Why doesnt Sig make a competitive ccw gun?

This is a discussion on Why doesnt Sig make a competitive ccw gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to preface this thread with the fact that I am head over heels in love with Sigs... ...and that is what is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Why doesnt Sig make a competitive ccw gun?

I would like to preface this thread with the fact that I am head over heels in love with Sigs...

...and that is what is so frustrating. Just got my permit and I am looking for that perfect gun that I can stand to carry every day from here out. My friend has a 226 and I have never shot a gun as well or had as much fun as with that gun. It is really the ideal gun imo. I am convinced its the metal frame. I thought about a P229 but it has been deemed by the almighty internet as a gun that is too heavy/large for EDC. The P239 is a single stack...viable yes but still a bummer. Its just hard to compromise by choosing a P239 when there are guns lighter, smaller, and carry more firepower. Glocks, M&P's, XDM have a huge advantage on the Sigs for EDC. Maybe I am too picky and should just man up and strap on the 229? I just wish they would shrink it by a couple ounces and it would be the perfect ccw gun. I have seen the P224 and the P238 but they just dont appeal to me the way the P229 does (no rail, stubby grip).

Anyone share these thoughts?

Distinguished Member
    I have a 228 and the weight doesn't bother me when I do carry it. Sure it's heavier than my M&P40c but with a good belt and holster I can't really say I notice much of a difference in day to day ops. I also have no issue carrying a 220R.

If can get over the metal frame obsession you the 250 and 2022 become options.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Glock 19, 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by wberry85 View Post
    I would like to preface this thread with the fact that I am head over heels in love with Sigs...

...and that is what is so frustrating. Just got my permit and I am looking for that perfect gun that I can stand to carry every day from here out. My friend has a 226 and I have never shot a gun as well or had as much fun as with that gun. It is really the ideal gun imo. I am convinced its the metal frame. I thought about a P229 but it has been deemed by the almighty internet as a gun that is too heavy/large for EDC. The P239 is a single stack...viable yes but still a bummer. Its just hard to compromise by choosing a P239 when there are guns lighter, smaller, and carry more firepower. Glocks, M&P's, XDM have a huge advantage on the Sigs for EDC. Maybe I am too picky and should just man up and strap on the 229? I just wish they would shrink it by a couple ounces and it would be the perfect ccw gun. I have seen the P224 and the P238 but they just dont appeal to me the way the P229 does (no rail, stubby grip).

Anyone share these thoughts?
    missymay and liquid150 like this.

You mentioned lighter guns... a metal frame isn't the way to do it. I've never been a fan of Sig myself, but seriously don't listen to people on the internet. People carry full-size all steel frame 1911s just fine. Go and watch their youtube videos and read their posts on forums (including this one). If you like the gun and can shoot it better, carry it. I'm planning on switching to a revolver soon with only 6 or 7 shots at the ready before a reload compared to the 10-13 rounds you'd have in the 229. Right now I carry a Glock 30 with 11 rounds ready and 10 in a spare magazine. Get what you like and do what you want! Screw everyone else.
    Tzadik, USM1976, kmagnuss and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Glock 19, 9mm.
    It was only a matter of time until someone had to say glock. I trust my sp2022 as much as I would a glock. I have a custom Kydex holster I had made for it and it carries great. No need for a glock for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    kmagnuss and GSDSchutzhund like this.

I carry a P229 all day everyday, usually concealed. So I disagree with the internet's findings.

Distinguished Member
    Huh? I carry the P938. Have carried a P239 and 290 so what are you talking about? Are you saying that they just do not make one that you like? If not try the HK P2000SK which is my big boy carry gun. :)
    gun_bushido and Eric357 like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

My wifes EDC is 228..as well as me.
    ericb327 and kmagnuss like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

mkh
    I have carried a P220, a P229 and an SP2022 as my EDC on a rug.lt basis. They conceal well and while heavier than a Glock or XD they are not too heavy to carry.

My current EDC is a Sig RCS which is a 1991 commander slide on an officer size frame. I shoot 1911s better than another gun and the RCS is light and easy to conceal.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Try it yourself.
    kmagnuss and Eric357 like this.

Get a good belt and good holster (it is important that both are high quality. If only one is quality you will surely be let down) and carry happily. I carry a full size XD9 with no issues with quality gear. I tried going cheap and had all sorts of issues. I know more than a few people that carry 1911s, CZs, the old school steel framed S&W semi-autos and steel revolvers daily.
    wsquared likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I'm confused. A single stack is GREAT for concealed carry. My 1911 hides better than my HK P2000SK because of the handle thickness.

Weight is over rates, I prefer having some heft on my belt, lets me know its there. Also once you load up 8 extra rounds, I bet the "lighter" plastic gun weighs more than your single stack "heavy" gun.

Round limitations may be a concern, but with 7 + 1, I feel like I'd be prepared for almost any scenario, with the two 8 round magazines on my other hip I feel like if I ever run out of ammo, I'd lost the fight before it even started. That's why we practice mag changes.

Bottom line, if you listen to the Internet, than there is no gun that's a good choice. You can find bad things about every gun. Don't listen to what people on the Internet say, and I realize this is on the Internet. Get what you like, and shoot it often, and be the best you can be with it. In the end you'll be happy, and it'll make a great carry option.

FYI I love SIGs, my 1911 is the SIG RCS, and I have the P238 and would love to own a P938 (next purchase perhaps?). Can't go wrong with a SIG.

And + 1 on the "get a good belt and a good holster". These two items are more important than the gun when trying to conceal.

Yeah I think I am going to say forget the haters and just go get me a P229. I just dont have a lot of experience to go off of and the numbers dont look good in favor of the 229. I am 6'1" 200 lbs so I dont think it should be an issue. I have noticed a lot of the people recommending glocks and the like are all 150 lb skinny boys lol.
    kmagnuss and Eric357 like this.

I routinely CC a P220, P225, P226, or P228. Nothing wrong with any of them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have the SP2022 and it is very carry-able as an EDC. I had some reliability issues with it out of the box though - which Sig did fix and got it back to me all within 2 weeks - but it shoots very nice and is not overly heavy at all if that is what you are afraid of. It is one of my favorite range guns for sure and I do shoot it a lot, and since getting it back have not had so much as an issue of any sort. It has been 100% reliable since then. It still is in the back of my mind though, and that keeps it from replacing my Glock19 as my EDC.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links