Bought a Shield today, feeling a little guilty...

This is a discussion on Bought a Shield today, feeling a little guilty... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been on a waiting list from my LGS for a Shield for over a year now. Actually, I forgot I was on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bought a Shield today, feeling a little guilty...

I have been on a waiting list from my LGS for a Shield for over a year now. Actually, I forgot I was on the list. In the meantime I had purchased a KelTec PF9.

When I got the call about the Shield I took a look at it and bought it.

My comparison of the Shield and the PF9 are the same as what I have read other places on this forum. The Shield is just a hair bigger, and just a little heavier. The PF9 was never fun to shoot, it is very snappy and has a very uncomfortable trigger. The Shield on the other hand is a joy to shoot.

However, I didn't buy either gun to be a range shooter, I bought them to be a self defense weapon. The truth of the matter is that the PF9 NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger, and I'm sure that it was fine for what I purchased it for.

I guess I'm feeling guilty because I read so many negative comments by internet warriors about the PF9 that it put doubt in my mind and therefore I bought the Shield when the opportunity presented itself.

Somehow I just feel more confident in the Shield, even though the KelTec was flawless in it's performance.

On the plus side, now I own both !!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    I have been on a waiting list from my LGS for a Shield for over a year now. Actually, I forgot I was on the list. In the meantime I had purchased a KelTec PF9.

When I got the call about the Shield I took a look at it and bought it.

My comparison of the Shield and the PF9 are the same as what I have read other places on this forum. The Shield is just a hair bigger, and just a little heavier. The PF9 was never fun to shoot, it is very snappy and has a very uncomfortable trigger. The Shield on the other hand is a joy to shoot.

However, I didn't buy either gun to be a range shooter, I bought them to be a self defense weapon. The truth of the matter is that the PF9 NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger, and I'm sure that it was fine for what I purchased it for.

I guess I'm feeling guilty because I read so many negative comments by internet warriors about the PF9 that it put doubt in my mind and therefore I bought the Shield when the opportunity presented itself.

Somehow I just feel more confident in the Shield, even though the KelTec was flawless in it's performance.

On the plus side, now I own both !!
    This is the best part. Now you can get real world experience with both and form your own opinion as opposed to going on those of others. Later if you decide the KelTec isn't to your liking, you can always sell it. You can rest in first hand experience and not have any regrets.

They are both good cc guns. I like my pf9. I continue to love my shield. Every now and then I will carry a different gun just for the hell of it, and I always miss my shield. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Though the pf9 is a good gun, the shield is a higher quality firearm.
    smolck likes this.

Kel-tecs are hit or miss. I just got a good one in my p-32 and would buy a pf-9. But looking for a shield to compliment my 9c. Ive shot a p-f9 and didnt think it shot bad. Not a range gun by no means but a good carry gun. Enjoy both of yours. Im sure they will fill a role in your carry needs.

I have had good luck with my keltec p3ats. But they dont have a good reputation.

The M&Ps do. The one to trust your life to seems to be the M&P.

I look at your carry gun like a sword. You sure dont want it breaking in the middle of crunch time.
    kalashniROB likes this.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have had good luck with my keltec p3ats. But they dont have a good reputation.

The M&Ps do. The one to trust your life to seems to be the M&P.

I look at your carry gun like a sword. You sure dont want it breaking in the middle of crunch time.
    Agreed.
    I WOULD TRUST MY LIFE AND DO WITH MY SHIELD 9mm. I LOVE THIS GUN.
    RELIABLE. COMFY. FEELS LIKE A FULL SIZE. SUPER EASY TO CONCEAL, IT'S AMERICAN, and...well... it's a SMITH AND WESSON!!
    Lots of industry professionals carry and/or trust this gun. I also have 2k rounds through mine and not one hiccup.
    My favorite new CCW pistol. Sexy trigger too.
    I'm looking for a second Shield now, too. I feel bad for these people that have been waiting a year! I got on a waiting list and waited 3 weeks!
    I'm sure you can find one if you just really try to look!
    StormRhydr and smolck like this.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with two good guns. I also bought a perfectly good PF9, and then later picked up a PM9 at a pawn shop, just because it was a good deal and I've always wanted one.

Yea, the PM9 is way better in quality and more pleasant to shoot, but I'm not about to sell a reliable PF9 just because it's been out-classed.

Now you just have to choose which one is your BUG!

Personally, I think "very snappy" and "very uncomfortable trigger" are good enough reasons to upgrade. Either of these things make it harder to hit what you're shooting at, which experts agree is an important thing to do.
    StormRhydr, kalashniROB and MrsHB like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My wife loves her Shield. The only problem we've had is that the front sight dot popped out. I later found out that there were a lot problems with that happening (probably fixed by now). Since my wife wanted night sights anyway, I just used Glow On & painted the sights. Works just fine.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Ive got the clipper. IWB from rosen for the shield w orks really well

VIP Member
    Be free my brother from another mother! You will dig your Shield and probably soon forget about the Kel-Tec leading you to trade it in on another firearm. I dig mine...it's a blast to shoot. It chews em up and spits em out!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Now you just have to choose which one is your BUG!

Personally, I think "very snappy" and "very uncomfortable trigger" are good enough reasons to upgrade. Either of these things make it harder to hit what you're shooting at, which experts agree is an important thing to do.
    That's a very good point, thanks for mentioning it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    That's a very good point, thanks for mentioning it!
    Sure! Actually I would also have great confidence in buying a S&W. Of course you should test it - every manufacturer make some mistakes - but they have great customer service, from my limited experience, and that also helps them hold their value well.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I just got a Shield today too! Compliments my 45c and may replace my LCR for summer carry...
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
    the shield is a higher quality firearm.
    This is all you have to say.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links