What's the best $700 1911 ?

This is a discussion on What's the best $700 1911 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering putting the purchase on a low-medium range 1911 for carry. I'm sure there are a ton of options at this price range, all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What's the best $700 1911 ?

I'm considering putting the purchase on a low-medium range 1911 for carry. I'm sure there are a ton of options at this price range, all I really want is a good dependable weapon that will do a good job of digesting self defense ammo.

I'm considering a STI Spartan IV, since they're a Texas company. Any thoughts?

Sig or para should do the trick, you could always keep your eye open for a used commander sti is a great gun but a little more than 700

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I'm considering putting the purchase on a low-medium range 1911 for carry. I'm sure there are a ton of options at this price range, all I really want is a good dependable weapon that will do a good job of digesting self defense ammo.

I'm considering a STI Spartan IV, since they're a Texas company. Any thoughts?

Are you okay with carrying a full size, or would you prefer a Commander/Officer? If a full size is okay, it would be extremely hard to beat a Springfield Range Officer. If you're wanting a commander, Para would likely do you proud but if it were me, I'd save another $100 and buy a Ruger SR Commander. For Officers, you're going to be looking at an RIA Tactical or Citadel more than likely. I've had no trouble (minus some FTF from the stock ACT Mags on JHPs) with my Citadel Compact and it's my EDC now.

It's definitely going to have to be a commander size!

I don't have either but would look at the Ruger SR or the Springfield R.O.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

I have the Ruger SR1911. Accurate out of the box, zero issues. Best $700 I spent.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
    WINTEJER000 likes this.

TxTchRR: Are you okay with carrying a full size, or would you prefer a Commander/Officer? If a full size is okay, it would be extremely hard to beat a Springfield Range Officer. If you're wanting a commander, Para would likely do you proud but if it were me, I'd save another $100 and buy a Ruger SR Commander. For Officers, you're going to be looking at an RIA Tactical or Citadel more than likely. I've had no trouble (minus some FTF from the stock ACT Mags on JHPs) with my Citadel Compact and it's my EDC now.

+1 on the RIA, Citadel.

I have had several RIA's. Do a little work to them (night sights, some polishing here and there, etc.), get some good magazines, and you should be good to go... you might even come under budget, if you play your cards right .
    Aceoky likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

Sr1911
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I've got a Kimber myself, but I have a friend who swears by his Rock Island Armory.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Mil spec Springfield armory
    tmoore912, glockman10mm and varob like this.

Going to hijack this thread:

With regards to the Ruger SR1911CMD...is this small enough to CC "decently"?. I've honestly never been a fan of stainless firearms but damn this thing looks fantastic!

One of the favorite tag lines I have seen on a gun forum, went like this; "I used to envy the man who had a 1911...until I met one."

Gen 3 Glock 19, in 9mm. Have a nice day.

STI has a great product line and put out some nice 1911s. The Spartan IV should do you fine. I prefer bushings on my 1911s, but it is what it is.

The Springfield Mil-Spec is a Government size, but a great platform to improve upon later on if you want to.

Be wary of 1911s models with Bomar/ Target style rear sights for a carry 1911. They really dig into you and catch on clothing when worn IWB. There are several options now for replacing those types of sights, but it will be another expense ($100+).

Good luck with your choice.

Crafted with classic 1911 design, the STI International Spartan IV is a traditional commander sized 1911 pistol with high-end standards at an affordable price. The slide features traditional 1911 styling with rear cocking serrations, and the barrel is a 4.26” match grade bull barrel. Comes standard with an STI square hammer, patented STI trigger system, and STI sear and disconnector for smooth, reliable function.

The Spartan IV has a Parkerized finish.

Specifications

MSRP $725.00
    Calibers 9×19, .45 ACP
    Frame 1911 Commander Steel Frame
    Bald Front Strap
    Grips Hand checkered double diamond
    Mahogany Grip Panels
    Slide Classic w/ Rear Cocking Serrations
    Trigger STI Long Curved Trigger
    Barrel 4.26” Chromed Non-Ramped Bull Barrel
    Safeties STI High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety
    Single Sided Thumb Safety
    Guide Rod One Piece Full Length Steel
    Sights Competition Front
    Fixed Rear
    Overall Length 8.01”
    Weight 9×19= 35.6 oz (1009.35g)
    Finish Parkerized
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post

With regards to the Ruger SR1911CMD...is this small enough to CC "decently"?. I've honestly never been a fan of stainless firearms but damn this thing looks fantastic!
    I have CC'd my 5" comfortably and discreetly. The key is a good belt and holster combination.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
    andrewcdub likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post

It should carry just fine given a decent belt/holster. I carry my Colt 1991 Commander every now and then with zero issues. Then again, I've never carried a plastic and probably never will so I don't really have any weight bias.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links