Looking for opinions... a CCW for jogging

This is a discussion on Looking for opinions... a CCW for jogging within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently carrying a full-size 1911. No complaints about the pistol for every day use, but it does leave a glaring gap for carry when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for opinions... a CCW for jogging

Looking for opinions... a CCW for jogging

I'm currently carrying a full-size 1911. No complaints about the pistol for every day use, but it does leave a glaring gap for carry when going out for a run... an almost-three-pound-gun (weighs in at 46 oz when loaded) does not make for a nice companion. So I'm looking for something to fill the gap that can be tucked in a Remora or similar lightweight waistband-clipped holster
    Criteria:
    lightweight,
    not so small that I can't get three fingers on the grip (ie pinky hanging off the bottom is a pet peeve) - that's why the LCP isn't on the list. Think mini, not micro
    decent capacity,
    preferably 9mm or 40 S&W (380 is an option, though),
    and <$500.

Through personal preferences and market research, I've narrowed my list down to the following:

- Bersa Thunder 380: cost effective, roughly 22-23 oz loaded, feels pretty good in my hand, however, only chambered for 380 (not ideal, but better than a sharp stick when running), and metal frame may be prone to rust from sweat (one of the things I have to watch with the 1911). I've heard great things about the gun, and it does have a certain amount of sex appeal... I find myself leaning toward this one due to the weight and positive experience I've heard.

- Glock 19/23: heavier at 30-31 oz when loaded, has rail for light (a plus), polymer frame, so lighter for the size and less prone to sweat, ultra-reliable, I used to carry a 17 so I'm comfortable with and like the platform, may be a bit wide for what I'm looking for. More expensive, but I qualify for Blue Label pricing which drops it below the $500 mark.

Glock 26/27: smaller than the 19/23 (should be around 26 oz or so loaded), however, adding a grip extension is a must for me. Shooting a 26 with pinky hanging off is exactly what convinced me that I need all three on the grip. So with the same width, almost the same weight, price, similar grip length... is the juice worth the sqeeze vs the 19/23?

- M&P 9/40c: fired both fullsize and compact... I like them, and they're very similar to the Glock (similar to the 19 in both size and wieght with the extended grip). Only discriminator will likely be price and availability vs. Glock between the two products.

- Shield: Definitely an option... if you can find one. Not sure what the loaded weight is, may need a grip extension for it, but would almost certainly win hands down if I could get my paws on one. Lower capacity, but seems like a good balance of caliber, capacity, trigger, thickness, etc. The only negativity I've heard about them is the availability.

- LC9: heard some good/bad. A lot of direct comparisons to the Glock 26 favor the 26, and while they're pretty accurate for a mini-9, quite a few people have said that shooting them is less than fun... It's in the running, but in a push, I'd probably go to either a 26 or the Bersa.

Kahr CW/CM9/40 and the Kel-Tec PF9 are in the running, but whenever I consider them, I usually end up gravitating back toward the above firearms...

Soooo the big questions for those who jog w/ CCW... what do you carry? What would you consider to be the max weight and /or dimensions for doing so? (Max weight is my biggest concern - going from a 46 oz 1911 to even a 31 oz G23 might be nice initially, but that may wear off... what's your no-$@#$ I wouldn't carry anything heavier than xx line?) Method of carry? Any issues from sweat when carrying? Not really looking for recommendations on a specific pistol as the weight and dimensional limits you've experienced.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry by Glock 23 when I run. Yeah, it is extra weight, but that just adds to the workout I suppose. I bought a Glock 27 for this exact purpose but the thing is too small for me to like. (I'd rather carry a PF9 the thin nature of the grip area makes the short length more manageable to me anyway.)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    NAA Pug 22mag. Load it with shot shells while you're running.

I'd prefer revolvers for smaller guns. I like the LCR, but if you have to get that pinky on there, maybe a S&W J-frame (637, 638, 642) and add a full-length grip. Be aware that the Bodyguard .38 (the polymer one with a laser included) is not compatible with j-frame grips.

In autos, also consider a Ruger SR9C. It's larger than the LC9, but right around the size of the G26.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Shield 9 in thunderwear/smartcarry type holster works great for me when jogging
    BadgerJ likes this.

I use a 9mm Shield in a Pistolwear.com running holster concealed under just a t-shirt and running shorts. I use it 3 to 4 times a week running at about a 9 minute mile. No bounce, comfortable and keeps the gun dry from sweat.

