First post and about a glock (kinda long)

This is a discussion on First post and about a glock (kinda long) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heys guys been lurking for a while some of you probably know me from other forums such as TFL,THR, and others. I have a few ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First post and about a glock (kinda long)

First post and about a glock (kinda long)

Heys guys been lurking for a while some of you probably know me from other forums such as TFL,THR, and others. I have a few guns well a few to many says the wife and because my 2 safes are full lol so in order get get a new one I need to trade one in. I am thinking of giving a glock 19 a try and thinking of getting rid of my fairly new CZ40P mainly because the price of 40S&W shells and it is a gun I really have no use for, and I may even carry the G19 some after I get used to it even though I usually carry my j frame mostly. Here are my questions.

Do you feel comfortable with glock not having a safety other than the built in ones?

Will the polymer frame last through my lifetime?

What are your thoughts on the NY1 trigger (8Lbs) and the NY2 trigger (12lbs)?

Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compaired to 40S&W? (just curious don't want a froum war on whats better )

What keeps the pins from backing out in a polymer frame and has anyone ever had that problem?

I use winchester white box JHP personal protection in all my guns for carry, does the g19 like this round and how do you like it?

Btw sorry for the long first post, also I have shot a G19 and it fit my hand perfect but I still a little leary of a polymer guns longevity and never owned one other than my P22 which I don't really worry about its life span.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mastinson View Post
    ... Here are my questions.

Do you feel comfortable with glock not having a safety other than the built in ones?
    Yes, in safe hands they are as safe as any other gun on the market.

Yes, you have nothing to worry about there. This stuff is VERY durable and will last as long as you will ever need it to.

Sorry, never tried either of these.

Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compared to 40S&W?
    Yes, I have seen it. I carry 9mm everyday. I assure you, with a properly placed shot, the corpse won't care what caliber you used.

What keeps the pins from backing out in a polymer frame and has anyone ever had that problem?
    Friction. If the pin is installed off center, vibration can cause it to move a little over time. Yes, I have experienced this in more than one polymer gun. All I have had to do to fix the problem is make sure that the pin is centered and keep an eye on them.

I use Winchester white box JHP personal protection in all my guns for carry, does the g19 like this round and how do you like it?
    Again, I have never used this particular round, but I can say that just because my gun (even if it is a G19) likes it, doesn't mean that yours will. Just try it.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I will only comment on three...The comfort factor. Next to a Browning HP or 1911 the Glock 19 size is my favorite gun and fits my hand very well.

Reliability....Chuck Taylor the instructor and writer has put well over 500,000 rounds through his store bought Glock 17 and it still goes bang. Tell me of another production firearm that has done that without major reworkings. My agency recalls our Sigs every 10,000 and a good percentage dont come back.

9MM ... well it works just use high quality hallow point ammo. I wouldnt carry it off duty to protect my family (that or my Kahr 9mm) if I didnt trust it to do what needed to be done.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=mastinson;237979]

yes, I carry a G30 iwb every day at work, if you keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire you'll have no problem, DO NOT use a clip draw, always use a holster that covers the entire trigger guard

Will the polymer frame last through my lifetime?not sure, anything man-made will break eventually, I know I've had my H&K for 8 years now and have put a LOT of rounds through it and I show no wear and tear on the frame

for CCW keep the factory trigger, don't go messing with customizations of the trigger for a CCW weapon (just my opinion)

Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compaired to 40S&W? (just curious don't want a froum war on whats better )

9mm is fine, use JHP

never been a problem on my glock or HK

I use winchester white box JHP personal protection in all my guns for carry, does the g19 like this round and how do you like it?

I have 2 friends with G19s and it uses winchester white box just fine

QUOTE]
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

My only comment is on number 1: No, I don't feel completely comfortable. As unlikely as it is to happen, trigger safeties can be failed.

Again, very unlikely to happen, but it does:

http://www.thegunzone.com/mos/ad.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/holster_recalls.html

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Abso-freakin'-lutely. I am the safety, and I trust myself.

I believe there is no foreseeable problem with that.

I would not know, having only used the stock trigger on my 27.

Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compaired to 40S&W?
    I have no authority on that subject.

I was taught by a very nice man who has a GLOCK-specific booth at the local gun show how to totally disassemble a GLOCK pistol using the "GLOCK tool." This of course involves removing all of the pins, and I have never had a problem with them ever working loose on their own even though I have taken the gun apart plenty of times.

Btw sorry for the long first post, also I have shot a G19 and it fit my hand perfect but I still a little leary of a polymer guns longevity and never owned one other than my P22 which I don't really worry about its life span.
    If it feels really good to you, I think you should get it. Do not be leery of polymer guns' longevity. I'm sure it's plenty long, like decades or lifespans. And it won't corrode, so you're actually ahead of the game!

1. The Glock goes bang when it needs to.
    2. No manual safety swiping as part of the drawstroke is a plus to me.
    3. The NY1 with 3.5 disconnector is a nice option that I ran for a while, but prefer the stock setup the best.
    4. 9mm is a great round for cheap practice and with JHPs just as effective as any other handgun caliber on a man if the shots are placed correctly. The 9mm will allow for more bullets on board which is a HUGE factory for me.
    5. No problems with the pins coming out, they have retention divits in them.
    6. The grip is slick but can be changed easily to fit the hand well or AGRIP/skateboard tape/3M deck stripping will do the job and maintain warranty.

I carry a G17 daily after years of looking for the perfect EDC gun for me.

Yes. A safety ON the gun should never replace the safety between your ears. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded, never point it at anything you do not intend to shoot, keep your finger straight and off the trigger and you'll be fine. The fouth rule "keep your weapon on safe" obviously does not apply to this one ;)
    yes. this isn't your father's plastic. the material glock frames are made from is a very durable polymer. Plus, there are metal inserts molded within the frame. This is contrary to the myth that a glock frame will pass through a metal detector. Glock frames cannot pass through, specifically because of the inserts used to strengthen the frame. To be honest, I am willing to bet money that my carry 1911's frame will crack long before my glock's will.
    If you feel comfortable with having a new york trigger to substitute for a safety, than it's your call. Personally, I like my stock 4 lbs. trigger. At least you aren't going in the direction of my "insane" friend. He got a Vanek trigger job (1.5 lbs) on his carry G17 that he swears one day he'll shoot Production with. I think it was an excuse to get the trigger job.
    Do you feel comfortable with 9mm stopping power compaired to 40S&W?
    Yes. A 9mm shot center mass beats a missed .45 any day.
    I could be wrong, but the last time I disassembled my 21 I noticed the pins had small grooves in them. these grooves mate with certain springs within the gun to cause enough tention as to not walk out. I wouldn't worry about the pins walking out.
    I don't know. I don't own a G19 and I havent shot WWB since I began reloading 4 years ago. My defensive load is either Gold Dot or Hydra Shok.
    Glock has been in business for over 20 years, making polymer framed pistols. If their guns were crap, and the polymer process worthless, they would go back to making plastic shower curtain rings. I wouldn't worry about that. If you purchase a G19 and find out later on you don't like it for whatever reason, many gun stores will offer around $450 for it.
    Last edited by razorblade; November 23rd, 2006 at 03:18 AM.

whw

The only safety issue I have idnetified is the danger associated with reholstering your weapon with one in the tube. Just last month an officer in Oregon reholstered his Glock and some material became wedged inside the trigger guard. When he exited his vehicle at the next call, the twisting motion of his body pulled the material up and out of the holster, which caused an accidental discharge of the weapon.

If you go with the 19, which is an excellent gun, just be extra careful when reholstering. That is an extra mental check you have to go through with the Glock when compared to some other weapons.

As for durability and power, it will shoot longer than you will care to, and the 9mm power is more than enough to put a man down. Placement, placement, placement!!!!!

good luck,
    whw

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post

The only safety issue I have idnetified is the danger associated with reholstering your weapon with one in the tube. Just last month an officer in Oregon reholstered his Glock and some material became wedged inside the trigger guard. When he exited his vehicle at the next call, the twisting motion of his body pulled the material up and out of the holster, which caused an accidental discharge of the weapon.

