Pocket carry: revolver or semi?

This is a discussion on Pocket carry: revolver or semi? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who pocket carry, do you carry a revolver or a semi? Why did you choose the firearm you chose? Thinking about my deep ...

View Poll Results: Do you pocket carry a revolver or semi?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revolver

47 42.73%
  • Semi

63 57.27%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pocket carry: revolver or semi?

Pocket carry: revolver or semi?

For those who pocket carry, do you carry a revolver or a semi? Why did you choose the firearm you chose?

Thinking about my deep concealment options and am just looking to see what's out there.

Pictures welcome!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    LCR 357 it's light and I can draw it fast from the pocket

You'll find that this discussion is a very common one.

Most likely, you'll want to have both options. You many want to carry a high capacity single stack or a double stack auto, or a revolver, when you feel like it. The autos will offer differing degrees of concealment and carryability, and the revolver (usually a snubbie) will offer reliability. It's not a matter of choosing one platform - you can have them all.
    rammerjammer, Tzadik and candalos like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Revolver. I find the curvature and lack of a back end of a slide housing the hammer/striker parts facilitates a better fit in the pocket for me.
    Richard58 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I've been lovin' the Colt Detective Special for pocket carry for a few years now. It's a really neat size. While it's nearly as compact as any 5-shot model it holds 6 shots. I can get a better grasp on the Detective Special, especially equipped with an ugly ol' Tyler T-Grip, than I can a J-Frame unless that J-Frame is wearing some sort of bulky aftermarket or rubber stocks. I don't want bulk when I wish to carry a small snub and I dislike the rubber stocks popularly provided.

The Detective Special rides in a De Santis Nemesis holster. If the insides of this holster are kept clean it doesn't seem to wear the blue finish much.

maxwell97 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

.642 image.jpg
    Richard58 likes this.

I like Revolvers because you can make a contact shot without the worry of pushing the Slide out of battery. Also if you don't have the proper grip you don't have to wory about a possible jam. I have herd of people ejecting the mag from the gun by accident in the pocket. Revolvers have downfalls also. I don't buy the limited ammo crap because I carry Two Snubs and reloads. What ever you are comfortable with, more people carry Semi Autos.

I carry both. LCP and LCR. I favor the LCR because it's 5 sure shots of .38 special vs 6+1 of maybe pew-pew .380 auto. But the LCP hides under anything. It's the only reason I still own that pea shooter.
    tcox4freedom and fredg53 like this.

This is awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. How about someone who carries like a little .380 auto or something, any of you out there? I am leaning revolver, but I'd like to hear opinions from the semi crowd because for pocket carry, capacity is so close... 5 vs 7 rounds or 6 vs 8, it seems very trivial, so is it just familiarity with the platform? Maybe you carry a 9mm in your pocket and one on the hip and want to keep the caliber the same? I'd like to hear reasons.

EDIT: just read DetChris's post, that makes sense. Semis are flatter/thinner.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Revolver because it is cooler, and I'm all about being cool. LOL

I do think they are cooler, but for close quarters I really think they're more reliable.

People will chafe at the idea of the lower capacity option, but with real force on force, the semi can be easily disabled. BG grabs the slide while you get off the first shot and you won't likely get another.

Revolver from inside a jacket pocket.... 5 rounds of 357.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by crusade View Post
    This is awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. How about someone who carries like a little .380 auto or something, any of you out there? I am leaning revolver, but I'd like to hear opinions from the semi crowd because for pocket carry, capacity is so close... 5 vs 7 rounds or 6 vs 8, it seems very trivial, so is it just familiarity with the platform? Maybe you carry a 9mm in your pocket and one on the hip and want to keep the caliber the same? I'd like to hear reasons.

EDIT: just read DetChris's post, that makes sense. Semis are flatter/thinner.

I have had a Kel Tec P3AT since 2005. Have even carried the wretched thing on occasion, also in a Nemesis holster or occasionally behind my wallet. I'm under no illusions that the .380 ACP is equal to the .38 Special, don't like the double-action-only trigger on the P3AT at all, and feel the revolver is the more reliable handgun.

DetChris likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I pocket carry a Ruger SP 101 2" Hammerless. Because of weight it prints more in some pants than lighter weight guns like the LCR or S&W 643-3.

My .38 WILL go bang bang bang bang bang.

My .380 will go bang, then it MIGHT go bang bang bang bang bang bang.

I prefer to carry the LCP because it's so slim and light. But I have more confidence in the 638 under duress.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've been lovin' the Colt Detective Special for pocket carry for a few years now. It's a really neat size. While it's nearly as compact as any 5-shot model it holds 6 shots. I can get a better grasp on the Detective Special, especially equipped with an ugly ol' Tyler T-Grip, than I can a J-Frame unless that J-Frame is wearing some sort of bulky aftermarket or rubber stocks. I don't want bulk when I wish to carry a small snub and I dislike the rubber stocks popularly provided.

The Detective Special rides in a De Santis Nemesis holster. If the insides of this holster are kept clean it doesn't seem to wear the blue finish much.

Darned shame they stopped making those. And Pythons.
    BigJon10125 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

A quote copied from the earlier post of a wise man I deeply respect (hint: myself!)

Advantages of a snub-nose:

1.. Ammo variability becomes essentially a non-issue, because the ammo is not a functional part of the feeding mechanism.
    2. More powerful rounds for the same size and weight.
    3. Impossible to limp-wrist, regardless of injury, firing from unusual positions, etc.
    4. Can be fired from inside a coat pocket without jamming.
    5. In a muzzle-contact shot, cannot be knocked out of battery.
    6. In a muzzle-contact shot, much less likely to jam due to blood entering the weapon.
    7. No magazine to be accidentally released.
    8. Can obtain a higher grip for less muzzle flip, due to the lack of a slide.
    mgillitzer likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links