another tough decision to make

This is a discussion on another tough decision to make within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for anybody who has read a previous post i made, sorry about that. i was in information overload mode and i am much calmer and ...

View Poll Results: what direction should i go (multiple choice allowed)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep the kimber solo

16 27.12%
  • sell and buy a S&W shield 9

28 47.46%
  • sell and buy a XDs 45acp

10 16.95%
  • (handguns only)have the minimum ammount of calibers make it easier for SHTF , bug out, Armagedon

20 33.90%
  • (handguns only)having the variety makes me flexible, can barter and trade, not a really big deal keeping tab of everything

6 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: another tough decision to make

Question another tough decision to make

for anybody who has read a previous post i made, sorry about that. i was in information overload mode and i am much calmer and pretend to take things slow this time around

i will try to keep it straight to the point and not go too long with this.

i have a glock 19 (used to have a H&K p30 which i still regret selling to this day)

i have always wanted another pistol that was smaller and practical more so for EDC and easier to conceal. after doing some research i fell in love with the kimber solo. i bought one and it's the CDP model with the laser. i like it a lot even though i haven't shot it yet

however, the gun IS designed for a specific type of ammo. i knew that from the start. but now it is kind of bothering me. to me it is starting to feel like i have a high maintenance item. the magazine release is stiff as hell. some will tell me it will become softer as i use it.

the meat and potatoes of this discussion is: do i sell it?? or keep it??? i know i can get about 1000 bucks back from it. the SHIELD was starting to grow on me. i always wanted to have a smith. even tough i didn't get specifically because the kimber is smaller, i am starting to like it.

a second option is a XDs. probably 45 because i already have a 9mm. what do you guys think???

i also wanted to build my SHTF arsenal of just a few handguns and rifles. so there goes the million dollar question. does have 2 or three different calibers to keep track of a disadvantage???? or is it good??? should i have 3 handguns with 3 different calibers?? or keeping all of them at 9 is "Leanest" and that is the way i should go???

thanks

2. Remove Ads

You have the 19 why the need?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    You asked a bunch of questions that only you can answer. Well reasoned arguments can be made on both sides of every discussion item here. If it were me I'd likely dump the Kimber and pick up something that functions like your Glock in the same caliber. Ease of training that way and easier to deal with having sufficient ammo on hand if SHTF is a concern of yours.
    elphius likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You have the 19 why the need?
    i am not a very very big guy and the 19 is a good sized gun but it is not as comfortable as the others mentioned. and i don't always wear baggy clothing and untucked shirts, that is why i wanted a smaller, slimmer gun

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You asked a bunch of questions that only you can answer. Well reasoned arguments can be made on both sides of every discussion item here. If it were me I'd likely dump the Kimber and pick up something that functions like your Glock in the same caliber. Ease of training that way and easier to deal with having sufficient ammo on hand if SHTF is a concern of yours.
    and that is the reason i started this thread. you took the words out of my mouth. i was starting to think that i should get something that works like the glock. but i love the crimson trace laser tough. love it. and the meprolight sights are great too

Quote Originally Posted by elphius View Post
    i am not a very very big guy and the 19 is a good sized gun but it is not as comfortable as the others mentioned. and i don't always wear baggy clothing and untucked shirts, that is why i wanted a smaller, slimmer gun
    If you can get 1000 for the kimber, do that and pick up the shield. IMO it is a good fighting pistol....
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Where is the "sell and buy a Glock 26" option?
    multistage, atctimmy and Stoveman like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    No reason you cannot put a CT on the Glock. All my Glocks are currently wearing meprolights so that shouldn't stop you either.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I was never a fan of the Solo and I remember the earlier ones had issues, not sure if they ever corrected them all where the gun is 100% reliable. If you can get your money back or close to it I'd look at the Shield or the XDs. The caliber would be your choice, I personally find the 9mm to be very comfortable to shoot as opposed to the 45 in that small of a platform.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Where is the "sell and buy a Glock 26" option?
    glock 26 is pretty blocky. but that IS a good idea tough. magazines can be shared and etc. however, i want to give my money preferebly to USA mfg's and have different brands to support them all. thanks for the input

Here's my input on your handgun situation.

