How does Sig P938 compare to a Ruger LCP?

This is a discussion on How does Sig P938 compare to a Ruger LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like there's been a lot of interest in pocket carry lately. Well, I'm also in the market for a quality pocket pistol, something I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How does Sig P938 compare to a Ruger LCP?

How does Sig P938 compare to a Ruger LCP?

Looks like there's been a lot of interest in pocket carry lately.

Well, I'm also in the market for a quality pocket pistol, something I can easily and comfortably carry in khakis, dress slacks, and occasionally jeans. Shirts are always tucked in and pants are not tight. I love the size of the Ruger LCP (and I've read that Ruger has improved its sights), but I've shot one and the little sucker is just no fun to shoot. I kept having to re-grip it, and its reputation for noticeable recoil is well deserved. I'm entering geezerhood, and felt recoil seems to be getting more felt. I've held a S&W Bodyguard .380 but haven't fired one. I understand that their felt recoil may be a little less than the LCP but still pretty stout.

Were I to get a .380 (and I may end up with one) the Sig P238 looks really attractive, especially with its widely-reported low felt recoil. However, I had rather buy 9mm ammo and have become aware of the P938, just a little larger but I figured the recoil has to be significantly greater than the P238. I haven't found a P938 to try and it seems that lots of us have shot an LCP, so that's a point of reference to me as a bit more felt recoil than I care for. For those of you who have shot a P938, how does the recoil of the little 9mm Sig compare to the .380 and recoil-happy LCP?

Any other suggestions to consider, along reasons why, are much appreciated. And I don't mind saving money if quality is not being sacrificed.

Thanks much.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

2. Remove Ads

Apologies, I have not fired either of the sigs, but I have fired an LCP, and share your pain (literally). My suggestion is only to look closely at lightweight snub revolvers in .38, such as the Smith and Wesson 642 and Ruger LCR. They are slightly larger and more difficult to conceal, depending largely on the grips, but IMHO make up for it with reliability, recoil control, and flexibility in cartridge loads (a revolver doesn't care if it's shooting mild low-recoil loads or +P screamers).

If you really need the slimness of an auto, you might also consider a Taurus TCP, which is very similar to the LCP, seems to have a pretty good reputation and retails for around $200, or go up one size to a Ruger LC380 or LC9. There's also the Kimber Solo, but I seem to read a lot of reports of reliability problems.

Oh, also, if you haven't got that far yet, the P938 is significantly more expensive than the P238, which is pretty expensive to begin with (although it's a pretty impressive little gun).
    Broadus likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Thanks for the suggestions, maxwell97. I forgot to mention that I received my CWP about a month ago and have carried a Charter Arms Undercover 38 SPL that I bought over thirty years ago. I've ordered a Mika pocket holster for it but was trying to get something a little lighter and thinner. A better trigger would be nice, too.

Interesting about the Taurus TCP. The price is right. I have a couple of friends who carry them and like them, but I suspect its recoil is pretty stout, too. Everything's a trade-off, isn't it?
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, maxwell97. I forgot to mention that I received my CWP about a month ago and have carried a Charter Arms Undercover 38 SPL that I bought over thirty years ago. I've ordered a Mika pocket holster for it but was trying to get something a little lighter and thinner. A better trigger would be nice, too.

Interesting about the Taurus TCP. The price is right. I have a couple of friends who carry them and like them, but I suspect its recoil is pretty stout, too. Everything's a trade-off, isn't it?
    So true. I'm pretty tempted to get one of those little .380's myself, they're such a great size for carry.

As for triggers, if you haven't yet, try dry-firing an LCR just for fun - best double-action trigger I've ever pulled.
    Broadus and WINTEJER000 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I recently bought a Kahr CM9. I think it is a tiny bit smaller than the Sig 938 and weighs 2 oz. less @ 14 oz. holds 6+1 rounds of 9 mm with flush magazine but can use other larger capacity Kahr mags. Smooth, crisp trigger, slips easily into a pocket. It handles recoil really well..... It's really a great gun. Best of all it's about $250 less than the Sig 938. Worth a look.
    Broadus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    I recently bought a Kahr CM9. I think it is a tiny bit smaller than the Sig 938 and weighs 2 oz. less @ 14 oz. holds 6+1 rounds of 9 mm with flush magazine but can use other larger capacity Kahr mags. Smooth, crisp trigger, slips easily into a pocket. It handles recoil really well..... It's really a great gun. Best of all it's about $250 less than the Sig 938. Worth a look.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The size sounds good, as well as the price. Have you shot an LCP so I can relate to its recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. The size sounds good, as well as the price. Have you shot an LCP so I can relate to its recoil?
    I own an LCP and agree it is no joy to shoot. The recoil on the CM9 is nowhere near as bad. My first outing with the CM9 I shot 200 rounds with no problem.
    Broadus likes this.

Another thing that occurred to me is that the 938 is single action only and so it is carried cocked & locked. If you pocket carry, lint and debris could get between the hammer and firing pin causing a misfire.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I've never shot a P938 but the LGS trigger pulls seem manly enough for carry but nothing to write home about. I can't get past the button. It's a degenerate philosophical problem I suffer.

Those older LCPs with a dash in the serial number are not ready for prime time - one of the most indecent triggers ever invented. The new LCP, however, with no dash in the serial number is the Jack Russell Terrier of the pocket gun world. Closer bigger targets are a joy with the LCP. It's a pretty good nose picker and eye poker too.
    Broadus likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Another thing that occurred to me is that the 938 is single action only and so it is carried cocked & locked. If you pocket carry, lint and debris could get between the hammer and firing pin causing a misfire.
    The LCP is hammer fired and also requires due diligence. I give it a very quick Frog Lube as needed.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Is the trigger (in addition to the sights) the basic improvement in the newer LCPs, with the felt recoil the same?

I've got an LCP also. HATE IT! LOL But, living in Texas, where its been over 100 degrees just about everyday this past week, can't think of anything else I'd carry in my shorts.

The Sigs are nice, of course, but carrying a single action in my pocket isn't my cup if tea.

My "real" carry gun is a 9mm Shield, which some have been known to pocket carry.

Good luck.
    Broadus likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I have not shot the LCP so I can only comment on the P938.

First off, I liked the P938 so much I bought a second one because I liked the way the bi-tone looked.

Both guns have been flawless and I have no issue with the recoil.

I do prefer the way the gun feels with the 7 round mag as opposed to the flush 6 round mag.

I've pocket carried these guns with ease using a DeSantis holster in my jeans, khakis, shorts, slacks, inside jacket pocket and outside jacket pocket.

P938 Nightmare.jpg

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Broadus likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Not even in the same ballpark to me. I have had both. Sig, hands down. Absolutely love mine, got rid of my LCP.
    jblives2ride likes this.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    Not even in the same ballpark to me. I have had both. Sig, hands down. Absolutely love mine, got rid of my LCP.
    Are you saying that you got rid of your LCP and replaced it for pocket carry with a P938?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links