New EDC is an XDm 3.8 in .45

This is a discussion on New EDC is an XDm 3.8 in .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; bought this beauty on Friday and finally made it to the range yesterday. 100 trigger pulls, 100 loud bangs. shot Atlanta Arms FMJ and some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New EDC is an XDm 3.8 in .45

bought this beauty on Friday and finally made it to the range yesterday. 100 trigger pulls, 100 loud bangs. shot Atlanta Arms FMJ and some Remington UMC white box that i found on sale at Wally World. it is far more accurate than i am, and the felt recoil is about the same as my PX4Storm 9mm subcompact. i actually preferred shooting with the 9 round magazine instead of the extended 13 round, and i have large hands. lots of pretty but unusable stuff in the box. with my new Remora RFT this pistol actually conceals better than the Beretta in AIWB. i think the no-give of the reinforced top helps to push the grip against my torso. trigger still a little stiff but after another 300 rounds should be just right. easy takedown and cleaning. all in all, very pleased and will be my daily companion.
    20130621_180759.jpg
    BadgerJ likes this.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Congrats. 'Hope it serves you well.

Nice and congrats. I'm thinking about getting the XDm .40.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    bought this beauty on Friday and finally made it to the range yesterday. 100 trigger pulls, 100 loud bangs. shot Atlanta Arms FMJ and some Remington UMC white box that i found on sale at Wally World. it is far more accurate than i am, and the felt recoil is about the same as my PX4Storm 9mm subcompact. i actually preferred shooting with the 9 round magazine instead of the extended 13 round, and i have large hands. lots of pretty but unusable stuff in the box. with my new Remora RFT this pistol actually conceals better than the Beretta in AIWB. i think the no-give of the reinforced top helps to push the grip against my torso. trigger still a little stiff but after another 300 rounds should be just right. easy takedown and cleaning. all in all, very pleased and will be my daily companion.
    20130621_180759.jpg
    UMC white box? All I've ever seen is the yellow or green/white boxes for UMC.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice. Keep us updated.

What are the two humps located in the case below the holster? Magazine extensions? Backstraps?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    How's the recoil? What did you pay?

My girlfriend and I are going to the gunshow this weekend and we'll be looking at the M&P Shield (MSRP $450-ish), the new XDS 9mm (MSRP $485 at BUDS), and some others for my new EDC.

I'd like to get the Shield with nightsights and two mags, or maybe three, two with a grip extension.

Glad you like it.

Glad to hear you like it! I have considered that a viable option as a BUG to a 1911. I like that the XD's come with lots of gear, but I have not used much of it (have an XD40). Wonder if the cost would come down without some of that stuff.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The UMC came in a yellow 250 round megapack box. The individual boxes inside are white.
    the objects below the holster in the photo are grip extension sleeves that slide down over the 13 round magazine. The pistol comes with three backstraps and three matching extension sleeves.
    Recoil is quite manageable for a compact. It is a .45 so there's definitely some kick, but overall its comfortable to shoot. After 100 rounds I had a nice imprint of the backstrap on my palm, but no soreness at all. Trigger is very nice with very short takeup and reset and I expect it to just get better and better. There's an aftermarket pinky extension baseplate available for the short magazine but I really don't feel the need.
    DJC7 likes this.

What is your ammo of choice when you carry your XDm?
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Glad to hear you like it! I have considered that a viable option as a BUG to a 1911. I like that the XD's come with lots of gear, but I have not used much of it (have an XD40). Wonder if the cost would come down without some of that stuff.
    Be aware that you can get the XD in the big case with lots of (sort of useless) plastic stuff and in a smaller case with just the essentials (3 mags, loader) for about $50-80 less. We saw the small case at the last gunshow and saved about that much (the XD(m) 9mm Subc.).

Have the same pistol, Love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoy your purchase! I know you will!
    I probably only have 300+/- down the barrel of mine so far w/o any hiccups just a pleasure to shoot! I am surprised to see you say you prefer to shoot w/ 9rd mag opposed to the 13 rd (with your large hands). I found that the 9rd mag was a little awkward to hold w/ my pinkie going under the mag.
    Simple fix.. PIERCE GRIP EXTENSION. I bought the 5/8th one that does not add capacity. I have seen that they have one that adds +1 capacity to your 9rd mag.
    The pattern on the grip extension does not match the XDm but it is hard to notice. I will try to get you a picture!

Thanks, Fail_187, I just ordered one yesterday, cant wait to give it a try.

Here ya go!
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links