I have also used a G26, G19 and G17 with this holster.

Good luck with your choice.
    DMBfan likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I use my home treadmill and I am within 10 feet of a complete arsenal. Tactical, practical and air-conditioned.
    Sharp07GT likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The trick to ANY carry when you are jogging or doing a lot of movement is a holster setup that does not allow for the firearm to move. 3lbs isn't a bad thing as long as it is not moving. It is the movement that will tear up your skin and get uncomfortable.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

I jog with my Springfield XD9 Subcompact, weighing in at about 30 oz loaded. It's a pretty similar size to the G26, the grip on the XD9sc is slightly longer and is just long enough for me to get my third finger on. I wouldn't want to run with it without a decent belt, or it would bounce/sag quite a bit.

I've also tried running with my friend's Kel-Tec PF9. He keeps it strictly for a truck gun. While it isn't the most enjoyable to shoot (long DAO trigger), he's never had a failure with it. It's also incredibly light, like 18oz loaded. I think my friend paid just under $300 out the door for it. It's definitely more enjoyable to run with the PF9 than the XD9sc.

I don't like all the extra "safeties" added to the Ruger LC9, so I'd take the PF9 over it any day.

I have no experience with the Shield, but it's heavier unloaded than the PF9 is loaded. It definitely seems like a solid gun though. I'm sure the trigger is miles better on the Shield than the PF9.

I'm planning on getting a smaller gun for running at some point, I'm leaning towards either the PF9 or the Shield.

Keeping whatever gun you carry from moving is the most important part. I've tried sticking my XD9 in my crossbreed into a pair of running shorts without a belt. It bounced all over and got really annoying unless I really cinched down on the tie strings. Now I just run in cargo shorts with a gun belt. When it's not moving, you can't really tell it's there.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    I use a 9mm Shield in a Pistolwear.com running holster concealed under just a t-shirt and running shorts. I use it 3 to 4 times a week running at about a 9 minute mile. No bounce, comfortable and keeps the gun dry from sweat.

I have also used a G26, G19 and G17 with this holster
    Good luck with your choice.
    I remember seeing the pistolwear site, just couldn't remember the name. Any significant differences in how each of the Glocks handled/rode with that setup?

Wife found the CW9, or PF9 in Undertech compression shirt to work for her.

She eventually gravitated to the CW9 only simply because she shot it better because of the trigger and recoil. The PF9 did require more maintenance to keep it from rusting than the CW9 did as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'd prefer revolvers for smaller guns. I like the LCR, but if you have to get that pinky on there, maybe a S&W J-frame (637, 638, 642) and add a full-length grip. Be aware that the Bodyguard .38 (the polymer one with a laser included) is not compatible with j-frame grips.

In autos, also consider a Ruger SR9C. It's larger than the LC9, but right around the size of the G26.
    I'm kinda picky about revolvers, and have had mixed experiences with them (enjoyed shooting the Judge, didn't so much like the K-frame 38 SPL... not sure why, I tried to like it, but it just wasn't my thing). I also don't have nearly as much experience with them as I do semiautos. I've owned Glock before, have fired M&P several times, so I'm a bit more inclined to stick with what I know and what I shoot well. Nothing against revolvers, just not quite my thing.

I may need to take another look at the SR9c. I initially dismissed it because most of the context was comparison to the LC9, in the sense that the SR9c was larger... and therefore was dismissed ("why would I take a larger pistol?"), but I'll give that one a second look.

Although I just spoke to a local shop that can order a Blue Glock 23 w/ nightsights for a hair over $500... another battle between my heart and my wallet, oy vey (LOL). If I can figure out a way to carry that one comfortably, that may be the direction I go.

(night sights aren't a requirement, but adding them to a gun for <$60 installed is almost too good a deal to say no to).

Just trying to figure out the carry options... I like the look of the pistolwear setup. Smartcarry looks like it might be a little too low on the torso - I think I'd want to secure it either higher up, or move to a 3-5 o'clock IWB carry method.

I really like the TruGlo night sights I had installed on my 23 ! If memory serves me , I paid a little over $60 on mine .
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

gun_bushido likes this.
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

I tried CCW while jogging and I could not get it to work. Too hot here in Houston for anything to be strapped to you while running. I decided to have my 90 lbs German Shepard jog with me. I guess he would not be considered concealed and I sure can't carry him, but he makes feel a lot safer when I jog at night. Both my daughters jog with him as well.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links