For those with a SW Shield.......

This is a discussion on For those with a SW Shield....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone, I disassemble my 40 Shield and when I put the slide end cap back on, it snapped into place and seems to have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: For those with a SW Shield.......

Hi Everyone,

I disassemble my 40 Shield and when I put the slide end cap back on, it snapped into place and seems to have locked on the nylon striker housing. There is some vertical play in the slide end plate, however. Is this normal? Thank you!

My shield has been fully disassembled a few times, I just checked and the cover plate is pretty solid. If I press hard, It will tilt just a mm or so but other than that it is very secure.

From what I have seen that plate is usually fitted in there pretty tight, take a picture if you can and Il post a picture for you to compare ..

This is as far downward it will slide with marginal pressure applied to it with my thumb, as you can see there really is no space for it to move horizontally, very fitted.
    SCP.jpg

The plastic sleeve from the striker is what holds it in place. Mine has very slight movement with the slide off and none with the slide on.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

the back of my gun looks like yours. Seems normal.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    The plastic sleeve from the striker is what holds it in place. Mine has very slight movement with the slide off and none with the slide on.
    Thank you for all of the replies! With the slide off (and the firing pin block removed), the slide cover plate moves roughly 1 mm on the vertical plane. Will this movement stop when fully assembled? I am in the process of installing the Apex sear and USB, so this is where I discovered the "loose" backing.

Is it necessary to remove it for cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Is it necessary to remove it for cleaning
    Nope, just for the install of the trigger kit. I don't recall it moving when I took it apart, but then again, you know how things seem exaggerated once you do your own work!

20130626_171529.jpg

Here is a picture

Can this plastic sleeve be inserted incorrectly? Do you feel that it may have had vertical "jiggle" because the slide was off with the striker block removed? When it is all together it tightens up a tad...
    Last edited by skystud1; June 26th, 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Not sure if the striker assembly is installed in that last picture but the striker assembly pushes back on that slide cover plate and the tension holds it in place. You will know if the sleeve is installed wrong immediately, If you have the " know how" to install the apex parts, you wont have a problem reassembling the pistol.

I really love how easy the M&P and Glock platforms are, By the way .. not sure what kit you have but if you are installing the apex provided trigger spring buy a set of cheap metal picks to pull the spring ring on to the trigger pin, It helps tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    Not sure if the striker assembly is installed in that last picture but the striker assembly pushes back on that slide cover plate and the tension holds it in place. You will know if the sleeve is installed wrong immediately, If you have the " know how" to install the apex parts, you wont have a problem reassembling the pistol.

I really love how easy the M&P and Glock platforms are, By the way .. not sure what kit you have but if you are installing the apex provided trigger spring buy a set of cheap metal picks to pull the spring ring on to the trigger pin, It helps tremendously
    Thankfully I have a set of dental picks. For the sear spring and plunger, would you replace it with the Apex kit? I hear it's a pain to put back in.

Here is my slide issue. The end cap does lock onto place on the nylon striker assembly. The end cap has plenty of play despite locking. I did note that it appears the plastic covering the end cap may be too short to fill the slide. The metal tabs that hold the end cap in place are slotted correctly, so I hope it's okay.

Yes, dental picks would be perfect !

The sear spring and plunger in the apex kit was too long too fit properly for me, I ended up using the apex sear spring with the stock sear plunger.

*With the slide removed from the frame Make sure the striker block is moving freely and activating correctly, obviously the firing pin should NOT be able to move forward unless the safety block is Depressed. Assemble the shield, Make sure the gun is empty and cycle the slide a few times. Cock the gun and take a pencil and stick the eraser end down the barrel as far as it will go , Pull the trigger and the pencil should jump slightly when the firing pin strikes the eraser. If the striker cover plate is still in place and doing its job by now I would say you are ready to go test fire.

Yes, dental picks would be perfect !

The sear spring and plunger in the apex kit was too long too fit properly for me, I ended up using the apex sear spring with the stock sear plunger.

*With the slide removed from the frame Make sure the striker block is moving freely and activating correctly, obviously the firing pin should NOT be able to move forward unless the safety block is Depressed. Assemble the shield, Make sure the gun is empty and cycle the slide a few times. Cock the gun and take a pencil and stick the eraser end down the barrel as far as it will go , Pull the trigger and the pencil should jump slightly when the firing pin strikes the eraser. If the striker cover plate is still in place and doing its job by now I would say you are ready to go test fire.
    Hi Sap03,

Thanks for the detailed advice. I think my end cap dilemma is just the fact that the top of the plastic is a tad short. I appreciate the Apex heads up as well. Can you tell the difference with the new kit?

My stock trigger was on the heavy gritty side, all the people that were bragging about the stock shield trigger must have got better guns out of the box than me. I had problems with my shield and had to send it back to sw and I really think the biggest reason I gave the gun a second chance and kept it was the APEX carry kit I had installed. I absolutely love my shield with the apex kit, no 2 ways about it. I also like how the apex parts really cant interfere with the reliability of the pistol like some after market parts can IMO...They are such simple, well built parts.

I think you will like it

My stock trigger was on the heavy gritty side, all the people that were bragging about the stock shield trigger must have got better guns out of the box than me. I had problems with my shield and had to send it back to sw and I really think the biggest reason I gave the gun a second chance and kept it was the APEX carry kit I had installed. I absolutely love my shield with the apex kit, no 2 ways about it. I also like how the apex parts really cant interfere with the reliability of the pistol like some after market parts can IMO...They are such simple, well built parts.

I think you will like it
    Nice! Has the Shield been reliable for ya? I have one that was born in May of 2013. Night sights in the mail as we speak...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links