LC9 vs SCCY vs Nano

This is a discussion on LC9 vs SCCY vs Nano within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Used to own a LC9. It's terrible. Lawyered up like a Harvard law student and a trigger pull that's so long, you could fall asleep ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LC9 vs SCCY vs Nano

Used to own a LC9. It's terrible. Lawyered up like a Harvard law student and a trigger pull that's so long, you could fall asleep awaiting for it to go bang.

I have shot the Nano and it's a very decent gun. Extremely simple and clean but slightly heavy for what it is. I thought it would be lighter but it tips close to 18oz unloaded. Porky. I've also heard lots of discontent about Nanos with FTE issues.

What I did end up buying and I'm still flabbergasted at how amazing it is for well under $300: the SCCY CPX-2. My review below.

SCCY CPX-2 9mm Review

So my vote's for the SCCY.

2. Remove Ads

In had a Nano as well (was my EDC when I joined). It is a decent gun but I also had an issue with FTE's and 115 gr. ammo. Then I picked up an SR40C.....Love it and the higher round count. I shoot it much better than the Nano too.
    Size wise they are similar with the Ruger being longer but just as easy to carry so I sold the Nano. Then I thought I'd like to have another 9mm so I picked up a CPX-2....What a NICE gun! I am very surprised at how well it seems to be built and how well it shoots. Recoil is less than the Nano was and the trigger is better IMHO. Got it for 259 total shipped to my FFL. You can't go wrong with the SCCY.
    DetChris likes this.

D: none of the above.
    Yesterday I bought a Kahr CM9.
    I followed the recommended cleaning, lubricating, and break in. I put 5 different types of cheap ammo thru it with only one FTF and I think it was the round that was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    Not to hijack this thread too much, but I wonder if I could get a little help here. I have the two frame pins out as well as the anchor pin for the trigger spring, but the rail does not want to lift out from the frame. The front portion will lift up, but the rear will not. It's as if it remains anchored. I've watched Eric's video, but since his hands cover almost the entire gun throughout the video, it's not much help.
    Thanks.

Nevermind; got it.

I can't comment on the other guns but I love my Nano. By now I must have about 1,500 round through it with zero issues. No failures of any kind, and I've run everything from WWB 115gr ball to 147gr Black Talons. Eventually it might have a bobble or hiccup but so far it's as reliable as death and taxes. Most of the time I like to carry my HK P30S or HK USP, but when I need something smaller I grab the Nano with complete confidence. It's easy to conceal with the 8 round mag and it simply vanishes with the 6 round mag. In the summer I wear it with shorts and a T-shirt and have never got so much as a glance from anyone.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

What do you use as an IWB holster for the nano?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Decoy562 View Post
    What do you use as an IWB holster for the nano?
    Why would you use an OWB holster? I carry a Nano, and use either a belly band, or one of two FoxX holsters for it; the traditional hybrid or the Little Foxx AIWB. Conceals well, comfortable, and easy draw.
    Very secure way to carry a Nano, and it won't shift around like a loose pocket carry. I also dislike pocket carry because it prevents any means of drawing the weapon when seated. Can't pocket carry with jeans, either.. at least not in a front pocket without printing (with anything bigger than a 2 shot derringer.)

How would you carry a Nano?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    I've owned both a SCCY CPX-2 and an LC9.

LC9- super flat profile thanks to the single stack magazine, polymer lower, loooooooooooong trigger pull (I have large hands and long fingers so it sucked for me). the butt just barely had enough room for my pinkie finger even with the finger extension on the mag. I hated the DAO and the fact that when the slide locks back you have to actually pull it back to relaese the spring loaded slide lock instead of just disengaging the lock. And on another note, the takedown is a pain and you need a tool to get the recoil guide rod to go back into place. Without it the spring just bends and it just sucks lol.

SCCY- has a little more heft to it but not really a lesser weapon. Same design with a polymer lower and SS slide. I personally put 120 rounds through it in about an hour and not a single failure of any sort. I liked the fact that the magazines were 10 rds but the spring in them buggers are tough!!!! A speed loader is highly recommended and leave those mags loaded to soften up those springs. Again I personally found issue with the length of the butt, this time my pinkie barely even on the grip. When firing this caused the edge of the grip to dig right into the bottom of my palm so I was a little put off by it. The lifetime warranty that guarantees the weapon no matter how many owners it goes through so I don't really see a problem with that!!!

I sold both for the same reason, I can't stand the stupid recoil on these compacts. I'll stick to my full size P226 lol
    I fixed the long trigger pull on my LC9 with about $35 in parts from Galloway precision. The trigger pull now breaks halfway back and is much easier to shoot well. The issue with the slide lock and having to slingshot the slide instead of pressing the slide release goes away after a few hundred rounds. My LC9 mag release works just fine now. I have never had that issue with the recoil guide rod spring. I had the spring in mine come off the rod the last time I cleaned it and it was easy to put back together.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

The problem for me with the LC9 is spending $50-600 for a gun, then having to take it immediately apart to remove the mag-disconnect, and replace or install another $50-200 worth of parts from Galloway Precision just to make it an acceptable firearm. It's mainly why I decided not to buy one.
    DetChris likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Why would you use an OWB holster? I carry a Nano, and use either a belly band, or one of two FoxX holsters for it; the traditional hybrid or the Little Foxx AIWB. Conceals well, comfortable, and easy draw.
    Very secure way to carry a Nano, and it won't shift around like a loose pocket carry. I also dislike pocket carry because it prevents any means of drawing the weapon when seated. Can't pocket carry with jeans, either.. at least not in a front pocket without printing (with anything bigger than a 2 shot derringer.)
    How would you carry a Nano?
    I asked IWB. I currently use an Uncle Mike's IWB holster but trying to see if there is something better.

I asked IWB. I currently use an Uncle Mike's IWB holster but trying to see if there is something better.
    Everything's better than uncle mikes. Ugh.

Try Galco or Foxx.

Ahh OK I gotcha. I must have misunderstood. I thought you were surprised he used an IWB for a Nano.. haha

Anyway, try FoxX (either the hybrid or little foxx) or a remora or something. There are plenty of good nano holsters. I use both of the Foxx models, but I have a centerfire laser on mine so I had to find a holster that accomodates that.

DSCF8232_zps1f51a110.jpg

DSCF8225_zpsd52a9bc7.jpg

the above are pics of the little foxx with laser. I don't have a current pic of my hybrid for the Nano.. wait, I'll go snap one now.

here ya go!

DSCF8296.jpg

DSCF8298.jpg

DSCF8299.jpg

I have banged on the LC9 and the SSCy both, but have not owned either. The LC9 felt good in the hand, was accurate, recoil was easy, and it ate everything i fed. My dislikes were the loong trigger, which is fixable with a trigger kit, and the sights. The sights left me wanting more out of them. But this would not have kept me from buying it. The SCCY had a little more weight but it was not detrimental. it too ate everything, was accurate, easy on recoil and felt good in the hand. It to left me wanting on the sights.

I have not shot a NANO, but I did not like the hand feel, so I didnt plunk down the cash to test fire one. In the end, I settled on the M&P shield. Much better trigger and sights, uber accurate, soft shooting evem with hot loads, great hand feel, and light weight. If I did not get a shield, it would have been a hard pick between the LC9 and the SCCY, but I prob would have went with the SCCY....hope this helps.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My LC9 is a fine gun. Ruger designed it with safety and CCability in mind and they hit the mark on both. If it's not for you then its not for you. I know mine will go bang should I need it to. It hasn't failed me yet. Would I but it again if given the chance? Absolutley!

Dono

Thanks Glasswolf!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links