You know you're getting older when.......

This is a discussion on You know you're getting older when....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...You're NOT interested in the latest micro-automatic, revolvers are cool again, you realize 1911's don't need $1500 worth of work to run right, a good ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: You know you're getting older when.......

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

You know you're getting older when.......

...You're NOT interested in the latest micro-automatic, revolvers are cool again, you realize 1911's don't need $1500 worth of work to run right, a good lever-action rifle and pump 12 gauge can cover most self-defense scenarios and you still can have a lot of fun just shooting your .22 ! Does anybody feel the same or close?
    FlaRon, 10thmtn, Hopyard and 28 others like this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

I'm not old but I'm with ya. The only pistols I'm interested in getting would be my first 1911 because every gun guys gotta have one, and a Luger for a safe queen. I mostly want to just focus on buying ammo and shooting the guns that I have. But there are a few revolvers I have my eyes on too. My revolver collection now outnumbers the autos and may only keep growing.
    scgunlover1 and old grunt like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I feel the same way and I'm only 26! Love revolvers and lever actions.
    old grunt and scgunlover1 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Cool

I thinned the herd out a bunch in the last few years.

The only semi auto's I have now are my Glock 19 and 23. I sold the High Power for a nice profit.

I still have my Ruger SP-101 and S&W Model 60, 649 and 65. There not going anywhere anytime soon.

photo.jpgImage.jpgphoto.jpgImage 3.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....

My lever action is a Marlin 39-A and my shotgun is a Stoeger double barrel. Old School.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I still have my patrol rifle a Stag AR from the last department I was with before retiring.

I am comfortable with what I have and yes I am over 65 YOA.

All doctors, nurses, law-enforcement and EMS/firefighters are younger then me.
    Attached Images
    old grunt likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    ...You're NOT interested in the latest micro-automatic, revolvers are cool again, you realize 1911's don't need $1500 worth of work to run right, a good lever-action rifle and pump 12 gauge can cover most self-defense scenarios and you still can have a lot of fun just shooting your .22 ! Does anybody feel the same or close?
    You know you're getting old when it's a relief to find the seat's already down.

I'm with you, on the sentiment, though. Revolvers, a good shotgun, a decent lever-action rifle, a quality semi-auto from a bygone era. The classics never go out of style.
    old grunt and USM1976 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Agreed. For the price of one semi auto rifle, you can outfit the whole family with lever guns and/or shotguns. Plus ammo and training. No brainer to me. And with the current ammo situation, it is nice that you can proof a revolver with only a few cylinders worth of ammo, rather than the several hundred you need with a semi auto pistol.

Simple is good.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'm cheering for you. I don't know if I feel the same or close but I do feel close to the same.

Trouble is, I felt the same way when I was 20 years old and that was in 1977.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    My problem is that I'm at that awkward in between stage where I still see guns I want but I'm too sensible to buy.

Hell, I feel that way now and I'm 22. I also feel too old to really enjoy anything other than 1911 and SA revolvers, a beautiful lever action interests me more than any AR15, and I don't care to wear any kind of tacticool clothing.
    old grunt and Jaeger like this.

Nix
    ...revolvers are cool again...
    Did I miss something? Was there a time when revolvers were not cool? Was there ever a time when a revolver was not a good self-defense option?

I remember reading a story about a MACVSOG member who preferred a Colt Python to the standard Gov't 1911. Thought it was more reliable. Has anything changed since 'nam?
    old grunt, BugDude and Kilowatt3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    My problem is that I'm at that awkward in between stage where I still see guns I want but I'm too sensible to buy.
    A vintage MG-42 would just about do. But I can't imagine my sensibilities lasting the day (nor my wallet). Brr-r-rrrp!, there goes $1500 in ammo. Brr-r-r-rp!, another $2K. Hurts my head just thinkin' about that.

Phrased another way: you know you're no longer young, when that stops being enticing.

old grunt and Stoveman like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm cheering for you. I don't know if I feel the same or close but I do feel close to the same.

Trouble is, I felt the same way when I was 20 years old and that was in 1977.
    Bryan, you KID, you!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Well I am a tad bit older than most DC members, but I do feel the same as old grunt and most likely because of our past experiences. He was in the "other" Airborne Div, and I served in the 11th (56-57) and the 101st.(56, 70-71).

It is hard to believe that I have been married for 53 years and have lived over 3/4 of century...........but going down hill rather quickly.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ITrouble is, I felt the same way when I was 20 years old and that was in 1977.
    Young pups unite! Woof.

Now, for the real question: BmcG, do you remember Kool & The Gang, EW&F, The Osmonds?
    Rock and Glock and Aceoky like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Bryan, you KID, you!

Gary, my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Young pups unite! Woof.

Now, for the real question: BmcG, do you remember Kool & The Gang, EW&F, The Osmonds?
    Yeah, I sure do.

Do you remember push-button AM radios in the car?

Well, forgive me but I used to punch a selector button, changing the station every time a tune came on the radio by any one of those three acts.
    Rock and Glock and Aceoky like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links