Another "vs" thread

This is a discussion on Another "vs" thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a bodyguard .38 sp that I don't carry often. Have someone wanting to trade me an lc9 + ammo for it. Even though i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Another "vs" thread

Another "vs" thread

Have a bodyguard .38 sp that I don't carry often. Have someone wanting to trade me an lc9 + ammo for it. Even though i think I know what type of responses ill get, I'd like to hear some pros/cons/opinions on the scenario from my fellow dc members. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I'd do that trade, I'm pretty sure.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    If you would carry the 9, do it. If it is just going to take the place of the .38 on the shelf of the safe don't do it.
    Lish and sixgun like this.

Nix
    I think you'll miss that Bodygaurd.

LC9's are on the shelf at my local stores. S&W revolvers? Not so much. Keep the Bodyguard. If you want an LC9, save yer spare change and just buy one.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    don't know much about the LC9 other than it's a small 9 mm auto. I believe I'd keep the revolver and try a bunch of different 9mm autos to find one you like, assuming you are actually in the market for one. Just my $.02
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

How much ammo?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

SW Bodygurard revolver is a better weapon than the LC9....IMO only. If you want a single stack 9mm, there are better options than the Ruger.....but there are not much better options for small revolver carry than the Bodyguard.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If either one is a perfectly good, reliable example of a carry weapon, it'll just come down to preference and the value of the deal (ie, how much extra ammo as an enticer).

If one or the other is, in your review of the "facts," a lesser gun and not quite up to the task, by all means let that guide you.

But so far as I know, I would consider each the contemporary and competitor to the other. Pretty much solves the same problem, decent concealment, decent firepower. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either, though my preference is for greater capacity. Up to you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Is it the real bodyguard 38 or the new one?

I like 9mm more than .38. I'd do it, even though the LC9 isn't my favorite gun, I personally would have more use for it.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Frankly, it's a complete toss-up. Just depends on whether you prefer a .38 snub or a sub-compact 9mm. Either is a decent gun that'll do the job.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

don't make the same mistake i did.... sold my revolver for something i can't even remember

Keep the revolver and take the cannoli's.
    The darkest places in hell
    are reserved for those who maintain
    their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

Having owned/sold/traded more handguns than I can remember, I now am back to carrying a 1970's era Colt Detective Special I've had since then (one of the "shiny" ones). It's a little heavier that an S&W J-frame but you get that extra shot. I had the hammer spur bobbed by a gunsmith (Colt hammer spurs are big) so it's DAO. An old school Bianchi Speed-Strip fits flat in any shirt or pants pocket for that extra six.

I didn't make the trade. I'd say most of you aren't familiar w/ my collection but I have quite a few 9's and just about all of the "tiny niney's", as they are calling them. I went and played around w/ an lc9 and wasn't crazy about it. It would sit in my shelf and I'd probably end up passing it on to my brother or something. Thanks for the input. You can't find s&w revolvers around here, but lc9's are in 12 of the 13 local gun shops. By selling my bodyguard, i'd be down to only one s&w revolver and that just doesn't seem right. Thanks.
    Nix, blitzburgh, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links