S&W Model 19-3 - Page 2

S&W Model 19-3

This is a discussion on S&W Model 19-3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Helpful Hint: If anybody owns a vintage S&W wheelgun and the DA trigger pull is slightly gritty and rough...you can easily smooth it out at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: S&W Model 19-3

Administrator
    Helpful Hint:

If anybody owns a vintage S&W wheelgun and the DA trigger pull is slightly gritty and rough...you can easily smooth it out at home without doing any damage to your revolver.

Trigger grit and roughness is mostly all in the rebound slide.

You need to get a fine small diameter round stone. I always used a Dremel stone bur (just by holding it in needle nose vice grips)

I always used one of these small cylindrical Dremel abrasive stones to hand stone the inside of the rebound slide. But, NOT in the Dremel!
    Just hold the shaft with something like a "pin vise" and stone the interior by hand not by rotating Dremel tool!

> Stone the interior of the rebound slide with oil to remove the interior machine marks. Really get the the interior smooth.

> Machine polish the outside surface of the rebound spring. Don't over heat it when you polish it.

> Carefully deburr and lightly smooth the channel on the rebound slide that rides back and forth on the vertical post.

> Take a piece of ultra fine Silicon Carbide paper 1000 or 1500 GRIT - Use some spray adhesive to stick it down to any perfectly flat surface.

> LIGHTLY Polish the underside face of the rebound slide and the bottom that ride against the frame by rubbing those surfaces on the abrasive paper.
    Just polish those surfaces enough to get them smooth...don't overdo it.

> VERY lightly stone the top of the rebound slide just to eliminate any roughness...the top of the rebound slide is critical so you basically just want lightly knock off any burs that may be there. Do not change anything on the top of the slide.

> Check over the frame where the rebound slide runs and with a very fine square stone - carefully smooth any obviously rough areas and knock off any burs.

Really the MAJORITY of the gritty feeling in your DA trigger pull will be due to the rebound spring catching on machine marks INSIDE the rebound slide as the spring compresses and that post channel.

> In addition you can install a slightly lighter rebound spring. Just make sure that you buff it before you install it.

You really can do this job yourself.

Just don't over do anything and you will amazingly slick up your DA trigger pull.

Any rough imperfections with the rebound slide become greatly magnified during the rearward travel of the trigger.

Not the best web found pics but you will get the general idea from reading the above.

bmcgilvray and wmhawth like this.

Love the model 19 snubby

I greatly admire the model 19 snubby revolvers. I have two of them, a standard blue version and a matte black version made by the factory for several law enforcement customers, such as the Diplomatic Security Service of the US Dept. of State.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    This was a LGS owners carry piece for years...I just caught him on the right day with the right trade..
    Wow enjoy it before his remorse sets in and he is begging for it back.

VIP Member
    Nice! I love the Model 19!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I had a model 19 4" and a model 65 3" I regret letting them go. The folly of youth.

To further the cause of Smith & Wesson Model 19s and Model 66s and K-Frame .357 Magnums everywhere.

Nickel 4-inch Model 19

Stainless steel (of course) 2 1/2-inch Model 66. Shown with a blue 3-inch Model 13 which may just be the true "best" carry .357 Magnum of all time.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Picked up some S&W grips for ti off of Ebay ..I'll will post pic.s when my Image hosting site gets back up and running....I also put a few 148gr LWC down the range the other day..trigger breaks crisp..little to no recoil with the Wad-cutters..was able to rapid fire a few cylinders.....got alot of attention at the range.

the gun is fine carry piece ..someone paid a pretty penny for the custom work ..and I get to enjoy it...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I look forward to components coming available again so I can get into reloading. Can't wait to develop a wad cutter load for my J&k frames.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Glad you bagged a nice S&W19!

On my List! Wanted one ever since I was a kid, reading magazine articles penned by the old Border patrolman Bill Jordon.

different grips
    zonker1986 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice wheelies

Danville, Illinois PD trade-in Model 19-5 I picked up years ago for $200. Gun was a range only gun at a time when the Department was transitioning to
    Semi-Autos, so it was shot very little and is about 99%. I knew nothing about the gun at the time, other than it looked rather "imposing".

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    always looking to show off heres my 19-3,they are excellent revolvers,I added grips....these things kick !
    Not sure if I would ever bob off a hammer on any revolver but hey if it works for you thats all that matters - mines an ex officers back up gun circa 1970s

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3711/9...c8fc1681_b.jpg
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray and zonker1986 like this.

The 2 1/1-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame .357 Magnum does have kind of a kick to it.

It still minds it's manners better than a steel Smith & Wesson J-Frame .357 Magnum. And an Smith & Wesson Airweight or other similar lightweight .357 Magnum revolver? Gotta be pretty rowdy. I've not shot one and would love to try it. I doubt I'd be much interested in making one a concealed carry choice. Not with the kind of .357 Magnum ammunition I use. And, if full-powered .357 stuff won't be used then why have .357 Magnum capabilities. Just get a .38 Special lightweight snub and be done with it.

The 2 1/2-inch or 3-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame models are about as small as is practical for real .357 Magnum use but they may represent the very finest creation for .357 Magnum carry.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I prefer a k over a j any day. Other than pocket carry if I can carry a j frame I can carry a k frame. I shoot a k frame far better.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links