1. Sell the Kimber.
    2. Carry the G19.
    3. If you are truly against carrying the G19, then get the G26. There are many accessories for Glock's including night sights.

One thing I want to ask is, have you even given the Kimber a chance yet? You said you haven't even fired it yet. Have you bought a decent holster for it and carried it? Same thing applies to your G19.

If you have, then by all means sell the Kimber and get the G26. If not, I would give it a chance first.

As far as your SHTF/ammo situation, I like a single caliber. I also like a common platform when it comes to handguns so you can interchange magazines.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Here's my input on your handgun situation.

1. Sell the Kimber.
    2. Carry the G19.
    3. If you are truly against carrying the G19, then get the G26. There are many accessories for Glock's including night sights.

One thing I want to ask is, have you even given the Kimber a chance yet? You said you haven't even fired it yet. Have you bought a decent holster for it and carried it? Same thing applies to your G19.

If you have, then by all means sell the Kimber and get the G26. If not, I would give it a chance first.

As far as your SHTF/ammo situation, I like a single caliber. I also like a common platform when it comes to handguns so you can interchange magazines.

Good luck!
    thanks. i have not given the kimber a chance yet. the reason for it would be that if i fired and started using it. it then becomes a used gun. i know this sounds stupid but since i bought it i haven't been at the range. and then this doubt started to grow on me. so here i am. i haven't carried a glock yet or the kimber because the wait to get a nice custom leather holster is astronomical. i have ordered them from brigade gun leather but i still got a few weeks to wait.

for anybody who has read a previous post i made, sorry about that. i was in information overload mode and i am much calmer and pretend to take things slow this time around

i will try to keep it straight to the point and not go too long with this.

i have a glock 19 (used to have a H&K p30 which i still regret selling to this day)

i have always wanted another pistol that was smaller and practical more so for EDC and easier to conceal. after doing some research i fell in love with the kimber solo. i bought one and it's the CDP model with the laser. i like it a lot even though i haven't shot it yet

however, the gun IS designed for a specific type of ammo. i knew that from the start. but now it is kind of bothering me. to me it is starting to feel like i have a high maintenance item. the magazine release is stiff as hell. some will tell me it will become softer as i use it.

the meat and potatoes of this discussion is: do i sell it?? or keep it??? i know i can get about 1000 bucks back from it. the SHIELD was starting to grow on me. i always wanted to have a smith. even tough i didn't get specifically because the kimber is smaller, i am starting to like it.

a second option is a XDs. probably 45 because i already have a 9mm. what do you guys think???

i also wanted to build my SHTF arsenal of just a few handguns and rifles. so there goes the million dollar question. does have 2 or three different calibers to keep track of a disadvantage???? or is it good??? should i have 3 handguns with 3 different calibers?? or keeping all of them at 9 is "Leanest" and that is the way i should go???

thanks
    ***? You are asking if you should get rid of an awesome gun you have not fired yet?! Sell all your guns, back away and ask yourself if you have your self together enough to even consider the option. I don't think so.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

thanks. i have not given the kimber a chance yet. the reason for it would be that if i fired and started using it. it then becomes a used gun. i know this sounds stupid but since i bought it i haven't been at the range. and then this doubt started to grow on me. so here i am. i haven't carried a glock yet or the kimber because the wait to get a nice custom leather holster is astronomical. i have ordered them from brigade gun leather but i still got a few weeks to wait.
    There are great holsters out there that don't require a few month wait. If you have holsters on the way, then you need to at least give both guns a chance before you sell one or both.

Look, you have a 19. I've had a few, and always come back to them.

I am not a Glock fanboy, but I shoot them well. There are no issues.

Don't fall into the trap of 10 guns in different chamberings. A royal pain, trust me.

If you are iffy on the Solo (and I wouldn't blame you), drop it. Get your Shield, 26, or an M&P compact.
    sioux565 and atctimmy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links