My wife's new Bersa Thunder .380!

This is a discussion on My wife's new Bersa Thunder .380! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife and I went to the LGS Monday to buy her the Bersa Thunder .380 and we were able to pick it up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: My wife's new Bersa Thunder .380!

Well, my wife and I went to the LGS Monday to buy her the Bersa Thunder .380 and we were able to pick it up today. Actually, she went with our 3 year old because I had to work. I was excited to get off of work today to come home and check it out. Below are my first impressions:

Likes...
    - Seems like a really well built, solid gun for being relatively inexpensive. Paid $350 which I think is a little high compared to what I've seen other places but I really like this LGS and like to support them when I can. Also, if this thing performs the way I've read then it'll still be a steal in my eyes!
    - Fits my hand perfectly. I've never held a gun that pointed so naturally. The first time I aimed at the light switch on the wall (after clearing the pistol and then clearing it again) it was right on target. Every time I aim at something it is dead on or very close to it.
    - This should be pretty easy for my wife to conceal when we're legally able to do so. It's not too big and it's not too small. I'd say I have small to medium sized hands and can get all three fingers on the grip with the magazine in.

Dislikes...
    - It's a .380. I'd prefer if my wife had wanted a bit larger caliber. But, I wanted her to get something that she liked and would be more likely to actually shoot regularly so I didn't push it.
    - The capacity isn't quite what I would like, but that's the trade off of having a smaller, more concealable gun.
    - I'm not a fan of the trigger. It's heavy, long and not the smoothest trigger. You also have to let it all the way out to reset so it's probably going to take some training to get proficient with rapid fire.
    - It has a manual safety.
    - It has a magazine safety.
    - It has an internal locking system.
    - I'm used to shooting my P95 and when I hold the Bersa the same way my support hand thumb naturally rests against the side or bottom edge of the slide. So, that will take some getting used to.

I know my dislike list is longer than my likes but overall I really like this pistol and can't wait to take it for a spin on Saturday! If it performs anything like what I've read my wife is going to have to fight me off from stealing it!

Here are some quick pics. Sorry for the quality but I took them on my iPad. (My apologies. I have no idea why they are posting upside down.)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Phaedrus likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have one of those, nice lil guns. That mag safety can be removed in about 5 mins I looked on youtube and found a vid to show me how, the trigger will smooth out with use, the safethy I don't use(just as a decocker) and make sure it likes ur carry ammo, mine likes critical defense......enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post

Here are some quick pics. Sorry for the quality but I took them on my iPad. (My apologies. I have no idea why they are posting upside down.)
    Nice piece! My brother has a similar one, sweet-shooting.

The pictures are like that because Bersas come from Argentina. South of the Equator, everything is upside down.
    DJC7, niks and Phaedrus like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

I absolutely loved the two I had and will soon be buying another one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Congrats! Bersa makes some sweet little guns. I share your reservations about the .380 ACP cartridge but it can be effective with good ammo, and of course good training. A smaller caliber that she's actually shoot is better than a .45 ACP that she won't use. And who knows, maybe she'll eventually want to step up to something more potent. Bersa guns can be a "gateway drug" sometimes!
    BadgerJ and DJC7 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Congrats! As long she is okay with it, it pretty cool looking, I can't even get mine wife to get one.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

VIP Member
    I have a Thunder380 dual tone. While seldom carried, it fills a notch in my rotation. As mentioned, the trigger will smooth out with shooting. I am not a fan of the safety on it, but I do use the decocker function though. Get the wife to the range with it and lets hear a report.

No offense meant by this DJC7, but it is your wifes gun. Would really like to hear her impression and opinion on it. After all, she's the one that needs to like and feel comfortable with it.
    BadgerJ, DJC7 and MrsHB like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have 2 Bersas, Thunder 380 CC and Thunder 9 ultra compact. They are outstanding firearms!!! Well built and reliable. Not the smallest or lightest, but the size and weight help with shootability (fit in hand and recoil).