If you go with the 19, which is an excellent gun, just be extra careful when reholstering. That is an extra mental check you have to go through with the Glock when compared to some other weapons.
    As for durability and power, it will shoot longer than you will care to, and the 9mm power is more than enough to put a man down. Placement, placement, placement!!!!!

good luck,
    whw
    I don't think the Glock deserves more attention on this than any other pistol or revolver. If some "material" was in my H&K's holster and I had the safety off it could discharge also....along with my revolver and any other pistol or revolver out there. I just don't see how this comment has any validity singling out Glocks (and I'm not smacking the author here). This type of situation would be a problem with any pistol/revolver that had a round ready to go and safety off/no safety. I think this mental check would need to be in place for everyone, not just Glock shooters.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

whw
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I don't think the Glock deserves more attention on this than any other pistol or revolver. If some "material" was in my H&K's holster and I had the safety off it could discharge also....along with my revolver and any other pistol or revolver out there. I just don't see how this comment has any validity singling out Glocks (and I'm not smacking the author here). This type of situation would be a problem with any pistol/revolver that had a round ready to go and safety off/no safety. I think this mental check would need to be in place for everyone, not just Glock shooters.
    I hope I can clarify. I mentioned the issue concerning reholstering only because I wouldn't want someone to learn the hard way. I don't think it should keep someone from purchasing a Glock. I do think it is a little harder to accidentally discharge a double action only revolver, or DAK semi auto for that matter, when compared to a Glock. Glock has a nice even pull that doesn't require as much force as a DAK revolver.

Believe me, I think Glocks are great guns. So great, that I had a chance to work my way into an armorer's class. After the class I was even more impressed. I just think reholstering requires a little extra attention, just like the 1911 requires extra attention when engaging the safety. Different type guns carry with them unique attributes.

Disagreement always brings more clarity to an issue. I enjoy being challenged to explain my opinions. Often times I've found myself to not be in command of the facts as much as I thought I was.

Hope this discussion helps.

whw

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Short and sweet...

I carry either my Kimber Ultra CDP II...or my Glock-36...I like them both...

Safety = Finger...That's the bottom line!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well guys I have decided I probably won't get rid of the CZ40p after shooting a 100 more rounds through it today because man is it reliable, accurate, and has a lot of punch. Also the main thing I was wanting was a large handgun for the great SHTF senerio and was worried that the CZ40P might not be that durable but a buddy showed me the torture test they did on the CZ-P01 and since my 40P uses the frame from the P01 it should last a lot more longer than I expected.

As for the G19 I may still pick one up someday but right now I have 13 handguns and new ruger SP101 on order that the wife is getting me for Christmas so I will wait and see if glock decides to go with a manual saftey option. Also if anyone has a CZ40P what do you think of it, and how many rounds you put through it?

Also all of those who replied Thanks, and I will continue to browse and post on here because this is great forum.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

welcome, mastinson!

1(safety?) I actually prefer Glock because of no external safety.

2(polymer lifespan?) Uncertain, but I would expect the polymer frame to outlast both of us.

3(NY triggers?) I would not choose them. I like a 3.5# connector and a competition trigger spring.

4(9mm vs .40?) I have G21s (.45) and a G27 (.40)---9mm is not my personal choice, although it is the planet's most popular pistol and submachinegun round.

5(pins?) The trigger pin has a groove into which the slide stop lever drops on assembly---impossible to work out. The other 2 always stay put until I push them out.

6(9mm JHP?) Uncertain. Both of my G21s and the G27 handle a different brand of JHPs with no problems. I would not expect the 9mm JHP to cause any problems either.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My Glock buddy (Glock Gura) told me that the pins(3,in the newer mods.) hardly never need to be removed.

On a new weapon,maybe,to replace existing parts with the parts you want(trigger,connector,slide release,mag release,springs.etc.). Then during the life of the weapon maybe several times. This,for a very deep cleaning.

He sez,the Glocks with the "walkin" pins are the weapons that the pins are taken out and replaced continiously. Probably with the wrong sized tool,or from the wrong direction. -------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links