Help me talk my wife out of an XDs 9mm

This is a discussion on Help me talk my wife out of an XDs 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know nothing about the springfield armory XD series, especially not the single stacks. I fired my room mates XDm in .45 5 years ago ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Help me talk my wife out of an XDs 9mm

I know nothing about the springfield armory XD series, especially not the single stacks. I fired my room mates XDm in .45 5 years ago in college and enjoyed it, but firing a few mags through a gun doesn't tell you much about it.

My wife is a staggering 5'2" and 120 lbs, wears well fit clothing, and refuses to wear anything loose, which is why she is considering a single stack. she also refuses to carry anything smaller than 9mm.

Personally Id rather spend my money on a Glock 19 for her, but with her size and choice of clothing, theres no way shed be able to hide it.
    --------------------------------------
    I'd like to include a little back story on my wife that you all may find interesting.

She grew up in a very liberal household that taught her that guns are the evil tools of murderers and psychotics, and for the first year that we lived together I had to keep my firearms locked up in my fathers gun safe far out of my reach.

My father ended up moving and his new place didnt have the room for his gun safe and so he requested that I take my firearms back and store them at my (our) house from then on.

after much heated debate my wife reluctantly agreed to allow me to bring my firearms home.

one day I'm out in the yard with my pellet gun sighting in a new scope, and suddenly theres a gentle tap on my shoulder and I look up to my wife's smiling face as she says "can I try?".

over 200 pellets, a pack of dirty bird targets, and a 12 pack of cokes later, my wife is all giddy and wants to learn to shoot.

we will be attending classes together over the next year or two before she is comfortable getting her CC.

the one condition of her learning is she wants her own EDC gun to learn with.

So that is what has spawned my question.

EDIT: I should add that the thread title is simply a rhetorical statement aimed at attracting the XD lovers on this forum.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, can't help you here. I love the XDs. They are accurate and reliable. They are outstanding weapons and if you know nothing about Springfield Armory I suggest you learn because they are top quality guns IMO. Biggest thing tho is NOT what you want, but what SHE is comfortable with carrying. She needs to handle and shoot as many EDCs as possible and then pick her favorite (that you can afford). Glad she finally came over to the enlightened side tho!

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta

No can do, sorry.

There's a lot of things I won't do and talking somebody out of buying a quality firearm is one of them.
    tcox4freedom and Lish like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Send her to the forum listed below. That should do the trick. All she needs to know is Glock 19, 9mm.

Btw, that forum has a womens section, and a good video on CC for women.

Sign In | GetOffTheX
    Christopher67 likes this.

don't know anything about the XDs, but i love my recently acquired XDm. i would think the XDs would be a good candidate for a controllable single stack 9. Have you considered the Nano? about the same WxH as your px4 but a lot thinner. get much smaller and she may have some real recoil and control issues given her small stature.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Why do you want to talk her out of the XDs again? Maybe I'm not following you, but it sounds like she wants a single stack because of her clothing choices, which I have no problem with.

You mentioned a Glock, but what kind of gun would you prefer she have and why?
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

in my experience, every time i got my wife what i thought she ought to have instead of what she wanted i have regretted it. she needs to be informed and educated, and she needs to try a bunch of guns, but it needs to be her decision, IMHO.
    blitzburgh, .XX and Fitch like this.

Let your wife choose, she's a big kid now.

cj
    Followed everything except WHY you're trying to talk her out of one? Sounds like a bad choice to try to talk her out of something that she has her heart set on. I personally don't have any opinion on the XDS, but can't really see where you're coming from with the 'Help me talk my wife out of an XDs 9mm'

The XDs is a solid performer. I want to add one. Why would you want to talk her out of it?

I apologize for my confusing thread title, it was simply a rhetorical question that I was hoping would attract the XDs lovers on this forum. she has checked out a few Rugers, Glocks, and the Springfields, so far the XDs is her top choice.

It's a solid gun, I have the .45 version and absolutely love it - would like to add a 9mm one day perhaps.

the one condition of her learning is she wants her own EDC gun to learn with.

So that is what has spawned my question.
    Sounds fair enough to me.

Given the background you gave on her, I'd expect you to be doing cartwheels and back flips out of excitement for her "coming around". Let her grip, touch, fondle, and shoot any firearm she shows an interest in. Don't talk her in or out of anything.

Too often us men try to make decisions for our better half (referring to guns here), assuming what we like is what they'll like. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

With all due respect, butt out, and let her find "the one". The one she's happy with, the one she'll actually carry, the one she'll enjoy shooting, etc.
    ChadliusNH, 6459 and Lish like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm assuming you mean she wants the .45 version and you're worried about her being able to control it? If this is the case it's certainly understandable since she's new to guns and getting a small pistol. Instead of trying to talk her out of the XDs .45 try to talk her into (at least trying) the XDs 9. Same size, higher capacity, less recoil, similar ballistics with the modern 9mm ammo on the market from what I've read (someone more versed in ballistics might want to confirm this).
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

she will surely acquire "Multiple Firearm Acquisition Syndrome" soon enough, so if the XDs isn't totally what she hoped for, she can start building her collection.
    ChadliusNH and blitzburgh like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links