G-19 bullet stuck in barrel Please help!!!!!

This is a discussion on G-19 bullet stuck in barrel Please help!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok its not mine its my brother in laws G-19 problem. we went shooting today and he was shooting crappy wolf ammo well there was ...

Thread: G-19 bullet stuck in barrel Please help!!!!!

ok its not mine its my brother in laws G-19 problem. we went shooting today and he was shooting crappy wolf ammo well there was no powder in the casing and the bullet is stuck in the barrel. What is the best way to get it out? i'm very good with guns i told him not to use that crappy ammo but i guess he will learn now. but the gunsmith said to use a dowel rod to get it out. Anyone else have any ideas? i know this has happened to someone before Thanks for the help guys

VIP Member
    With the muzzle on the table or some other flat surface, perhaps covered with a towel:

- insert a one-piece cleaning rod (preferrably not a cheap aluminium one either...it could bend in the barrel),
    - tap the bullet out from the breech by lightly tapping the end of the cleaning rod with a rubber or regular mallet or hammer until the bullet is peeking out the muzzle end,
    - lift the barrel ever so slightly off the table to allow one last tap of the hammer to dislodge the bullet and let it drop free of the barrel.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    field strip it , get a wood dowell that will fit down the tube , drive the slug out from the chamber end , you or a gunsmith re crown it if needed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Don't sweat it, easy fix. Wood or bronze dowel and tap out from breach end. Happens to the best of us. Some but not all Wolff ammo is garbage.

the bullet is just out of the breach in just a little bit into the barrel. should i knock it so it comes out the breach in or the end of the barrel????? Gunsmith said try to knock it out to it comes out the breach

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    field strip it , get a wood dowell that will fit down the tube , drive the slug out from the chamber end , you or a gunsmith re crown it if needed .
    ok heres a stupid question what is re crown and how do you know it needs it... Thanks guys for the help

VIP Member
    ...if the bullet is just inside the breech end, then sure, tap it out from the muzzle side, just be careful if you use a metal cleaning rod or you will need a recrowning of the muzzle....better to use a nylon/polymer-coated rod (like some by Tipton or Dewey)....or use a wooden dowel as suggested by wags or RR.

The end of the inside portion of the muzzle (where the lands and grooves end and the circumference around it is the crown of the barrel. A "recrown" is when a gunsmith cuts a new crown since that section of the barrel is last part of the barrel the bullet will traverse on its way to the target...so it's a critical section of the barrel and why everyone suggests you clean from the breech and not muzzle/crown end as not to damage the crown with nicks or cleaning rod wear.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

ok thanks guys i will do it tomorrow and tell ya guys how it worked out.... Happy Thanksgiving

Assistant Administrator
    It is well worth keeping in the range kit some hard wood dowels for this purpose. 5/16" for 9mm and .38, 7/16" for .45. 3/8" should serve for .40.

.44 would have to make do with the 3/8" but should still serve as the slight bend it wants to form is contained by barrel walls.

Just a 8" or so length of each - means a quick chance of remedying the problem at the range for most handguns.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I used my alum . cleaning rod to tap out stuck rounds in my .40 before. As long you go slow it should be o.k. a wooden dowel would be better though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Also something to remember. If you still have the box the ammo came from, call Wolf let the know so they can pull the lot number. If it cost you your barrel, they will more then likely replace it. Keep the ammo box though as they need the lot number off of it.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

well hopefully that it doesn't cost him his barrel i will have to wait until tomorrow to find out. but i believe that the wolf ammo was older maybe 2years old he doesn't shoot a lot and i keep trying to get him to shoot more so hopefully the bullet will come out and nothing is hurt... Thanks for the Advice

get a wood dowell and knock it out. go toward the short end. it will not take much effort and take your time.

Sponsored Links