the box; fairly reliably at ~ 90%+ of the time. I have had my G23's slide skip over the top round in the magazine and close without a round in the chamber though so I try not to let it happen intentionally.

VIP Member
    My M&P's both release the slide when a fresh mag is inserted about half the time. I don't see a downside to it, particularly when pressed for time.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I would think that it would be a defect of some sort. I don't think it is supposed to work that way.

However, if it doesn't interfere with the function of the firearm and it doesn't create a safety hazard, I would think it is fine to live with.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

You're fine. Happens all of the time to me, even with NIB Glocks.

None of my Glocks do this, but my M&P45 has done it from day one. Doesn't bother me...just removes a step to condition 2, or whatever the striker equivalent is.

Thanks for the tips. Personally I agree that if anything it reduces reload time and is an advantage. Just wanted to make sure it was not the start of another problem.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TX Husker Fan View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Personally I agree that if anything it reduces reload time and is an advantage. Just wanted to make sure it was not the start of another problem.
    I was going to respond that some people like this "feature" on their guns (not me). If it bothers you, as also stated above, you can replace the slide stop lever for about $8 iirc and about 5 minutes' time. IMO, I would get a new slide stop. It also locks back the slide after the last round and I rather like that feature so wouldn't want it to be affected. The slide closing on its own can compromise safety, too, I'd think ...
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My M&P's both release the slide when a fresh mag is inserted about half the time. I don't see a downside to it, particularly when pressed for time.
    The M&P's are actually designed that way. They do that because if a duty person is in a firefight, it saves them a step.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Links