The Thunder 380 CC is a little more compact and rounded off, and holds 8+1. They are shockingly accurate guns, but part of the reason is the barrel is affixed to the frame, much like a target 22. With the ammo shortage, the only 380 I've been able to find is FMJ, so that's what I've been shooting and carrying in mine. I don't use the internal lock nor safety, just de-cock and disengage safety. The trigger will smooth out. As for the mag disconnect, on the 380CC I simply removed the grip panels and pried out the C spring that pushes the transfer bar down. Took 30 seconds and functions perfectly. I bought this one used off of gunbroker before the crap hit the fan and got a steal on it for an all nickel finish.

The Thunder 9 uc is a double stack 13+1 about the same size as a XD sub compact. A little heavy but it has an alloy metal frame, long slide rails, and thick steel mechanisms. I've tried my best to get that gun to malf (attempted limp wrist) and it won't. It does not have a fixed barrel. All in all, an outstanding firearm.

I can't wait for a range report and yours and your wife's impressions of recoil and accuracy. I think you will both become Bersa fans real quick and may find more than one in your future.
    Attached Images
    DJC7 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I was looking at a Bursa Thunder back in the early 2000s, and glad I didn't get it. At the time it was difficult to get a CHL where I lived (the instructor for the safety class wouldn't call me back, I kept trying and it was a pain in the rear).

Sights aren't that good, slide mounted safety, mag safety, lousy trigger, but hey, it's a 'g-u-n', or a gun-shaped-object. (sorry, I kid). I hear the accuracy is good.

I agree with the other posters. We don't care what you think, or if it fits your hand (LOL). Let's hear what your wife thinks. Kudos on getting her started.

I think you paid about $100 too much for a used gun, with one (1) magazine, btw. Keep going, get your permit(s) and stay safe!

Edit to add: Reading other posts, I think you actually got a good deal as to quality, since the exchange rate is not bad - bang for the buck. Again, it's all about what gets you guys started. Three thumbs up! :)

The reason it has all those locks and safeties is so that they can score enough points to be imported.. without them, they'd never be let into the country.

I have a Thunder 9 UC like BugDude's.. fantastically reliable and ergonomic pistol. Especially for the price; WHICH by the way is because of the incredible for us exchange rate to Argentinian currency, and nothing to do with "being cheap."
    BadgerJ and DJC7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    No offense meant by this DJC7, but it is your wifes gun. Would really like to hear her impression and opinion on it. After all, she's the one that needs to like and feel comfortable with it.
    Understood! She's really pretty inexperienced with guns and until very recently wasn't really interested at all. So, she doesn't have much of an opinion yet. She did say it feels really good in her hands (she has tiny hands). Also, the slide was difficult for her to rack but I'm sure that will get easier as she breaks it in and works on her racking technique. About the only other thing she has said is that it's "cute".

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I think you paid about $100 too much for a used gun, with one (1) magazine, btw. Keep going, get your permit(s) and stay safe!

Edit to add: Reading other posts, I think you actually got a good deal as to quality, since the exchange rate is not bad - bang for the buck. Again, it's all about what gets you guys started. Three thumbs up! :)
    It is NIB, not used. I agree I overpaid, but won't feel bad about it if it performs as well as advertised!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Bought one for my wife too. But I paid $199 + tax. They're good little pistols. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Bought one for my wife too. But I paid $199 + tax. They're good little pistols. Enjoy.
    Ouch! That makes me feel a little bad about what we paid. lol When did you get it? Please say before the craziness started.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

The first gun my wife picked out for herself was a Bersa Firestorm .380. The craftsmanship is horrendous! When you work the slide it sounds like a zipper and the machining is 3rd-rate at best (I've cut myself on sharp edges when cleaning the gun). But somehow, someway, that is one of the best little guns I've ever fired! Fits the hand perfectly, recoil is straight up & mild, shoots all-day & into the night, and you can drive tacks with it. The only problem we've had is that it hates limp-wristing (which my wife was prone to at first) and will have a FTE every time you do.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member
    I have 3 Bersas. Two 380 thunders and a 45 uc pro. They are all great guns. Never had a failure out of any of them. You're going to love this gun. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links