Taurus mini revolver 380 acp

This is a discussion on Taurus mini revolver 380 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own one of these? I know the trigger is heavy, etc but just wondering what others think. I have plenty of good defense ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Taurus mini revolver 380 acp

Does anyone own one of these? I know the trigger is heavy, etc but just wondering what others think. I have plenty of good defense guns but this is different. Probably not the highest quality but not expensive either. Here I can get a new one for $325 when they get another one.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I'd rather have .38/ .357 snub for close to the same $
    fredg53 likes this.

Where is here?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Huh, never seen that before. Might make a good pocket gun. Actually I think I'd prefer that over their tiny .380 semi-autos, probably more reliable. The price seems a bit steep, but not terrible.

Knowing nothing else about them, my one concern might be the moon clips, which are great for reloading, but can get bent fairly easily, potentially causing a jam. You'd probably want to get some kind of carrier for them.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Never knew they had one in .380 til now, interesting.. I like the look of it too. A picture for those interested:

At $325, I'd take a chance with Taurus on one. I've yet to have any problems with Taurus revolvers.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    Does anyone own one of these? I know the trigger is heavy, etc but just wondering what others think. I have plenty of good defense guns but this is different. Probably not the highest quality but not expensive either. Here I can get a new one for $325 when they get another one.
    I've had a number of .380's over the years, and consider it a good 'deep carry' round. The little .380 autos offer a couple of advantages over a .38 snub - a slim profile, and generally higher capacity.

This gun gives up both of those advantages, and adds the awkward downside of running a semi-auto cartridge in a revolver. I'd take a .38 any day - J-Frame, LCR, whatever. For the same money, or at least close, you could probably find a Charter Arms Undercover or Off-Duty .38 which would be a preferable gun. JMO
    atctimmy likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Well how about that....

Possibly a fix for a problem that didn't exist.
    pgrass101 and archer51 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Well how about that....

Possibly a fix for a problem that didn't exist.

Exactly what I am thinking
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Never knew they had one in .380 til now, interesting.. I like the look of it too. A picture for those interested:

At $325, I'd take a chance with Taurus on one. I've yet to have any problems with Taurus revolvers.
    I'd also ask if 380 was mandatory? The Taurus pictured above is similar to their 38 or 357 in same size and cost. Plus you'd get a more effective caliber. Nothing against 380 but apples to oranges, I'd opt for the 38. OR ... the Taurus 605 (which I carry) which is a 38/357. Can't beat it and reliable.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

My wife is very recoil sensitive and she has problems operating a slide. Depending on how heavy the trigger was this might work for her.

I would also stick with a J Frame or LCR for a few more bucks I would go.38 in one of those two both very concealable

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I personally have not had a good experience with Taurus products or their customer service. I no longer have a Taurus product. I have also heard that some experienced a barrel to cylinder clearance problem and a moon clip problem, and IMO points straight to poor QC. If I was in the market for a small revolver I doubt that it would be in .380.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

The reason for 380 is because I have a huge supply of 45 and 380 ammo that I purchased before the dry spell. I want a small revolver so 45 is out. The store I talked to was Champions. They don't have one now but the guy I talked to said to check back and that the price would be $325. What kind of warranty does Taurus have? I have read that they do have good customer service. I have never owned a Taurus and have heard both good and bad but again the price is good. I guess I just think it is neat. Some really like Taurus.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    My wife is very recoil sensitive and she has problems operating a slide. Depending on how heavy the trigger was this might work for her.
    This is a good reason for this pistol.

For the OP I carry a Taurus 605 most everyday, it has proven to be a solidly reliable gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    The reason for 380 is because I have a huge supply of 45 and 380 ammo that I purchased before the dry spell. I want a small revolver so 45 is out. The store I talked to was Champions. They don't have one now but the guy I talked to said to check back and that the price would be $325. What kind of warranty does Taurus have? I have read that they do have good customer service. I have never owned a Taurus and have heard both good and bad but again the price is good. I guess I just think it is neat. Some really like Taurus.

I have never personally used Taurus's warranty. However they do advertise a LIFETIME warranty that follows the firearms and not the purchaser. So even if you are the 3rd owner you can send it in for repairs. However I *doubt* that they will pay for the shipping to them, but I have heard if you can prove that it has been under a year from purchase, they will pay for shipping back to them. I once ordered an extra set of sights for a Taurus PT709 and they sent me some for free and I received them in less than a weeks time. Some people have had bad experiences with the warranty, but as with anything, you will have bad and good services. God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links