What is the best gun for me under $500?

This is a discussion on What is the best gun for me under $500? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a 20 year old female, and am planning on getting my concealed carry when I turn 21. However, I've started to research guns ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What is the best gun for me under $500?

I am a 20 year old female, and am planning on getting my concealed carry when I turn 21. However, I've started to research guns now, but there are so many options I really don't know where to start. I need a gun that will be a good fit for my small hands, and easy to shoot if I'm ever in a threatening situation. So far I've shot a Glock, but I'm not sure if that would be the best fit for me.
    Aceoky and HAGJewels like this.

I got my Ruger LCR .38 for $425. It's an excellent sd gun for carry other otherwise. Revolvers are "5 for sure" compared to "15 maybes" in a semi. Pull a revolver out of a safe or pocket after 5 years and it'll go bang 5 times and be ready for more.

Go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch out. Nobody can tell you what is best for you (although we'll all give it a shot). Glock 19 or 26 run $499 in my neck of the woods.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

If you have a shooting range that rents/sales guns near you, go in and tell them what your budget is and ask if you can try out what they recommend.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thank you! I'll have to try both of those out! I've only recently become interested in guns so there is a lot I need to learn.

depending on your size concealability becomes a factor as well. A 4" revolver may be very comfy to shoot, but a beast to carry. A snub nose revolver is easier to carry, but can take some training (at least practice) to be proficient with. It is the balance that many of us search for and some have found.

I highly recommend against purse carry FWIW. Welcome to the non victim side, stay safe.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

LCR is a great firearm as I have pointed out before - and I have one as a bug myself - but it is not an easy gun to practice with. It is a hand stinger for sure. Just throwing that out there, which could come into play as you will need to shoot it a lot to become proficient with it. test fire one if you are able before buying. If it does not bother you too much (I can deal with it ok) then it is a great recommendation for you, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch out. Nobody can tell you what is best for you (although we'll all give it a shot). Glock 19 or 26 run $499 in my neck of the woods.
    Going to the range and trying some of the gun they have for rent is a great idea. If they do not a Ruger LC380 or Bersa 380CC check out another range to see if they have them. These 2 guns should be in your gun trials so you can make a complete choice of a gun that suits you...
    Best of luck and remember getting a carry gun is like picking a husband ---- (you have to love him and he must work.).

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

+1 for a Glock 19, 9mm. Get a Gen 3 if you can, Gen 4, if not.

You might well also consider a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm.

As regards NOT carrying in a purse...I agree belt & holster carry are best. There are a lot of ways to carry.

But, I learned that many women are NOT going to belt & holster carry. That being the case, galco makes some womens carry purses, and the option I sometimes use, that some women like as well, is a Maxpedition Versapak.

Im a guy, and when I carry it, no one ever gives it or me a second look. Im still amazed by that, btw. But its a great option.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    Going to the range and trying some of the gun they have for rent is a great idea. If they do not a Ruger LC380 or Bersa 380CC check out another range to see if they have them. These 2 guns should be in your gun trials so you can make a complete choice of a gun that suits you...
    Best of luck and remember getting a carry gun is like picking a husband ---- (you have to love him and he must work.).

Haha that is good advice! Thank you!

VIP Member
    An M&P9c can be had for $499 before tax at Sportsmans Den. Several women have run mine, and they all liked it very much.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by MarianaJoy View Post
    I am a 20 year old female, and am planning on getting my concealed carry when I turn 21. However, I've started to research guns now, but there are so many options I really don't know where to start. I need a gun that will be a good fit for my small hands, and easy to shoot if I'm ever in a threatening situation. So far I've shot a Glock, but I'm not sure if that would be the best fit for me.
    The BEST gun for you is the one YOU shoot the BEST!!!!!!!!! Follow the advice others have posted and get to a range that rents. If you can't locate one that rents go to one that has a lot of shooters. Most will be very happy to let you shoot a few rounds to help make your decision.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I am going to recommend you look at a Ruger SR9c. LCRs are nice but they are a little hard to learn to shoot with and can be a little hard to practice with. They are great carry guns though. The SR9C is bigger and heaver and so makes it easier to shoot and to practice with.

VIP Member
    Welcome MarianaJoy.

Revolvers are very reliable, but tend to be more difficult to shoot accurately when compared to semi-automatics. The main reason is revolvers have long and heavy trigger pulls compared to most semi's. The small revolvers can also kick a bit, but you can tame them by using standard pressure (i.e., not +P) ammo.

As others have mentioned, you need to try out several guns at a range. For revolvers, I recommend sticking to the "five shot" j-frame size. For semi's, I recommend sticking to the "sub-compact" or "compact" size. I recently acquired a Smith and Wesson Shield and I really like it. It also accommodates my wife's grip very well. However, the Shield is just one gun of many that are under $500.

Unless you are lucky, no one gun will be perfect. Each gun you try will like have some positives and some negatives to you; this is really subjective, so it's very difficult to make a recommendation with any confidence. All I can suggest is try out several or more, and pick one with with which you feel most comfortable.

A word about purchasing a gun - watch out for the "upseller." You'll know him when you see him.

You may also want to check out Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. - a blog with a woman's perspective on concealed carry.

Edit: And this page in particular: http://www.corneredcat.com/article/c...-on-a-handgun/
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post

The LC380 and Bersa Thunder are great recommendations for semis. The .380 is a light round that requires lighter slides and softer springs. Very easily manipulated, very light recoil and a good platform to learn semi auto pistols with. The .380 ACP isn't a great round but it can get the job done for typical SD situations. Just be sure to carry a magazine or two spare.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links