Affordable 9mm carry gun - Zastava M70A

This is a discussion on Affordable 9mm carry gun - Zastava M70A within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're a classic military gun buff like I am, this pistol will likely float your boat. If you're in the market for an affordable, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MilitaryArms
  • 1 Post By lionround

Thread: Affordable 9mm carry gun - Zastava M70A

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

If you're a classic military gun buff like I am, this pistol will likely float your boat. If you're in the market for an affordable, reliable, well made 9mm pistol that costs less than $290 for personal defense you might want to consider picking one of these handguns up and giving it a try.

I'm talking about the Zastava M70A Tokarev imported from Serbia by Century Arms.

Read a full review here: Zastava M70A Tokarev | The Bang Switch
    bmcgilvray and Christopher67 like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Just yesterday I was just looking at my brother-in-law's new acquisition, a 7.62 chambered Tok. Nice design and workmanship, reminiscent of the Colt 1903/1908 in appearance. One could do well with the same design in 9mm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Why such a low capacity on that gun?

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Why such a low capacity on that gun?
    It's a single stack pistol. 9 rounds should be ample ammo to defend yourself with. For 75 years American GI's relied on their 7 shot 1911's, long before the 8 round mags became a standard in the civilian world. :)

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I carried an Egyptian version for a few years. The best thing about them is that they are only about a 1/2" thick! For a full sized gun it just disapeared into the waist band. And was very comfortable to carry. Mine was very relieable, and accurate. The only down side is you will have to make or have custom made holsters for it. DR

Another great option would be a SCCY CPX-2 (or 1 if you want an external safety) for the same price +/-.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I dont buy that stuff about "you only need X number of rounds".

Im not saying you are wrong, or that I am right. But the more I see and read about shootings, the more I get behind more rounds available, not less.

Btw, I see that you have a military arms channel. Perhaps you could answer a question for me. I read about an US Army study that was to determine the average combat range for pistol. I seem to recall that the answer came back in INCHES. Repeat, INCHES. Around two (2) to three (3), inches, as I recall. The author who wrote the article I read, said that the range that the pistol was deployed indicated it was a last ditch weapon, or words to that effect.

If you know the study Im talking about, Id appreciate your giving me the correct answer. I dont like posting stuff unless Im sure about it, and just cant remember exactly how many inches it was.

One other thing; Thanks for posting about that pistol. From what I read, and others have posted, I gather its a quality pistol, at a very affordable prices. Those are hard to find, and Im thinking about adding one to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    It's a single stack pistol. 9 rounds should be ample ammo to defend yourself with. For 75 years American GI's relied on their 7 shot 1911's, long before the 8 round mags became a standard in the civilian world. :)

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Another great option would be a SCCY CPX-2 (or 1 if you want an external safety) for the same price +/-.
    +1. What he said. I have one and have been very happy with it.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Anyone interested in a Tokerev should take a look at what J&G has in stock. Price is good too. Scroll down a bit to see them in alphabetical order.

J&G Sales
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

If you like exotic pistols; a brand I have been looking at is the Canik 55. The Shark model looks wicked cool. J&G has them as well. Not the Shark but other models. Gunbroker has the Shark.

J&G Sales
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

I like the Tokarev design, and own several in 7.62x25, but as a carry weapon, they are not safe to carry with a round in the chamber. The original design had no true safety other than a half cock on the hammer, and the added safeties usually only block the trigger and do not prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin. If you are willing to adapt to this drawback and practice chambering a round rapidly, they are very reliable and accurate. Note: I am not familiar with the Zastava model specifically and they may have additional safety features that I am not aware of, although it does not appear likely from the photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by nechaev View Post
    I like the Tokarev design, and own several in 7.62x25, but as a carry weapon, they are not safe to carry with a round in the chamber. The original design had no true safety other than a half cock on the hammer, and the added safeties usually only block the trigger and do not prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin. If you are willing to adapt to this drawback and practice chambering a round rapidly, they are very reliable and accurate. Note: I am not familiar with the Zastava model specifically and they may have additional safety features that I am not aware of, although it does not appear likely from the photographs.
    The M70A's safety blocks the firing pin when engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I dont buy that stuff about "you only need X number of rounds".

Im not saying you are wrong, or that I am right. But the more I see and read about shootings, the more I get behind more rounds available, not less.

Btw, I see that you have a military arms channel. Perhaps you could answer a question for me. I read about an US Army study that was to determine the average combat range for pistol. I seem to recall that the answer came back in INCHES. Repeat, INCHES. Around two (2) to three (3), inches, as I recall. The author who wrote the article I read, said that the range that the pistol was deployed indicated it was a last ditch weapon, or words to that effect.

If you know the study Im talking about, Id appreciate your giving me the correct answer. I dont like posting stuff unless Im sure about it, and just cant remember exactly how many inches it was.

One other thing; Thanks for posting about that pistol. From what I read, and others have posted, I gather its a quality pistol, at a very affordable prices. Those are hard to find, and Im thinking about adding one to my collection.
    I've not ready the report, however I would agree a rifle is preferable to a handgun. However, it's not practical for most people to carry a rifle with them daily for personal defense, so we carry handguns.

Yes, more ammo is better than less. I don't buy into the averages used to justify reduced capacity handguns. That's why I carry autos vs. revolvers and with them spare magazines.

A study done by the US army about average combat distance for a handgun would be of limited use for most civilians. A soldier will engage a threat with a rifle if at all possible, leaving his (or her) pistol as a backup - so the pistol will probably stay in the holster except for situations where a rifle can't be used.

I don't carry my rifle anywhere near as often as I did when I was a soldier, which means that I'll use a different decision-making process when it comes time to engage a threat.

I bought one from my LGS.

Well-made and shot just fine. My only criticism was the normal, Tokarev-style heavy trigger which i was already expecting from reading reviews on the gun.

I already had an older Romanian Tokarev in 7.62 x 25. It was cool to get a nice, brand new Tok in 9mm.

m701n.jpg

Links