Keltek PF9 opinions and reviews

This is a discussion on Keltek PF9 opinions and reviews within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at this as one of the possible replacements to the CW9 that I am dumping. How reliable is it? I've heard mixed things about ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Keltek PF9 opinions and reviews

Keltek PF9 opinions and reviews

Looking at this as one of the possible replacements to the CW9 that I am dumping.

How reliable is it? I've heard mixed things about KelTek in that it can be hit or miss with their quality and reliability.

Anyone with first hand experience with the PF9?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Mine was an absolute piece of junk. Out of 650 rounds I had so many malfunctions I lost count but would estimate 15-20% of those 650 were malfunctions. I only made it through 2 or 3 mags without a malfunction.

If you luck out and get a good one congrats. But I would never trust my life to a Kel Tec.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Had one for 2 years not an issue with probably 800 rounds through it. Now the bad...the trigger is a bear very long and stiff I even put the trigger shoe on it that helped out a bit. The sights aren't that great but I point shoot with my pocket pistols and the kick is a little much as well not a range gun for sure 50 rounds was about as much as I could stand in 1 session. All in all not a bad fire arm but I like my LC9 much much better.YMMV

VIP Member
    The most pronounced out-of-the-box unreliability of any gun I have ever purchased.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

My Kel Tec PF9 was 100% reliable and accurate for a smaller 9mm CC pistol.

The problem I had was it was to big and too small: Too big for pocket carry and or deep conceal, Too small for range work, so it became a safe queen until someone else wanted it more than me.

This is a problem I run into with all the single stack 9mm sub compacts, to much and not enough.

Solved the problem by going to a Kel Tec P3AT with CT laser and spare mag for pocket carry; go any where any time, nearly any clothes, primary or BUG .

Also move up my carry to a Glock 36 45acp which hides near about as will as the Kel Tec PF9 and is big enough for some impressive range work also.

J. M. Browning developed both the 380acp and 45acp and both are still very effective.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm with Rammerjammer and Mike: look elsewhere.

Regrettably, a better gun in that sized package will cost you more. The Ruger LC9 just looks too much like pf9 clone, but I've not shot one. I did replace my pf9 with a Kahr PM9 and, later, with the steel Kahr MK9; I found these to be much more reliable and comfortable to shoot. The Glock 26, though harder to conceal, is a magnificent handgun with amazing accuracy and reliability. Spend some time shopping while you save a little more in the "gun budget".

I've had good luck with mine but they seem pretty hit/miss. Good alternative to the LC9 if you don't like the Ruger chastity belt. (assuming your PF9 works of course). They do take some practice to get use to the trigger and they look terrible but it's hard to go wrong for $260. (again, assuming yours works). They use to be the lightest and slimmest pocket 9. Not sure anymore though.

Sounds like a hit or miss gun so far, Do you want to risk it ?
    TN_Mike likes this.

Stop playing games and get yourself a GLOCK!
    SwordMaster likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The PF9 is my EDC but it is not a range gun. I had to put a padded fingerless glove on just to break it in because the recoil is nasty. I still use the glove when I'm at the range, it trains me not to worry about recoil. If you are interested in a deep conceal gun you can't beat it in 9mm. I have never had a FTF/FTE yet but I've only ran about 300 rounds through it. I do not consider it a very accurate gun, but then again Hickok45 hits what he shoots so it's probably me. If I were to replace I think I'd be looking for one around 20 or so ounces, the brand is a matter of choice.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Mine runs fine, but it's a rough as a cob.

If you didn't like the CW9, I can't think of anything that the PF9 is going to offer you.

VIP Member
    KelTec has a horrible reputation on the internet. I have to believe it is because dissatisfied customers are far more vocal than those that are satisfied and that years ago they did send guns out that needed work. If you sent them back apparently they'd come back perfect. However I never had an issue. I've owned 2 P3ATs (and I miss them since I sold them but I decided I didn't trust a 380) a P11 and a PF9. They've all been reliable. The P11 did have a rough stretch in the first 50-75 rounds but ran like a top after that. The P11 was given to a friend that was going through a divorce and her ex-husband decided the guns were his and wouldn't let her have even 1 during the separation and the PF9 was given to a friend that lost his home due to the tornado in Moore, OK and his pistols went with the house. I felt confident in each gift that the KelTec would serve them well until they could get to a position to purchase whatever they really wanted. The down side is now I don't have them. They aren't special enough to be at the top of my list of guns to buy, but I will end up with new versions eventually.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have 3 Kel-Tec's and they are all 100 percent. From reading a lot of posts on different forums, KT's don't like reloads, limp wrists and cheap ammo. They are made for concealed carry..period! If they were so bad, why would several other gun manufacturers copy them? KT has great factory service and a lifetime warranty. They are not fun to shoot but if you handle them right, shoot they will.

I have a pf9 that I carry daily. Light and reliable. I have had no issues with mine. I love it. At the price it is a great value. I would carry an expensive gun for fear of damage. Not a worry with the pf9.

I have had no problems with any of the ammo I have shot through it and some of it was cheap.

As I said in other PF9 threads, mine jammed all the time and after shipping it back for warranty service it still jammed. I could not wait to get rid of it. I have an LC9 now and while it has about the same long trigger pull as the PF9 at least it's of better quality and function.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links