Not all 1911s are created equal.

This is a discussion on Not all 1911s are created equal. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I headed out to the range today for a light session with two of my favorite 1911s: a Colt Commando and an Ed Brown Kobra. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Not all 1911s are created equal.

Not all 1911s are created equal.

I headed out to the range today for a light session with two of my favorite 1911s: a Colt Commando and an Ed Brown Kobra. The Colt Commando is designed to combine the best attributes of the Officer's ACP and the Commander by mating a 3.5" slide to a lightweight full-size frame. It was built in Colt's Custom Shop and has a fit and finish worthy of their attention to detail. Ed Brown's Kobra is a full-size 1911. The quality of this pistol is second to none. The weight and balance of J.M. Browning's original design is truly as close to perfection as I think any pistol has ever come. Ed Brown took that design to the next level; although this is the only Ed Brown I have ever shot, I would imagine all of his products feel the same way. Am I right?

Though both pistols are very different in construction, both are considered well-built, high-end semi-custom pistols.

I love to carry the lightweight Colt. It is lightweight, ~26oz unloaded, and carries 8+1 of .45ACP in a package not top much larger than the plastic pistols so popular in gun mag reviews today. I can wear it for extended periods of time without tiring. But shooting it is even more fun. It can get a little bit jumpy with +P ammo, but it is entirely manageable. Follow-up shots are quick and on target, although a firm grip is necessary (as you would expect).

But just as I begin to get attached to the Colt, the Ed Brown reminds me why there is nothing quite like a finely tuned, 5" 1911. The bullets seem to track the same path to the target as their predecessors. Speed and accuracy are almost effortless. I can't help but want to shoot more. While this can get extremely expensive, there's just nothing like it.

I love all 1911s, but I really love shooting nice 1911s. Once you felt the smooth-as-glass action and experienced the tack driving accuracy it is hard to go back to anything else.

----

If you are a 1911 fan, do you agree?

If not, what pistols in your safe make you feel this way?

By the way, I'm not looking for the "my gun is 100% reliable" reply. My 1911s are as well. This is about feel, fit, finish, and balance.
    QKShooter and gasmitty like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While I have just a few 1911s I have not had the pleasure of owning or shooting any of the higher end ones yet. Hopefully that will change.
    QKShooter likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My 5'' Colt Xse while not custom is put together great and hasn't hiccupped yet. It's my first 1911 and when I compare it to my glock and m&p it's just a marvel to me how JMB got the gun so right, so long ago. I can only imagine what a Brown feels like, I wont even touch one until I have the cash to blow because I'm scared ill go head over heels. My Colt still feels better than the other production guns that were available to me when I was 1911 shopping. Very Happy with the Pony
    QKShooter and glockman10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    ...it's just a marvel to me how JMB got the gun so right, so long ago.
    You are so right.

And I guess that is partially my point. While I love all 1911s, there is just something amazing about the 5", original design. It just wants to do what it is supposed to do. You don't have to work it that hard in order to make that happen. Dang!
    QKShooter likes this.

This is about feel, fit, finish, and balance
    The 1911 is a wonder to hold and shoot. In the hands of a skilled shooter it is a tack driver. However, it is not, or will it ever be the end all, be all. Some of the tupperware guns are pretty dam good....Just saying...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Know what you mean. I have a S&W PC1911 & a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD. The Performance Center S&W, although a fine gun, doesn't hold a candle to the Kimber for fit or finish. THe S&W carries better, but the Kimber just plain outshoots it.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I ve had two nice ones, but gave to my sons on special occasions, had wilson professional lightweight an a concept 111 from les baer have to say they are very nice but a brick to carry. And i have gotten my guns down to only carry. I can tell you I can keep up with both sons an even beat them with my CZ 75 p01. And even get close with my SP. a nice .45 is a joy to shoot though.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The 1911 is a wonder to hold and shoot. In the hands of a skilled shooter it is a tack driver. However, it is not, or will it ever be the end all, be all. Some of the tupperware guns are pretty dam good....Just saying...
    I'm not taking anything away from the Tupperware guns. I have several H&Ks, and I love each one of them. In fact, my USP Expert shoots every bit as well as my 1911s. It feels great! But it is different, and I'll go ahead and say it, less great then my 1911s.
    QKShooter likes this.

The 1911 has been in existence for about one hundred and two years. People still want to buy, shoot and keep them.

That says it all to me.

HUA
    QKShooter and chief8991 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I've owned 5 1911's over the years. The first was a Thompson Arms, pre-Kahr. Since then I've had a Taurus, Sig, SA and now a Dan Wesson CBOB. While I've enjoyed shooting them all, none of the previous ones come close to matching the smoothness and accuracy of the DW.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've owned 5 1911's over the years. The first was a Thompson Arms, pre-Kahr. Since then I've had a Taurus, Sig, SA and now a Dan Wesson CBOB. While I've enjoyed shooting them all, none of the previous ones come close to matching the smoothness and accuracy of the DW.
    I've owned countless 1911's and currently own 5 of them, including a Dan Wesson CCO and an EB Special Forces. As great as the Dan Wesson is (and it is great), it is not in the same league as the Ed Brown.

Dan Wesson is the best production 1911 made IMO, the EB is one of the best 1911's made, period.

I own both a Colt Officer's Model and Series 70 Gov't Model and have seen my own attitude shift. Years ago that OM was a 'go to' EDC then along came my GLOCK 19 at work replacing my Smith Model 64. This afforded me a 16 shot gun(15+1)basically in the same size envelope. Granted the G19 was a duty gun so I got use to carrying it daily, but I also felt if you're going to carry a 1911 go with one as originally designed. I sometimes wish I had purchased TWO 5" Colts and eliminated the issues you sometimes have with the smaller 1911 platforms. In closing I'll be purchasing Wilson Combat 47d mags for my Gov't Model. Come 'winter' here in GA the old gal will give the G19 a well-deserved 2-3 month vacation.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Where are the pictures?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I guess I did NOT actually answer the premise of the thread... so here goes. I love Colts, but I can imagine how well a full-house Ed Brown , Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Les Baer must feel. Those Cabot 1911's look outstanding as do those pieces of 'art' that Volkmann produces. The question is do they warranty the expense($$$)for the average Joe? Hard to say, and in this economy I don't know if I'll ever find out !(LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I've had a few of the high end. But for the money spent, I'd rather have a Colt.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links