To Safety or not?

This is a discussion on To Safety or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to get your feeling on carrying guns with the safeties off. I am only referring to M&P's, XD w/ safety, Shield, LC9, ...

View Poll Results: Double Action/ Striker Safety Use?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 40.43%
  • No

56 59.57%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To Safety or not?

To Safety or not?

I would like to get your feeling on carrying guns with the safeties off. I am only referring to M&P's, XD w/ safety, Shield, LC9, etc. A manual safety when not really needed..

2. Remove Ads

I ordered my M&P compact without a safety. No fumbling around. In an emergency it's one less thing you'll have to think about.
    atctimmy, MDYR and pittypat21 like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I vote no safety for carry guns. Range guns: have a thousand safeties on it, you have forever to take a shot. But when a bad guy is shooting, stabbing, wrestling, kidnapping your wife or child, the last thing you need to worry about is getting a safety off. Buy a good holster, maintain trigger discipline.
    MDYR, fredg53 and oneshot like this.

DBS
    I don't like safeties on a carry piece. In fact, I won't buy a gun for carry if it has a safety. However, that's just me. Millions of other folks have proved that cocked and locked is a valid carry option.

As far as carrying with the safety off, plenty of people do that too. As long as your trigger pull is heavy enough to prevent an ND, the only issue with carrying with the safety off is inadvertently locking the gun. When the SHTF, you want to hear a bang when you pull the trigger.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    EDC is an XD40sc, 9 +1 with compact mag, trigger protected in a good holster (IWB 3Speed) or (OWB Serpa)

I have a safety on my Bersa Thunder Pro UC 9, but it is not needed given the 10lb trigger pull on the DA first pull (the gun is DA/SA and the safety is also a decocker). I like having it on the gun as it provides added safety when reholstering or moving the gun from my hip to my glovebox, but I would never use it when carrying, there is too much risk of fouling up the disengage and having a very bad day.

I do not use safeties its just one extra step when needed in a dire situation that said if your weapon does have external safety you must always train to disengage it on your draw because a safety may accidently get put on safe even though that wasnt the intention which is why all my edcs do not have any external safeties except for a grip safety on my xds.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

XD 45 service, trigger safety and beaver tail safety. Gun in hand safeties off, no levers or switches to deal with.

I personally don't see any issue (much less problems) in swiping a thumb safety as you come on target , training matters, how you train also matters IMO . While I won't tell anyone "how" to carry,(or how YOU "should carry") it is worth mentioning (IMHO) that even LEO have ND and it's called "glock leg" for a reason. Keeping your finger out of the trigger is simple enough it's the other things that MIGHT manage (including the holster itself "folding over") that can (and have) caused many injuries . Since I mainly carry a GI 1911 (occasionally a S&W M&P .40C which have similar safeties) it's something I have learned (and practiced so it's "second nature) I "think" many folks make more of swiping a safety off than is really involved. YMMV
    Cred's Cariad likes this.

Pistols and safeties, everyone should have em and use it often... I keep mine on top of my shoulders and used it to help me purchase a Glock.
    fredg53, doublea17 and rwponline like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I believe in manual safeties as well. You are simply more likely to shoot yourself than to die because it took you a tenth of a second to thumb a safety off as you draw. I carry a Glock 27, but the thinking behind it is a little off kilter. If you are too untrained to thumb a safety, are you trained enough to carry a pistol with one in the chamber and no safety? Just sayin'...

You should always be terribly aware and careful, but when I carry the Glock I'm even more aware and careful, because it is so easy to have an AD, and there is no second chance or almost.
    ninjahippie, Aceoky and maxwell97 like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    All of my firearms have safeties and I am not worried about it one bit in a stressful situation. I ALWAYS practice with the safety on, so it is second nature for all of my firearms to disengage the safety before I put my finger on the trigger. The safety is off somewhere between it clearing the holster and it being pointed at the intended target. If you aren't practicing enough that a safety wouldn't be an issue, than you aren't practicing enough. Well that is my humble opinion.
    Aceoky likes this.

When I carry my Shield I will use safety since it is there but with my Glock&40c no safety. But I treat them all with the respect they deserve and with trigger decipline

Safety is right below the thumb when drawing easy to flick it down with thumb while drawing to fire position. Round in chamber, safety always on until going to shoot.
    Aceoky likes this.

At one time I carried a S&W Model 459 that has a safety/decocker on the slide. I carried it with the safety off. Today I carry Sigs or a Glock; they all operate the same to fire; pull the trigger. Just my personal preference.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links